Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

1 hour ago, Gnarly said:

Go read the downhill thread 🤣🤣🤣

Free Practice P13

Qualifying P24 (Top 12 went through) 

Last Chance Qualifier P28, didn't qualify for Mains. 

Lot's of if's and but's but they don't count. Back to the drawing board. 

I was extremely proud of how well he rode.

I was just reading that thread...  It is really tough, to give the lighties the right exposure to be able to compete at world level, and to mange the expectations.  Very few make it to the level we would like, but without trying, we will never know.  My nephew went to Italy some years ago for Karting Worlds, he was #1 in his class in SA, but also only made it to the "best of the rest" races, my brother said the racing and support over there was on a completely other level.  

Well done to the Little Gnarly though for getting where he is, and to Gnarly for making the sacrifices to help him chase his dream!

Edited by Stretched@Birth

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as summer finally sort of arrived I went to a bike night at the iron bull roadhouse in Basingstoke. Saffa owned and the vast majority of folks there are saffa. Nice to be out on the bike. This was Thursday last week. 

this RF600 still amazes me. Handles exceptionally well and just keeps going. 31 years old now. 

IMG_9915.jpeg

Sent the 950 in to replace the starter clutch and the stator cover .... turns out that the sprag clutch is really toast ... so it is a good thing I took her in this morning.

So now adding a oil and filter change to the job card.

image.jpeg.a3ca9087110a05e53fb534b954445232.jpeg

image.jpeg.f678b238f066f79eb6149bb3dbb42749.jpeg

Got her back today over lunch and she starts first time every time, idles beautifully and pulls like a freight train.

So glad to have the 950 sorted now.

A small pleasure I partake in every once in a while, is going through the local malls underground parking area. The main exit is a long straight with a low height concrete roof ..... and sound bounces off this so nicely when accelerating hard on the long exit straight way after exiting the boom. Done this a few times on the Harley, but never on the 950, so to celebrate I took her through there this evening and my word does she have a growl to her.

On 7/30/2024 at 1:59 PM, Hairy said:

Cliche of note, Adventure bike outside of a coffee shop .......... at least it is not a Starbucks 🤣

image.jpeg.4f295b1662106432bba723b53b68aaf2.jpeg

I do like this bike……a lot! 

I have been home for a week during my normal work rotation. The Boss is chilling on his boat so sent us home. I have managed two long “ish” rides on my smaller ADV bikes. 400 kms on the 690 around to Calitzdorp via van Wyksdorp and Rooiberg Pass and then 380 km’s on IMG_1155.jpeg.1cb677762b2ac25df45fdcf331ce69b1.jpegIMG_1152.jpeg.6d7693c2a586c13b536bfa03e4be1650.jpegIMG_1148.jpeg.b17a0e0149d4c6c0f6f4eb1b150e5ad1.jpegIMG_1149.jpeg.f0c9f7926953980a75df3ed14467c4e2.jpegIMG_1145.jpeg.16d7f8161c4c82d1f60d236e79c9c914.jpegIMG_1154.jpeg.befc2e32a4bf381af9dbb2fa44aa3ae4.jpegIMG_1150.jpeg.af3fed816f23ea3f3814ba89f5ad06fb.jpegIMG_1144.jpeg.9d41c1503885950675cd64f9aebabc12.jpegthe T7 to Calitzdorp via Outdshoorn and back along the track running just south of the Swartberg. Different bikes and different experiences. The lightness of the Katoom is a winner but the CP2 engine in the T7 is a dream on any tar stretches. Over all the comfort of the  T7 would likely win the day……though I cannot get rid of the 690 yet! Perhaps the tyre choice has much to do with it. Pirellii MT21 on the Katoom and Michelin Anakee Wilds on the T7…….The MT21’s are harsh on the tar.

IMG_1146.jpeg

IMG_1147.jpeg

Rode around that area over easter. That section from Calitzdorp to Swartberg Pass is one of my favorite sections. I would not mind a little olive farm next to the river there. (Berg Rivier) 

Rooiberg was also amazing. 

19 hours ago, Spokey said:

I do like this bike……a lot! 

Shotto ... this has been my first week of really being able to ride this bike properly and she is fun, lots of fun.

Looking forward to doing some dirt on her soon.

THE CONTENTIOUS TYRE QUESTION/S:

My bike is still a new to me bike, and I am going through her bit by bit to get her rolling as well as I can.

She came fitted with a Pirelli Scorpion MT90 on the rear and a Metzler Karoo 3 on the front. The seller also had a rear K3 that has a little usage on it that came with the bike.

Went to take a closer look at the tyres this morning to see the manufacturing date, and to just get an overall health / condition check on them as I want to get the K3 fitted to the rear (Just because I have the tyre, so might as well run it).

The dates on the tyres read as follows:
K3's - Manf. 2012
MT90 - Manf. 2014

Now given the age of these tyres, should I just bite the bullet and replace them off hand, or would it be safe to just run them down first and then replace them. The side walls on all of them look good, with no cracking or wear whatsoever.

image.png.0ecb9cfa9666fa472c2baef2e8b3a531.png

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

THE CONTENTIOUS TYRE QUESTION/S:

My bike is still a new to me bike, and I am going through her bit by bit to get her rolling as well as I can.

She came fitted with a Pirelli Scorpion MT90 on the rear and a Metzler Karoo 3 on the front. The seller also had a rear K3 that has a little usage on it that came with the bike.

Went to take a closer look at the tyres this morning to see the manufacturing date, and to just get an overall health / condition check on them as I want to get the K3 fitted to the rear (Just because I have the tyre, so might as well run it).

The dates on the tyres read as follows:
K3's - Manf. 2012
MT90 - Manf. 2014

Now given the age of these tyres, should I just bite the bullet and replace them off hand, or would it be safe to just run them down first and then replace them. The side walls on all of them look good, with no cracking or wear whatsoever.

image.png.0ecb9cfa9666fa472c2baef2e8b3a531.png

I would replace, that said I am OCD. The tyre may look good but i reckon new rubber will make a difference on the road. Why risk it if you can afford it. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

I tend to agree, I have always worked on the 5 year rule (but never had a set of tyres come close to that old). Tyres degrade with age so I am certain you will feel the difference and be much better off on a fresh set of rubber