MTB Maintainance Course...to do or not to do.

@Rabubi

For me, there is no substitute for trying yourself...get the tools and take the crank off and see what goes on in there, remove the freewheel body, see how it works etc etc...that is how I learn anyway...somebody preaching to me in class will do nada

True that. If all else fails. take al the disassembled parts to your LBS :oops:

True that. If all else fails. take al the disassembled parts to your LBS :oops:

whahaha too true....but at least you know how it works.

I learned to do everything on my bike EXCEPT fork and shock maintenance. Rouxtie which site would you recommend for learning basic and more advanced service? (Fox). Where do you buy consumables? (seal kits etc), LBS for me is not an option and omnico, the agents for fox in SA, does not sell directly to public. What oil should be used in the fork?

For Fox maintenance, go to service.foxracingshox.com. Everything you need to know about forks is there. The shock you'll only get as far as an air sleeve service, for damper rebuilds you'll have to send it away.

For spares you can drop me a PM or a mail and I'll post them to you. I've got pretty much everything you'll need.

I'm pretty useless when it comes to fixing thing on my MTB - probably because im terrified that I cock something up. So I innevitably end up taking my bike in for silly things and pricey services.

My question is; has anyone done one of these courses? And was it helpful i.e does it leave you with all the knowledge you need to maintain your bike yourself?

Thanks.

If you believe you're a technical retard, then a hands on course will be far better for you than learning by interwebs. Having an experienced mechanic teach you a few basic rules of working with tools will boost confidence far more than watching some oke in a video. If there's stuff you forget (there will be) then google will always be there to remind you.

If you're reasonably mechanically minded, then youtube is the way to go.

For Fox maintenance, go to service.foxracingshox.com. Everything you need to know about forks is there. The shock you'll only get as far as an air sleeve service, for damper rebuilds you'll have to send it away.

For spares you can drop me a PM or a mail and I'll post them to you. I've got pretty much everything you'll need.

:clap: Thanks will do.