Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Just now, Andymann said:

https://www.cycleworld.com/2020-kawasaki-ninja-zx-25r-first-look/

Those frames look very very similar.  I wonder how long it will be before some mad Asian dude shoehorns the 400 engine into his ZX25 frame......

Think it’s the same frame and bottom end , bored out and longer stroke to take it to 399cc. 

apparently quite easy to liberate another 15 or so horses as it’s throttled for emissions. 

wont lie, I am lusting hard. 😂.  But only for this colour scheme which may already be sold out. I await word from the K. 

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/2/2024 at 7:47 AM, sawystertrance said:

Looks like a fun ride and I like the new surface on Bain's but why, oh why, have they removed all parking spots and added all those rocks to the one or two that remain? Surely it can't be in the name of safety?

Look forward to seeing photos of your first motorbike. :D

went to look at the CT Beeemmeerr dealership yesterday .... still a little early for me, we just bought a new family car, so will be saving up a little to get to a GS, though now I have a fair price point in mind and expect the pricing to drop a little more once the 1300's are snapped up locally.

will test ride one closer to the time, but I do like the "fit/feel" of the bike when seated and standing.

So yesterday we took a ride out to Patensie. As we about to leave my son notices his R1's tyre is flat. A friendly 4x4 dude who is also a biker offered his compressor. Pumped the tyre and it went flat again. Piece of metal in the tyre. 

One of the guys in our group hauls out this kit https://www.agrimark.co.za/product/shield-tyre-repair-kit-tubeless?sku=39649_1&gad_source=1

4x4 dude chuckled and said those plastic handled tools won't get you far and he hauled out something similar to this https://www.adendorff.co.za/mac-afric-vehicle-motor-cycle-tyre-repair-tools-gtyrer001?gad_source=1

So the question is, was he right concerning the cheaper kit?

57 minutes ago, WaynejG said:

So yesterday we took a ride out to Patensie. As we about to leave my son notices his R1's tyre is flat. A friendly 4x4 dude who is also a biker offered his compressor. Pumped the tyre and it went flat again. Piece of metal in the tyre. 

One of the guys in our group hauls out this kit https://www.agrimark.co.za/product/shield-tyre-repair-kit-tubeless?sku=39649_1&gad_source=1

4x4 dude chuckled and said those plastic handled tools won't get you far and he hauled out something similar to this https://www.adendorff.co.za/mac-afric-vehicle-motor-cycle-tyre-repair-tools-gtyrer001?gad_source=1

My opinion, and I stress my opinion. The cheaper kit can do the job. 

10 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

My opinion, and I stress my opinion. The cheaper kit can do the job. 

Agreed but note that for the harde vier by vier manne the plastic handle has a risk of shattering and the back of the tool go through your hand, particularly as some of the 4x4 tyres need serious effort to get the tool or plug in (some guys use a 6mm drill, I kid you not). Have a glance at bike specific kits from say Flying Brick (hub member methinks).  Pack a can of tyre inflator for luck.

15 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Don’t discount the 850/800 GS range. More capable off road and enough grunt for high speed days in the saddle. 

For sure although maybe you mean 800/850/900 now but very nice, smooth bikes and IMHO, pretty reliable. However quite a few options from Yamaha 700, KTM 790/890 etc, Honda AT and even Suzuki Vstroms; not that I have any experience on any of these.

TIC, the only advantages of the 1250, 1300 boxers etc is that they mostly doesn't fall over completely but rest on the pots, making it easier to pick up. Downhill tip over and you will need a winch or mates x 3 or 4.

12 minutes ago, mazambaan said:

Agreed but note that for the harde vier by vier manne the plastic handle has a risk of shattering and the back of the tool go through your hand, particularly as some of the 4x4 tyres need serious effort to get the tool or plug in (some guys use a 6mm drill, I kid you not). Have a glance at bike specific kits from say Flying Brick (hub member methinks).  Pack a can of tyre inflator for luck.

That was why he chuckled. The plastic handle.

12 hours ago, WaynejG said:

4x4 dude chuckled and said those plastic handled tools won't get you far

My son broke the plastic handle in cheap tubeless repair kit fixing a car tyre. I have a slightly more expensive one from Midas (still < R100) with a single metal handle that is shared between boring and plugging tools and have successfully plugged a number of car tyres. You sometimes need a lot of force on that handle, particularly if the tyre is under inflated.

One lesson learnt from this is that we are hopelessly under prepared for this type of thing which is something that will be remedied. 

18 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Don’t discount the 850/800 GS range. More capable off road and enough grunt for high speed days in the saddle. 

If I went that route it would be a Tenere 700

14 hours ago, WaynejG said:

That is a nice kit for the R345 to be spent
image.png.fc672874c731a83aaa1c03a1d0deb0fa.png

3 hours ago, Hairy said:

Tenere is a great bike,, just shy a few horses I think. 

3 hours ago, Hairy said:

Are you keeping the Harley?

I would say you have to consider what you will use the bike most for? 
Each machine has it’s pro’s and cons. I think the T7 is a great bike, possibly leaning more on the technical riding side. As ICM said, it may be lacking in the long distance touring department.

The 850 GS’s has been upgraded with tubeless spoked wheels, rider modes, cruise control suspension settings etc. All in a slightly less bulky package than their 1200 and 1300 counterparts.

The 1200’s are great machines, but I wouldn’t be able to live with one as my only bike.

For me, commuting daily, with the odd trip thrown in, has me more comfortable on and 800adv.

Owning the 800gs adv after putting 90 000kms on the standard 800GS, the following stood out:

The added bulk of the adv, has the bike more planted offroad. This comes with the downside of added weight when things get technical. I am aware of this, and I am choosing my riding accordingly. I have had the wrong tool doing similar things to people on much lighter bikes, and although possible, it’s a lot harder work, and if things go wrong, expensive.

The bigger bike for touring purposes is great, long range fuel tank (450 to 500kms on a tank mixed riding) is great, as well as panniers ( for the kitchen sink etc)

I struggled with the added weight of the 1200GS adv. But I also know riders that are very capable on their big bikes, that does not necessarily have the stature.

You said you were not in a hurry, so lots of time to read up on and do some comparisons. If you were in JHB I would gladly offered the 8gs for a weekend. If at all possible, try and get a bike to take on a meaningful test ride.

Chatting to a friend a little earlier today the thought of a 250 something or other older dirt bike to play with in the bush, and then keep loving the HD is also a good option.

The older bike should in theory be easy to work on and I would not cry if I drop it a couple of times....not that I cry, or have every cried before, nor will I ever cry....#JustSaying