Tennis elbow

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody have any advice?

I am suffering like a dog!

I always scoffed at tennis elbow sufferers, but it is seriously no joke.

Scared I might have to go for surgery!

Is the pain at the top or bottom of your elbows? I have pain in the bottom of both of my elbows and after a long ride (MTB) I can hardly bend my arms. Doc suggests lots of rest but that's even worse than the pain!

I know I have to rest it - but I have a month of REALLY hard physical graft ahead of me - I am being retrenched, so I am fixing up my house to sell (and emigrate) - which includes painting, concrete mixing etc.

I am living on painkillers and anti-inflammatories at the moment, just to get by.

So as much as I want to rest, it is not an option right now...

But I am willing to try anything!

Now about these leaves....Do you have to smoke them?.....

Haha! No.

You take the leaf and dip it briefly in very hot water. Lay it flat and damage it with something like the bottom of a glass (something flat) so that you get the "juice" to the surface. Put a piece of gauze on your arm first as the leaves have fine prickly hairs that can irritate the skin. Lay the leaves on top of the gauze and wrap in a bandage. Good for a few hours apparently. My mates mom swears by it. He is a gymnast and was always spraining things as a kid. Worked for him.

If you can't find the leaves, you can get Comfrey cream from most health shops.

Get a cortisone injection and rest it while wearing a wrist guard for 4 weeks. Rest is the only option because it is due to over use. Had 2 tennis elbows. Both sides due to guitar playing and over usage in gym. Only rest fixed it and the take care not to over use again

+1 on comfrey, it's a great natural anti-inflammatory. Your local nursery should have a plant for you.

But if you have proper tennis elbow surgery is the only thing that'll sort it out permanently as far as I know.

Played serious squash for years, developed serious golfer's elbow (inside the elbow) which eventually became unbearable. Went for the op, very simple and fast recovery. Never looked back and never felt any pain ever since.

Guest EdEdEd

Haha! No.

You take the leaf and dip it briefly in very hot water. Lay it flat and damage it with something like the bottom of a glass (something flat) so that you get the "juice" to the surface. Put a piece of gauze on your arm first as the leaves have fine prickly hairs that can irritate the skin. Lay the leaves on top of the gauze and wrap in a bandage. Good for a few hours apparently. My mates mom swears by it. He is a gymnast and was always spraining things as a kid. Worked for him.

If you can't find the leaves, you can get Comfrey cream from most health shops.

Willow bark also works lekker... my oupa used it on his knees...

(thats where aspirin comes from btw)

Nee, ek het Blou bal - twee van hulle eintlik.

Vroulief is kwaad vir my......

:wacko:

Karma?

I had this in my right elbow. I got hold of an forearm clamp from a physio.. Plastic clamp with a strap. It supports the elbow and helps with the pain. I used to cycle with it on. Do all hard work with your other arm, like opening doors, picking up heavy things and avoid shaking hands with gym bunnies who tries to break your hand. You might have to pull wire with your other hand for a while. It took around 3 months to heal.

I you are planning to do heavy labour, like it appears you are, you will not get better.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions guys - I am going to try each one - except for the rest, as I am under a bit of pressure now.

Will give feedback.

Guest EdEdEd

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions guys - I am going to try each one - except for the rest, as I am under a bit of pressure now.

Will give feedback.

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/237734/slide_237734_1205652_free.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/237734/slide_237734_1205652_free.jpg

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Try a good chiro or physio who'll loosen up the forearm muscles, that combined with a forearm strap and lots of rest. Surgery is not really a option, spoke to an orthopedic surgeon who has stopped doing the op because of its very low success rate.

My 2 Cents - I used to suffer badly in both arms. I couldn't shake hands or even carry shopping bags. I had the injections into the elbows, but this only lasted for about 2 months at a time. Then found an old Taiwanese acupuncturist in Auckland Park and went for 4-5 treatments. It was some of the most painful treatment I have ever had, but it helped. I also started training with a biokineticist.

I am not totally cured, but the pain is now only 10% of what it used to be. The MTB does not help the situation, but we grin and bear it.

I had it in both elbows. Went the cortisone injection route. Took a bout 1 year to go away completely. Some days I feel it a bit, but the rest of me hurts much more now than it used to, so the elbows get drowned out.

First you need the corrrect diagnosis - ? is it a tendinosis or is it a tear of the tendon. Then only can you treat the condition. If you want to, I can help at the Sports Science Radiology in Cape Town. You will have to come down unfortunately for that.