Jonkershoek Closure

trailmansam

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"WE ARE NOW PROCEEDING WITH THE PHYSICAL CLOSURE OF SOME OF THE TRAILS AS WE ARE NOT PREPARED TO FACE POSSIBLE LEGAL ACTION FOR INJURIES SUSTAINED BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF MAINTENANCE ON THE TRAILS

Which trails are being closed? I assume Bobby was notified about this call to action and it therefore carries his full support?

It sounds like Scott were within their rights if they donated bikes to the shop. It seems a bit odd to hold jonkershoek riders to ransom over a Scott sign at the coffee shop - you may end up with a mutiny on your hands given how popular it is.

Scott gave bikes at a reduced rate and flandria agreed to service, agree that the sighns could be a litlle smaller and maybe have spez logos on too. Not besiege the coffee shop

Most likely bullsh*t... but I would like to see you try and close these trails... been a while since I bashed someone's skull in with my rear wheel

Since its moermekaar friday you have full right to do so.

All told it is a most unfortunate state of affairs Matt, somehow I doubt he would have validated such an overly emotional and dramatic statement, especially one with a surfeit of exclamation marks and posted with relative anonymity on a very public forum.

That said: in principle I have much sympathy for his position.and understand the frustration at what is seen as ambush marketing.

Practically, though: how much time is spent and awareness absorbed at the gate as opposed to the shop a bit further down the road, or at the trail drop-in points? If we are going to qualify it in pure marketing value?

I do enjoy the place muchly and do the Waterfront-to-JK-and-back commute three times a week just to ride there. Drastic action will be an undesirable for my riding and trail enjoyment.

Logging is a fluid dynamic of JK and a variable there is little control over. There are similar issues in BC. One could only hope for some constructive engagement when it is done, though that is perhaps overly optimistic.

Edited by LanceB

Just out of interest, before I go to the find some single track and a pub, is there a photo of the offending coffee shop that you want to post so that people not familiar with the place can see the issue?

Bottom line, the coffee shop owner is a small minded toolbag - I've had dealings with him in the past. He's sore about Ride-in "stealing" his customers. The bigger the storm, the better it makes him feel about his far reaching influence. Scott's actions are also very questionable. What is the policy on Spez branding on the gate or just inside the gate, saying something along the lines of: "Trails brought to you by Specialized" If out and out branding is a problem, we need a (very) large detailed trailmap - that would have loads of room for branding. Every trail can be called Specialized Black Diamond and Spezialised Canary. Would Cape Pine have an issue with this?

make it a a brand free zone and put up a thank you board at the entrance with all the names and logos of companies contributing to the fund. maybe that is a way to get more bike brands to give money so that people have a place to use their products!

Edited by Chain-L

Hellocolour, you can't miss the shop. Its at the trail head, and the road leading up to said trail head ends right outside the door. Will try take a pic for you this weekend if I can get out there....there may be a lot of rain in the photo!

This situation is not ideal, this is pretty much the quintessential trail system at the moment. It needs to be resolved, otherwise riders are going to throw toys and go rouge...again!

Bottom line, the coffee shop owner is a small minded toolbag - I've had dealings with him in the past. He's sore about Ride-in "stealing" his customers. The bigger the storm, the better it makes him feel about his far reaching influence. Scott's actions are also very questionable. What is the policy on Spez branding on the gate or just inside the gate, saying something along the lines of: "Trails brought to you by Specialized" If out and out branding is a problem, we need a (very) large detailed trailmap - that would have loads of room for branding. Every trail can be called Specialized Black Diamond and Spezialised Canary. Would Cape Pine have an issue with this?

100%, Rika.

Bottom line, the coffee shop owner is a small minded toolbag - I've had dealings with him in the past. He's sore about Ride-in "stealing" his customers. The bigger the storm, the better it makes him feel about his far reaching influence....

Dude needs to up his game if doesn't want Ride-In to take the customers.... plain and simple really.

And get rid of the Scott boards, otherwise they must come to the party