sluiper

Shut up Trav! How many Ironmans and halves have you done!?

#nuffsaid :whistling:

Haha. 2 halves. See you 5 October - CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

In true spirit of the hub we have managed to derail this thread completely. #TUE #Honey #Bricksareoverrated

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

12 weeks to go! Will be my 1st 70.3  Looking for some advice.

What are the odds that it will be a wetsuit legal race? Should I consider getting a wetsuit?

Where should I be in my training now? I am capable of doing each of the 3 disciplines on its own at a pace better than what I am targeting for the 70.3  But the wheels came off the other day when I combined a 10 km run/70 km ride/5km run. My pace with the 2nd run leg was terrible, almost 1 min/km longer than what I am targeting. The 1st run leg and bike leg was done at 70.3 race pace. It was a flat easy course, no swim leg and only 70km/15km in total. Should I be worried about my endurance or is it still to early?

Last question is Brick sessions. What should I aim for in the next months? Should I build up to a 90/21 (by early Jan) or should I keep to short brick sessions (e.g. 50/10)?

Thanks

i'm no expert and haven't done a 70.3 but I don't think you need to be worried Kerchak. Sounds like you're well on track. There is still enough time. I would probably recommend carry on with short brick sessions to get your body used to the combination. Throw in some single long distance sessions in between just for the endurance. Then closer to the time throw in some speed sessions. And then taper off two weeks before the event.

What are the odds that it will be a wetsuit legal race? Should I consider getting a wetsuit?

Where should I be in my training now? I am capable of doing each of the 3 disciplines on its own at a pace better than what I am targeting for the 70.3  But the wheels came off the other day when I combined a 10 km run/70 km ride/5km run. My pace with the 2nd run leg was terrible, almost 1 min/km longer than what I am targeting. The 1st run leg and bike leg was done at 70.3 race pace. It was a flat easy course, no swim leg and only 70km/15km in total. Should I be worried about my endurance or is it still to early?

Last question is Brick sessions. What should I aim for in the next months? Should I build up to a 90/21 (by early Jan) or should I keep to short brick sessions (e.g. 50/10)?

Thanks

100% wetsuit race

Yes get a wetsuit.

You seem to be on target with your training

Do interval training and plenty of brick sessions.  You don't need to run more than 20 minutes per brick.  Rather focus on proper separate run sessions and one short brick per week after your LSD.

Also focus on your nutrition as this may play a role.

Consider Midlands Ultra (entries close today)

SNIPPED..... Also I have come to realise that my holiday is not really a holiday when doing IM every year. I am more tired coming back to work. Hopefully the 70.3 will in general be more relaxing....

Yeah i also think i'm getting to old :whistling:  to do an IM annually, will also skip out a year and try race 70.3 instead :thumbup:

Thanks

Yep 100% it will be a wetsuit race-get a wetsuit you are not a seal, EL water is cold. There are some crazies that do it without but you don't want to mess up your race. For wetsuits try Xterra, think Terry is also a hub member. 

It sounds like you need a bit more base work and for now a brick session once a week, but nothing serious, later you can up the distance but not now. Still plenty of time for that.  I would not do a 90/21 Brick it will not achieve the result, rather do a shorter ride and a shorter brick but a couple of them in a session, that should sort that out.  

The route is tough-IMBC is one of the toughest 70.3 out there, get used to climbing on the bike and do hill repeats for the run. 

By the sounds of it you will be okay....don't get too stressed, 99% of all novices finish.

I'm also coming in as a complete novice. Had a good fitness base going for Berg & Bush...buggered my knee/ITB and have been sidelined for three and a half weeks. Back on the bike this weekend to asses the fitness level. 

At least I've managed to swim over 2kms in the pool. When I decided to enter, my first swimming attempt saw a rest after each 25m lap....

Tx for the advice. Will keep working on the base training and "short" brick sessions.

and during the event itself, just pace yourself....don't go screaming to the redline from the get go..... take it easy...and enjoy the event....you have more than enough time. Pace not race. Your second ultra distance , then go all out....:)

Was 400 something on the waiting list at the start of this and never thought i might get a entry...latest news is i am nr 49 on the list.  Holding thumbs

I am going to hurt, i haven't done any training in the last while, too busy to start till mid November..

will have to try get fit in 2 months.. eish

There's enough time left but you're going to have to be religious about it, Say good bye to the Girlfriend or Wife for a few weeks.

PS you can download some good 70.3 12 week programmes online.

What do you guys pay for accommodation this time around? I stayed at the Majestic this year which is right by transition. Cost was R550 for a double room. I booked for 2015 before leaving, only to hear this morning that the same room is now R960  :eek: And the wife is probably not going with, so it's R960 single...

Archived