Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

3 hours ago, Hairy said:

Honda are currently offering a 50K discount on the Africa Twins ... in conversation with them today, the CT branch, you can get the manual on the road for just under R205K

image.png.179900636aae9bd074a13fc1307e02c6.png

If this is something you're interested in then let me know and I'll chat to the guys sitting opposite me

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

If this is something you're interested in then let me know and I'll chat to the guys sitting opposite me

unfortunately outside of my price range for now 

A few thoughts after living with the 850 GSA for a few weeks and a few hundred miles. 

the motor is incredibly lively compared to the 800GT, revs far quicker and pulls like a train, which is surprising given it’s only a few more horses and torque about the same ( on paper). Given the gsa weights a lil more than the GT makes it even more surprising. Speaking of weight, the GSA is a lardy beast and carries the weight relatively high. It’s a lil intimidating to be honest and coupled with the 21 inch front wheel , the high seat height (875 mm) makes it a large beast. At slow speeds it’s something I am aware of and need to be careful. Won’t be green laning any time soon but off the beaten track on nice dirt roads is a pleasure. 

the electronic components of the bike are amazing. Adjust seat height etc , loads of info on the dash and the navigation works well. Never liked the sat nav systems so the gsm nvigation is great. And the app that interfaces is excellent. First time for me to have this feature. 

The cruise control works well , although unlikely to use it too much here but going up to Scotland in July so will use it to give my hand a break every now and again, works well. The speed shifter is something I doubt I will use. Just no need for it on a street bike and having ridden for 40 odd years without one it’s not something I would view as needed. 

BMW ownership experience is amazing. Can’t fault it. Part of the ownership experience and KTM could learn a thing or 2 here. Price of the GS and GSA is a little on the high side when comparing to other brands but the residuals are higher so all good there I spose. 

great bike all round. Will need to learn how to ride it properly at low speeds and being mindful of the weight. The new GSA900 is almost the same bike with the larger motor at a few grand more for one more model year and the GS900 has a few changes but at a bit more expense. The GSA models are always a year behind the GS models. Example the GSA1250 is still being built for this model year . 

On 2/23/2024 at 4:36 AM, Hairy said:

Honda are currently offering a 50K discount on the Africa Twins ... in conversation with them today, the CT branch, you can get the manual on the road for just under R205K

image.png.179900636aae9bd074a13fc1307e02c6.png

This is exceptional value.I have always liked these bikes since riding the first models years ago at the AMID bike event  at Kyalami. However, despite now spending a bucket load more on my Yam T7 with all the upgrades I fancy, I am still more than stoked with my T7. Keep in mind I have my Orange 1190 and a Ducati 1098 (amongst others) if the need for speed  comes up!!!

5 hours ago, Spokey said:

This is exceptional value.I have always liked these bikes since riding the first models years ago at the AMID bike event  at Kyalami. However, despite now spending a bucket load more on my Yam T7 with all the upgrades I fancy, I am still more than stoked with my T7. Keep in mind I have my Orange 1190 and a Ducati 1098 (amongst others) if the need for speed  comes up!!!

I agree, if I was going to ride up Africa it would be on an Africa twin. Horniest looking adventure bike of all of them. Probably most reliable too 

10 hours ago, Hairy said:

So I made the first step to getting a bike to ride on the dirt .... bought a pair of Leatt boots 😂

Small steps

forgot to upload a pic, not pitchas and it never happened

colours are so so, but they were a great deal on the Leatt 5.5's for a supposedly "high end" boot.

image.jpeg.ca943ab2c2f8954ea3b8a54b09c16f03.jpeg

Edited by Hairy

13 hours ago, Hairy said:

So I made the first step to getting a bike to ride on the dirt .... bought a pair of Leatt boots 😂

Small steps

"But honey, I have to buy a bike... I have a pair of boots!" he said to his wife... 🤣

3 hours ago, Stoffel76 said:

"But honey, I have to buy a bike... I have a pair of boots!" he said to his wife... 🤣

I started my Momsen STR single speed build with a pair of grips .......... sooooo

Do you think you can use a Honda Gold Wing as an off road adventure bike, and ride two up off road?

Well the answer is yes