Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

attachicon.gifD3F64212-1D4C-4039-B1CF-507B9931D286.jpeg

Ahhhhh.........this machine. It has started misbehaving. Wont idle well, sounds like 3 cylinders, but above around 4000rpm is great.

I have checked the carbs, coils and plugs and am at a loss.

Do any of you have a recommendation for a place or person to take the bike to anywhere between PE and Cape Town. I am in the George area.

As old as it is, I do not want to scrap it, I like the old thing a lot!

Thanks in advance.

Valves buddy, all those old FZR's are really finicky on valve clearances.

Had a 400 that did the same sort of things.....

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Valves buddy, all those old FZR's are really finicky on valve clearances.

Had a 400 that did the same sort of things.....

Yes, thanks, interesting to read this as after some more thought this seems to be the next area for me to look, I may opt for a top end rebuild. The bike is on 107000 kms so I can't complain. Just need to find some one who can do it in my area.

Otherwise, I see a trip to Joburg in my future!

Edited....spelling.

Edited by Spokey

Yes, thanks, interesting to read this as after some more thought this seems to be the next area for me to look, I may opt for a top end rebuild. The bike is on 107000 kms so I can't complain. Just need to find some one who can do it in my area.

Otherwise, I see a trip to Joburg in my future!

Edited....spelling.

I know a good guy in Cape Town hey - ex-Yamaha SA Technical Academy Lecturer so he's good.

But it might be a bit far to go for you.  If you do come up to Jhb, I would recommend the guys at Shimwells - known usually for MX, but they hide their road bike knowledge!

I know a good guy in Cape Town hey - ex-Yamaha SA Technical Academy Lecturer so he's good.

But it might be a bit far to go for you.  If you do come up to Jhb, I would recommend the guys at Shimwells - known usually for MX, but they hide their road bike knowledge!

Thanks Andymann, I am near Wilderness, Cape Town is okay for me. I am happy to trailer the bike to a quality tech guy. If you dont mind to share the fellows number via PM that would be great. I am hoping to be in Joburg for the Bike Festival so can bring the bike if you think Shimwells may be a good option. I have used Randburg Motorcycles before. They did a fine job on my 400/4, but they are so busy. The Joburg option all hinges on my work roster though. (I do contract work in mid east)

Thanks Andymann, I am near Wilderness, Cape Town is okay for me. I am happy to trailer the bike to a quality tech guy. If you dont mind to share the fellows number via PM that would be great. I am hoping to be in Joburg for the Bike Festival so can bring the bike if you think Shimwells may be a good option. I have used Randburg Motorcycles before. They did a fine job on my 400/4, but they are so busy. The Joburg option all hinges on my work roster though. (I do contract work in mid east)

Gary Koster - 0732109842

You guys mentioned R40k to rebuild a older 250 2t road bike motor, why so expensive?

Are oe parts even available for those bikes?

That being said I spoke to a Yamaha dealer R15k just to do a Dt175 engine, which was rebuild crank + piston so not even a total overhaul.

You guys mentioned R40k to rebuild a older 250 2t road bike motor, why so expensive?

That being said I spoke to a Yamaha dealer R15k just to do a Dt175 engine, which was rebuild crank + piston so not even a total overhaul.

A crank rebuild is around R5000 alone.  Piston kit probably R4000.  Rebore R2000.  Mains and seals another R2000.  Then all the gaskets, waterpump seals, power valve seals.  And labour.  That's just the engine part - if you're looking at clutch and gearbox bearings things can start heading to the R40k mark pretty quickly.....

That's still cheap though compared to the new R1 - one conrod - R18000........

I think for a DT that's a little steep - He's probably quoted on an entire new barrel, piston and crank.  I rebuild DT's and they can be done on a very tight budget.....

Anybody here own a modern bike that has the electronics that assists with eliminating wheelies? Curious about how it helps in everyday riding or is it mostly marketing hype?

Im looking for a LC as my old man had to sell his to raise some cash to move to CPT in 1990, think he sold it for R8000 in those days. I will never forget him crying when it rode off.

He loved it more than he loved me, I was 8 at the time. I have a picture of it somewhere and will post soon. His was black with blue trim, not standard, but to this day I like it.

Like this one, but black where this is white.

http://www.rd350lc.net/4LO80white.JPG

I want to find him one again, but the few that I have found the guys are asking R100k, which is a bit over priced if you ask me. If I could find the exact one, even better.

I think I saw two guys in blouberg with these bikes yesterday morning., I drove past so didn't get a clear view of the engine size but the bikes looked in pristine condition from what I could see. I only noticed them because you guys have been talking about them

I remember those - they were the first.  My mate had a black one and was really grumpy when Yamaha released the Red and White ones with the fairing!

Jip, was part of the very first batch to arrive in SA.

Three bikes were sent to the local Yamaha dealer, this red one, a black one and a white one.

I obviously took the red one, which was the best of the three performance wise. Left the other two in my two stroke exhaust fumes, from pull away to top speed (an indicated 90km/h at the time. :whistling: )

Edited by Wannabe