Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

mate of mine had a KTM 790 adv. lovely bike and very capable. At 16 000 miles he took it for a service and they determined the cam shafts are worn. Replaced at a cost to my mate. He decided to investigate this and it seems a very widespread issue. Almost like the Honda VF saga and later the Ducati 916 issue. 

A bit of research shows this is a big problem for all 790/890/901 motorcycles up to around 2023 year of manufacture. Newer bikes just not done the mileage yet to see if the new motors have the same issue. 

KTM ain’t replacing under warranty. 

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

mate of mine had a KTM 790 adv. lovely bike and very capable. At 16 000 miles he took it for a service and they determined the cam shafts are worn. Replaced at a cost to my mate. He decided to investigate this and it seems a very widespread issue. Almost like the Honda VF saga and later the Ducati 916 issue. 

A bit of research shows this is a big problem for all 790/890/901 motorcycles up to around 2023 year of manufacture. Newer bikes just not done the mileage yet to see if the new motors have the same issue. 

KTM ain’t replacing under warranty. 

Yes, I read too that this is an issue. So far none with my big Orange 1190……

IMG_0853.jpeg.65d0d8dd68d573e4ccc379dff85f19a4.jpegWith just 1800 kms on this lovely little T7 was in danger of being moved on. The first bike in 25 to have that hanging over her head. Despite the various mods I would return from a ride and feel …….well, nowt! A CBX 1000 of similar value was calling my name and arguably the CBX is a way better investment! In fact, not arguably, factualy!
And then the red and white tart and I took a 400 km ride on mixed tar/dirt and she revealed her strong points. Now, baring in mind I have a KTM 690 Enduro and an 1190 s ADV, this T7 proved to be the perfect mixed medium tourer for me. So her place in the stable is ensured, so much so, that  the suspension has been removed by Yamaha George and sent to CT to M P Suspension to be re valved and adjusted to my weight. I have sole the Black Widow end can and replaced it with a Remus system. Slowly building it into an inclusion in my final bike stabel !

Edited by Spokey
Spelling

10 hours ago, Spokey said:

IMG_0853.jpeg.65d0d8dd68d573e4ccc379dff85f19a4.jpegWith just 1800 kms on this lovely little T7 was in danger of being moved on. The first bike in 25 to have that hanging over her head. Despite the various mods I would return from a ride and feel …….well, nowt! A CBX 1000 of similar value was calling my name and arguably the CBX is a way better investment! In fact, not arguably, factualy!
And then the red and white tart and I took a 400 km ride on mixed tar/dirt and she revealed her strong points. Now, baring in mind I have a KTM 690 Enduro and an 1190 s ADV, this T7 proved to be the perfect mixed medium tourer for me. So her place in the stable is ensured, so much so, that  the suspension has been removed by Yamaha George and sent to CT to Martin Penfold Suspension to be re valved and adjusted to my weight. I have sole the Black Widow end can and replaced it with a Remus system. Slowly building it into an inclusion in my final bike stabel !

If I was to do long way round, or long way down or long way somewhere it would be on a T7. Can’t fault them for that. They perfect, reliable, fuel efficient and 72 horses more than enough. 

Sadly I see the pure and cool roadhouse is burning out/ burnt down. 

now, what would that have to do with motorcycles. Well, us older folks will remember the shenanigans back in the 80s there. What memories. 

On 2/23/2024 at 1:40 PM, The Ouzo said:

If this is something you're interested in then let me know and I'll chat to the guys sitting opposite me

Tried to buy one but the Centurion guys were not interested in getting back to me to arrange a test and go forward. 

Went back to trusted BMW Centurion and got great service and an even better deal.

On 12/29/2023 at 9:11 AM, RocknRolla said:

Baviaans is definately a bucket list for me.

maybe 2024.

In the meantime, I did a small trip yesterday, just to get out the house a bit.

350 odd km, with a stop for some beer and Currywurst at Brauhaus near Rustenburg.

Got a beesting on the arm for my effort, little shite flew into my jacket sleeve, and crawled up to my tricep where he decided this is it.

IMG_0780.jpeg

IMG_0778.jpeg

IMG_0777.jpeg

IMG_0788.jpeg

PHOTO-2023-12-28-20-00-56.jpeg

Any chance you have a GPX to share? 

1 hour ago, Steady Spin said:

Tried to buy one but the Centurion guys were not interested in getting back to me to arrange a test and go forward. 

Went back to trusted BMW Centurion and got great service and an even better deal.

should have contacted me mate

Just now, Steady Spin said:

Shouldn't have to pull strings to get service. 

agreed, but with anything in life, its only as good as the human on the other side.

3 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

agreed, but with anything in life, its only as good as the human on the other side.

Reflects very poorly on Honda. 

PS. I need a good deal on a Honda Elevate.
Which dealership are you at? 

5 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Reflects very poorly on Honda. 

PS. I need a good deal on a Honda Elevate.
Which dealership are you at? 

sent you a PM

I was in peak hour traffic this morning, shimmied my way to the front of the jamb … then waited … figured I wanted to move the rear wheel over slightly, like you would on a bicycle .. I am locked the front brake, shifted my weight forward and flicked my hips … well the motorbike did not move. Turns out the Harley is a little heavier than my commuter bicycle :P