Barefoot

I think its very reasonable to want to get some money back after being a volunteer...#pain&suffering

Also surprised Barefoot isn't asking for more dosh...

And to the cynics...to each their own...

I guess the problem is the use of the word "volunteer", because it's not what the ACE is using it for.

volunteer<p>

ˌvɒlənˈtɪə/ <p>

noun

noun: volunteer; plural noun: volunteers

1. <p>

a person who freely offers to take part in an enterprise or undertake a task.

"a call for volunteers to act as foster-parents"

synonyms:
    ; More

informal

"during the investigation, each volunteer was studied three times"

•  

a person who freely enrols for military service rather than being conscripted, especially a member of a force formed by voluntary enrolment and distinct from the regular army.

•  

a plant that has not been deliberately planted.

[*]

a person who works for an organization without being paid.

"the railway is operated solely by volunteers"

•  

Law

a person to whom a voluntary conveyance or disposition is made.

verb

verb: volunteer; 3rd person present: volunteers; past tense: volunteered; past participle: volunteered; gerund or present participle: volunteering

freely offer to do something.

"140 employees volunteered for redundancy"

•  

offer (help) freely.

"he volunteered his services as a driver for the convoy"

synonyms:
      , put forward, put up,
      More

"I volunteered my services as a school governor"

antonyms:

•  

say or suggest something without being asked.

"it never paid to volunteer information"

•  

commit (someone) to a particular undertaking, typically without consulting them.

"he was volunteered for parachute training by friends"

[*]

work for an organization without being paid.

"volunteering is an easy way to get involved in practical conservation"

synonyms: offer one's services, present oneself, step forward, come forward, make oneself available More

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Advert for one of these went up in the classifieds for R10K @ 13.53.... PM sent to advertiser @ 13.59.

End result of paying to volunteer? R6K profit.

Fair enough I say, if people want it then people will pay. No one is holding a gun to their head.

Advert for one of these went up in the classifieds for R10K @ 13.53.... PM sent to advertiser @ 13.59.

End result of paying to volunteer? R6K profit.

Fair enough I say, if people want it then people will pay. No one is holding a gun to their head.

hahahah unbelievable....hype is a lelike ding

hahahah unbelievable....hype is a lelike ding

the money still looks better in my own account :thumbup:

Paying to volunteer, I still dont get it... could be something scientology related

Most likely same dude, (but a pm doesn't actually infer that it's a sale). If it does then the market currently prices an Epic entry for R63k, but we all know that you can buy these things whenever you want as entries always come up for sale - the closer to April the cheaper they get.

the money still looks better in my own account :thumbup:

Paying to volunteer, I still dont get it... could be something scientology related

10 gorillas dude, add 6 more and you can do j2c(fully paid)....doesnt compute brother. But i suppose its all relative. If you have the geld and want to do the epic its a sure fire way of getting in.

mmm I don't think we are shocked that they pay, more a case of shocked at why they pay?

but yes....ultimately to each their own...if that is what tickles you, go for it.

no I am shocked that they are required to pay in the first place. and no-one has told me how much...I'm not talking about the time off work, or the petrol cost - I am talking about the contract you sign that says you want to be a volunteer.

If the volunteering was free and then you were required to lug stuff around for all 9 days on your own bat and your own petrol, but stayed in the race camp...then fine...but having to pay to do that is what I cant understand

no I am shocked that they are required to pay in the first place. and no-one has told me how much...I'm not talking about the time off work, or the petrol cost - I am talking about the contract you sign that says you want to be a volunteer.

If the volunteering was free and then you were required to lug stuff around for all 9 days on your own bat and your own petrol, but stayed in the race camp...then fine...but having to pay to do that is what I cant understand

That part for me makes quite sense......and I can sum it up in 1 word.....HYPE. The Epic has it....KV did a great job in creating it so take nothing away from the man.

The why part is what I am struggling with. Are the trails / experience that good that you will pay to volunteer your time to pay again the next year for a full entry that is already a crap load of money....How much better is than other stage races where this doesnt happen?

It cant be someone that earns a reasonable living, not being nasty but to pay R4k to work and then still take the time off your dayjob with your own leave.

No wonder they charge up to R10k for said entry form, they need to recoup something, I certainly would

I guess Ill never understand the logic here

10 gorillas dude, add 6 more and you can do j2c(fully paid)....doesnt compute brother. But i suppose its all relative. If you have the geld and want to do the epic its a sure fire way of getting in.

DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH BRAGGING RIGHTS MEAN TO YOU :ph34r:

Guest Omega Man

Sorry for the mini hijack.

KV is my new hero. He has actually managed to pull off the biggest trick in the history of business. People paying you to work for you. Not even Warren Buffet pulled that off.

GENIUS! There is no other word for it.

Edited by Omega Man

On the website it says R3500 for first time volunteer. R1000 if you are a returning volunteer. This includes your food and tented accomodation, t shirt, cap, buff, eating brekkie and dinner with the riders (pro's also)... nee dankie.

If you are a European that is here to support a team €350 for 2 square meals, a tent and transport throughout the event is reasonable going.

I agree that on other races things work slightly differently. My wife volunteered at last year's BC Bike Race while I was riding. She did not have to pay anything to volunteer, but the Canadians have a slightly different financial model to KV and Grandstand Management. She also did not get a guaranteed entry into BCBR for the following year, so therein lies the "value" for some. She did get a very nice goodie bag and a free ticket to the finishers' banquet in Whistler and it was clear that the supporters had as good a vibe going as the riders, as was the case when I volunteered at the Epic

In the greater scheme of things R3500 x say 200 and R1000 x say 200 (R900 000) is a nice little sweetner that probably paid the staff bonusses after the Epic.

Perhaps a more equitable solution would be to give a volunteer a R3 500 discount for the following year's entry if he/she decides to ride the following year (i.e. entry not transferrable). This way you "reward" the keen cyclist who is so dead set on an entry that he is willing to "donate" a week of his leave and a lot of hard work as well. That said, KV has no shortage of volunteers at his event, so why change something that is working quite well for him?

Hi Cyclists

This is Barefoot who originally posted this thread and selling my 2015 Epic Form

As a first timer one pays R3500 to be a volunteer on the Cape Epic.

I am not an active cyclist but a very active Ultra distant runner and support numerous Ultra events.

For those who did this year's Epic I worked at Waterpoint Number 1 and 3. I am sure many of the "slower half of the field" will remember me by my name "Barefoot"

Working as a volunteer is very demanding and hard work to get up at 4am every morning and sometimes still working until 22:00 hours - 8 days in a row.

The "supply and demand" for Epic entries is there, hence that is why I am selling mine

Barefoot

In reply to the many comments have been posted

In a similar fashion, the official massage service offered at the Epic generates quite a handy bit of income (once again, all the physio/sports science/biokinetics students don't get paid to be there): this year, there were 27 beds/therapists in the massage tent, each therapist saw on average about 10 clients at roughly R400/client (R370/session if you got the prepaid package of R2600/7 massages) each day.

Let's call it 200 (for argument's sake) massages per day for 7 days at R400/massage (the walk-in rate) = R560k.