Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Hairy said:

ok KTM no2 is sold already 😭

Bah, looked in good shape; all I would add is crash bars.

But in that "class", as well as the Yam 660 (ideally a Shimwells modded one) the good old Suzuki DR 650 (at least one nice one was for sale on Wildogs a few months ago) and even Kawa KLR 650 have their adherents but neither wakes you up like a KTM (it is quite tall though and is much less comfortable on "tar" roads - it vibrates!).  Also out there is the BMW 650X, getting on though and the air shock seems an issue but the Rotax motors seem solid.

On 5/2/2024 at 7:30 AM, Hairy said:

The intention would be as a play bike and a bike to turn to when the Harley is in for a service, or the roads are a mess with rain. The Fat Bob deserves a kinder hand vs being hammered through another winter.

My other option is a 2010 Tenere XT660Z that will become available end of May (Hopefully not much later than this) from my neighbour who works offshore ... as in legitimate offshore :P.

Just that I am a little impatient now, and the KTM's always look to be more "performance based" against the Tenere.

If you keeping the Harley, you have a bike for highway trips and 2 up occasions, It might be worth looking for something smaller and younger for #2. Anything from a nearly new Hero to a 650 thumper would be traffic friendly for city use and less stressful when you go off road.

Remember that not all bikes were engineered to last 20 years and you should keep some budget for riding gear, boots, helmet, goggles etc.

2 hours ago, i24 said:

If you keeping the Harley, you have a bike for highway trips and 2 up occasions, It might be worth looking for something smaller and younger for #2. Anything from a nearly new Hero to a 650 thumper would be traffic friendly for city use and less stressful when you go off road.

Remember that not all bikes were engineered to last 20 years and you should keep some budget for riding gear, boots, helmet, goggles etc.

Noted thank you.... and I have had a pair of Leatt 5.5 Boots sitting next to my desk for over a month now 🤣

Gloves, have a few of those.

Helmet will be the current full face helmet for street work and I have a Bell MX9 in my shopping cart for when I get the bike with goggles already ... I just need the bike to action the rest man :)

Edited by Hairy

On 4/5/2024 at 3:43 PM, Stretched@Birth said:

RM125.jpg.0ad57b8e1e22cefee05f2c2efa9303bd.jpg

This made its way into my garage at home after my 16 year old suddenly expressed an interest in bikes. 

It has been stripped, we were doing the top end and discovered some weird issues, like a very lean (for altitude) pilot jet, which has lead to some cylinder damage.  So off to the engineering shop we went and the cylinder is being sorted. 

Once all of the work is done, it should make a lekker "starter bike" for a 16 year old.

What has been nice about the project so far is the bonding with my son, as we spend time in the garage, stripping and cleaning and rebuilding.  

Can't wait to get the bits back to get it together again and smell the 2 stroke in the air!

It's alive...  Took some time to get the cylinder back, rebuilt it on Thursday and Friday evenings.  Amazing what a bit of compression does.  6 kicks and it fired up.  Since then, it starts on the first kick.  Been through a few heat cycles to run it in, my youngster is itching to open the throttle and feel the powerband.  

Hey Riff Raff 

I have a solid lead on a BMW 2010 G450X with 2800km on the clock with spare plastics for a really good deal.

The bike showed a bit of oil sweat and when coming to a stop and you are blipping the throttle at slower speed she cuts out.

This bike has been standing for a couple of months since the owner has been over seas, he is back Friday and in the new week will take it to the local "guy" who only works on BMW's and is meant to be really good to check this out.

If BMW Guy gets the bike rolling smoothly I am seriously looking to take the bike.

Any of you have experience with this bike at all, I know Zebra here on BH has one and loves it.

26 minutes ago, WaynejG said:

Big Dom on Wild Dog Forum also the oke to talk to. 

Had a chat to him already, but always open for more info

Yup. It's not mine, I just spied it there, so I don't really know much about it.