Do you want to get knocked over?

eelvio

Why do cyclists always complain about how close a car comes to them, when passing, but yet they are willingly to put their lives in danger?

Yesterday on my way back from a ride just after 10am, I was driving along Parklands main in Blouberg. A row of cars came up behind a group of 10 odd guys on MTB's, wondering what the motorist was doing, I was looking up ahead and watched as the group rode half next to each other, half behind and some even 3 up, "totally oblivious" to the cars behind them.I watched as half the group ramped the pavement and the other half swerved into the road, without so much as a glance over their shoulder, to overtake a MyCiti bus parked in its normal parking/stop area.

It took some time before the one vehicle attempted to pass with no oncoming traffic, but not knowing what the cyclists were going to do, the driver did not want to take a chance.

After about 100m I hooted to which the reaction from the group was to look around in shock and suddenly make an effort to fall in line. All the cars passed safely with no further delay or issue.

Why oh why, on R40 - R100k bikes in our Specialized gear, do we ride so selfishly and irresponsibly? The 1m rule is not there to be abused by riding abreast and irritating other road users to the extent that I will bear the brunt of a motorist who has had enough of obnoxious groups of cyclists who bitch and moan at them because they are so vulnerable.

Wake up people, you are solely to blame if you ride like an idiot. If you hear someone shouting out to ride in single file, its probably me, stay off your high horse and do it. Talk after the ride over coffee, for goodness sake.

Disclaimer: I do not know the people involved. It is of no use to request they are contacted by "their" LBS, so this topic is intended to single out us riders and make sure that we start to educate ourselves and our fellow riders properly before we lose someone due our own stupidity.

PS. Edited for spelling

Edited by eelvio

on R40 - R100k bikes in our Specialized gear

You answered it for yourself :ph34r: #trolling

Edited by Nick.

I realise the intention here is good but this is not going to go well.

Understandable to a point but that will be those people on their high horse that I was talking about.

Am I allowed to go and make my own bowl of popcorn? :whistling:

Forum clutter - please delete

Forum newbie - please explain, I have only posted 11 times not 7727

I am not new to cycling and this may be clutter to some but it continues to happen so maybe people need to be reminded of their own stupidity.

Take the Cape Town incident where the riders got frustrated in Sea Point and attacked the driver and passenger, riding 3 or 4 abreast taking up a whole lane.

Edited by eelvio

Forum newbie - please explain, I have only posted 11 times not 7727

I am not new to cycling and this may be clutter to some but it continues to happen so maybe people need to be reminded of their own stupidity.

Take the Cape Town incident where the riders got frustrated in Sea Point and attacked the driver and passenger, riding 3 or 4 abreast taking up a whole lane.

I've long ago come to the conclusion that most people are stupid. This obviously applies to cyclists as well. :)

More seriously, I see cyclists riding like idiots every day. Motorists too...but you'd think if you ride a puny 12kg little transport device that you would be more aware of your surroundings and those evil 2 tonne metal predators roaming about.

I've long ago come to the conclusion that most people are stupid. This obviously applies to cyclists as well. :)

More seriously, I see cyclists riding like idiots every day. Motorists too...but you'd think if you ride a puny 12kg little transport device that you would be more aware of your surroundings and those evil 2 tonne metal predators roaming about.

Pretty much what I am getting at!

:clap: Exactly the way I feel.

Why do cyclists always complain about how close a car comes to them, when passing, but yet they are willingly to put their lives in danger?

Yesterday on my way back from a ride just after 10am, I was driving along Parklands main in Blouberg. A row of cars came up behind a group of 10 odd guys on MTB's, wondering what the motorist was doing, I was looking up ahead and watched as the group rode half next to each other, half behind and some even 3 up, "totally oblivious" to the cars behind them.I watched as half the group ramped the pavement and the other half swerved into the road, without so much as a glance over their shoulder, to overtake a MyCiti bus parked in its normal parking/stop area.

It took some time before the one vehicle attempted to pass with no oncoming traffic, but not knowing what the cyclists were going to do, the driver did not want to take a chance.

After about 100m I hooted to which the reaction from the group was to look around in shock and suddenly make an effort to fall in line. All the cars passed safely with no further delay or issue.

Why oh why, on R40 - R100k bikes in our Specialized gear, do we ride so selfishly and irresponsibly? The 1m rule is not there to be abused by riding abreast and irritating other road users to the extent that I will bear the brunt of a motorist who has had enough of obnoxious groups of cyclists who bitch and moan at them because they are so vulnerable.

Wake up people, you are solely to blame if you ride like an idiot. If you hear someone shouting out to ride in single file, its probably me, stay off your high horse and do it. Talk after the ride over coffee, for goodness sake.

Disclaimer: I do not know the people involved. It is of no use to request they are contacted by "their" LBS, so this topic is intended to single out us riders and make sure that we start to educate ourselves and our fellow riders properly before we lose someone due our own stupidity.

PS. Edited for spelling

Why say "R40 - R100k bikes in our Specialized gear" and then say "I do not know the people involved. It is of no use to request they are contacted by "their" LBS".

Now half the people on the forum know exactly who you are talking about.

Guest Smimby

Why say "R40 - R100k bikes in our Specialized gear" and then say "I do not know the people involved. It is of no use to request they are contacted by "their" LBS".

Should we help him out and post the club name so he can contact them? At least they can then state their side of the story.

These topics are so tiring, it is not just cyclists that do things wrong........ this morning in a 14km commute I noticed the following (NOT THAT IS CONDONE THE BEHAVIOR of the cyclist)

1. Women driving with he dog on her lap/arm

2. Guy doing a crossword in his car

3. Women having breakfast, with a bowl and spoon nogal

4. Person reading the newspaper.

Edit: spelling....iphone = sucks

And that excludes the cellphone users, stop street skippers and Solid line overtaking.....

Edited by Smimby

Yes the wording was intentional, however I do not know the people involved and with the possibility of 50 or more riders I am pretty sure the LBS may not be too concerned about it.

Again I state the intention is to make people aware and maybe with the wording someone will know who to speak to and do there bit to keep our riding community safe.

Also hopefully the person/people in the wrong will take it like a man and accept responsibility instead of shout and swear like many motorists who do something wrong and shout at the person who calls them out on it.

... this may be clutter to some but it continues to happen so maybe people need to be reminded of their own stupidity.

See this sort of thing all the time so these reminders are indeed very necessary.

Unfortunately it will probably go unnoticed by those that need to see it most.

Yes the wording was intentional, however I do not know the people involved and with the possibility of 50 or more riders I am pretty sure the LBS may not be too concerned about it.

Again I state the intention is to make people aware and maybe with the wording someone will know who to speak to and do there bit to keep our riding community safe.

Also hopefully the person/people in the wrong will take it like a man and accept responsibility instead of shout and swear like many motorists who do something wrong and shout at the person who calls them out on it.

We can only hope . But I think Einstein said "the only thing that amazes me more than the universe are the stupidity of people "or something like that .

There is an easy solution ..... just give a soft hoot at the start and let people know you're there. Just a 'hey I'm here' hoot. Not a 'I'm having a firstworldproblem' testosterone tirade of leaning on the horn.

Conversely when riding, just be aware of whats behind you if you're at the back and say 'car back' to move over and give space.

Instead of being the bigger box and throwing 'the finger' to the motorist you perceive to be a box.

It really is that simple, both ways.