How often do you fall?

Recently having started doing some decent trails, I am loving mountainbiking.

I will often ride, among others, Tokai and do fairy garden, bluegums, boulders the 4 snakes, whatever because it is good fun and great exercise.

Problem is I am falling on almost every ride, most falls are at low speed going over something technical like a series of roots/rocks. I often don't get my foot out in time and land on a knee, the other mostly is loosing the front on the downhills?

I often lose traction on the 2nd root/rock and that's when it all comes loose, excuse the pun.

I have loosened up on my pedals and occasionally my foot slips out but could possibly go a little more.

How often do you fall and what have you done to prevent it?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When first started riding with cleats I fell pretty much every ride. Something about knowing you can't just put your foot down makes me want to put my foot down and then you fall. You'll get the hang of it though.

I fell off a bridge at Big Red Barn Saturday, but that was my own stupidity.

Typically low speed falls are due to lack of commitment/speed.

Speed is your friend - the faster you go (within limits of course) the better.

Some other pearls of wisdom from Eldron - I only have high speed accidents so I am qualified to give advice on low speed crashes :cursing:

Ride soft so your body takes some of the hit instead of the bike.

Ride the bike not the other way around - try and get your body and bike over the obstacle rather than letting the suspension do the work.

Buy a rigid fork - that'll make you respeckognize obstacles and learn to use your body to beat them.

Don't use front brake, when you loose balance - just keep pedaling...

Just ride a bit faster.... Too slow or too fast, you are likely to fall...

Ride more, it becomes easier...

almost every ride, some worst then others......... from small scrapes to broken ribs lol

You need to have a look at your pos on the bike. And...MOMENTUM! (something alot of new riders dont remember! )

Momentum is goin gto allow your bike to maintain good traction, DO NOT EVER LOCK THE BACK WHEEL:

1. You lose traction and wheels start sliding out.

2. You damage the route, causing bumpy, rutted areas on the corners.

If you are losing the front wheel on the DH you are too far forward, putting too much weight onto the front wheel which can cause it to slide out on lose sand and smooth surfaces like rocks.

You need to get your weight more centered over the BB or even behind the BB/Saddle. Giving your front wheel ability to grip enough to keep traction thus giving better direction.

When managing technical rocky sections use your saddle between your thighs as a "limiter" to keep your balance, have both feet parrallel with the ground, so 3/9 o'clock!

The only way you are goin gto get better, is to ride the tricky sections over and over and over again till you are comfortable with it.

And falling, we all fall, just at different speeds. But always get up and ride. If you can. Never be afraid to re ride the section you fell.

If you need anything else please pm me.

Do yourself a favour and get yourself a set of flat pedals (not bear traps) you can alway go back to being clipped in with your clipless

The right speed is important - too slow and you will go down - too fast and ......

Too slow CAN be dangerous - downhill over the bar you can break your neck.

Biggest difference to my riding(safety wise and enjoyment) was a dropper seat post

1. The question should be how often do you NOT fall.

2. If you aren't falling, you aren't trying hard enough.

3. Chicks dig scars.

Typically low speed falls are due to lack of commitment/speed.

Speed is your friend - the faster you go (within limits of course) the better.

Some other pearls of wisdom from Eldron - I only have high speed accidents so I am qualified to give advice on low speed crashes :cursing:

Ride soft so your body takes some of the hit instead of the bike.

Ride the bike not the other way around - try and get your body and bike over the obstacle rather than letting the suspension do the work.

Buy a rigid fork - that'll make you respeckognize obstacles and learn to use your body to beat them.

:cursing: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: I'll PM you my address for a new keyboard!

Learn to relax on the bike, and to control the tendency to overcompensate and brake too hard every time something gives you a fright. Stiff body + sharp front braking equal OTB. Learn to shift your weight on the bike as your corner and anticipate the gear changes you will need ahead of time to keep your momentum going.

Every day, sometimes even twice, it depends how many times Jaxtun makes an appearance, if she makes one I fall for her.

I can say, I fall every time on a training ride with my mtb. Due to lack of awareness.

That's just how I learn, the hard way.

I don't mind falling, makes me miss rugby though, I liked the physicality thereof, just feel bad for my bike.

I take a tumble every other ride. There's no other way to progress your skills if you don't push them.

Fractured radius (wrist) in August 2013 (over the handlebars at 15+ km/hr) - 8 week recovery.

Brake lever embedded into right thigh in January 2014 (over the handlebars at 15+ km/hr) - 8 week recovery.

Hit a tiny tree stump in a twisty forest single-track when I looked up to see why the cyclist ahead had stopped at the next turn in April (sideways and over the handlebars at a slower speed just after a corner) - still waiting for the swelling on elbow and knee to go down.

Considering I started mountain biking in April last year, should I be taking this as a sign?! Currently riding a 26" aluminium bike with coil-sprung fork and tubed tyres (if that is relevant) due to economic constraints - 92kg and 1.84m tall.

:cursing: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: I'll PM you my address for a new keyboard!

Fortunately AliG invented that lil gem so you'll have to claim the keyboard from him!

Archived