Vibram running shoes (five 'finger' shoes) settle class action lawsuit

NielC

http://cdn2.blisstree.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/foot-strike-photos-olympic-trials-barefoot-running-vs-normal-running-640x323.jpg

Also interesting is the consideration of gait, Haile Gebrselassie is a severe overpronator, and in the photo it looks like a disproportionately high number of late stage supinators are represented among the elites; Less than 3% of runners are supposed to be supinators, but atleast 8 of the 28 shown look like they are.

All the while the golden standard has always been: perfect = midfoot & neutral...

Edited by eeeek

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn interesting topic, I suffer with "dropped" metatarsals on both feet and suffer from sore toes and sensitive forefoot issues as a result of nerve compression when I start running more than about 40km per week, unfortunately it seems like barefoot / VFF / minimalistic type shoes will make my particular situation worse.

I try wear more minimalistic shoes for those times when I would wear normal "takkies" casually and try walk barefoot around the house whenever I'm at home or training in my home gym in the hope of "waking" up those muscles that have become lazy as a result of wearing shoes...

Funny enough a foot reflexologist once told me the problem with my toes and sore feet was because I never ate enough vegetables as a young child, when I queried this with my mother she confirmed that I would not eat vegetables as a young child and thinking back it was only when I did my national service that I started eating more veggies....

forgot that point. why are there no top marathon runners using these things(or are there)?? these are the guys with the natural ability who shouldn't be needing stability shoes.

Because they weigh less than 50 kg's and run with racing flats with a mid or forefoot strike.

It's not about what shoes work and don't work for you, it's a totally different running style.

Besides WE comments, because top marathoners are paid sponsors ... including shoe sponsors....I don't think we will ever really find out if they really need the shoes they race in. IMO the racing shoes they wear do not qualify as stability shoes and are close as dammit to minimalistic shoes already.

If you really want to understand the topic then read "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougal.

Read it anyways as it is a damn good book.

I tried, but struggled to finish it...

My parents should have stayed in Ficksburg, there as laatjies we went barefoot most of the time and only when we moved to Natal and later Joburg did I start wearing shoes....

I tried, but struggled to finish it...

My parents should have stayed in Ficksburg, there as laatjies we went barefoot most of the time and only when we moved to Natal and later Joburg did I start wearing shoes....

You could also have gone to Benoni/Boksburg/Springs :ph34r:

If you really want to understand the topic then read "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougal.

Almost done, really enjoying it

I have been wearing the 5 finger thingy on weekends. I have also been running with minimalistic shoes for the past 2 years. My times have increased massively and I have had not one injury like in the past.

The secret is in the transition. Take it easy.

Hi Garf,

Apart from being injury free, are there any explicit indicators that the minimalist shoes made the difference and not merely the training? For example, did you follow the same sort of training regime/philosophy but saw more gains than in previous periods?

I've been thinking a lot about going with less offset. I overpronate and use specific shoes for that, but have never had any injuries in 3 years of training. For the past 18 months or so I concentrated on form to promote front foot striking. I walk/run on the beach a few times weekly, and I can actually see my foot imprints change. My motivation for changing over would be solely to gain speed. I know it is a long process and don't want to make the investment if I'm not sure about the effectiveness and that my injury risk would still stay low.

You could also have gone to Benoni/Boksburg/Springs :ph34r:

Trust me... they got FA on Ficksburg

Besides WE comments, because top marathoners are paid sponsors ... including shoe sponsors....I don't think we will ever really find out if they really need the shoes they race in. IMO the racing shoes they wear do not qualify as stability shoes and are close as dammit to minimalistic shoes already.

I dunno about this, pretty sure that no top runner has a clause that they can't choose their shoe. most big brands have a range, and they will find something that they go with - maybe even customised a bit.

however, I might be wrong, but I don't think vibram have actually tried to sponsor guys at the fast end of the field at all like every other running shoe company(whereas innov8 do).

The only thing I know for certain is that when it comes to running shoes, there is no black and white - this works that doesn't etc. so much of grey area.

The only thing I know for certain is that when it comes to running shoes, there is no black and white - this works that doesn't etc. so much of grey area.

Yeah very true, even the big name companies struggle to keep the same standard from year to year...instead of sticking with what works they constantly fiddle and change resulting in shoes with the same model name but different characteristics. Asics are good (bad?) like this i.e. the Cumulus range changes every year Cumulus 12, cumulus 13, cumulus 14 etc....

My 2c... I'm no expert, but have done Comrades a couple of times and have had all the over-use injuries you can possibly have in my legs.

Long story short, after 3 years of trying to find the perfect shoes (including Vibrams), pronation, anti-pronation, netral, supination, etc blah blah blah...

Took some advise from a runner physio, and started strengthening my legs and specifically the muscles that caused my injuries... 6 months later, I was able to run my best marathon ever in very neutral, low cushioned shoes... Those R400 specials people talk about...

The comments above that someone said, what works for someone does not necessarily work for someone else is 100% true... BUT!

Concentrate on strengthening your alignment and running muscles, the you can barefoot too!!! Don't worry about fore-foot backfoot running... You run like you run... You will find that the faster you run, the more forefoot you will run anyway! Don't train to run forefoot... You will cause more damage than good!

I can run 40km in my Five Fingers with no issues at all... Mine have got about 2500km on them and still about 50% tread left!

Edited by dee_biker

Great book and great story.

Sadly Micah disappeared and was found later, he did not make it.

Yeah very true, even the big name companies struggle to keep the same standard from year to year...instead of sticking with what works they constantly fiddle and change resulting in shoes with the same model name but different characteristics. Asics are good (bad?) like this i.e. the Cumulus range changes every year Cumulus 12, cumulus 13, cumulus 14 etc....

Come now Swiss,.... everyone knows there are NO bad Asics. :whistling: :D :D

Come now Swiss,.... everyone knows there are NO bad Asics. :whistling: :D :D

Friends, hubbers, countrymen, lend me your ears....

Wow, I didn't expect the response that I got from this post! Just thought that it was quite interesting and decided to share! Thanks for the comments and posts.