Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

In fact, would probably be better off doing what Steven is doing, and instead of turning and R3 into a 350, turn your 350 into an R3 with better suspension, brakes and wheels.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you guys sitting down:

5FL–W2838–00–0X - £7754.09 (When Available) (front fairing R7)

5FL–11650–00 - $3138 (set of 4 conrods)

5FL–11411–00 - Crankshaft - $7431.99

5FL–11631–00 ONE piston - $418.39

https://www.revzilla.com/oem/yamaha/1999-yamaha-yzf-r7/crankshaft-piston?submodel=yzfr7l

Go mad and then let reality kick in and don't dream about owning an R7  :eek:

There is one down the road from my place (2001 OWO2), for sale for £25 000, only has 4000 miles on it. Its in very good condition.

Seeing that I do not own a car anymore...... not that this will be a commuter.

Edited by Patchelicious

If money was no object, I would definitely go the 350/R3 combo, with a fully built bigbore motor. There is kits from the States that takes them to over 100bhp. Not sure of reliability, but that will be a real little hooligan machine. 

I can only dream, though. (got a couple of crazy ideas like this swirling around in my head)

R7 motors are actually not great standard - you need the race kit to make it proper, but in any case they are way beyond most peoples financial means anyway.  Handing is top notch though (there's a reason people ditch the 750 engine and build R71's - google that.....

The R1SP on the other hand, is way more affordable, has one of the best R1 engines out there (before the nannies got involved) and is also very sexy looking. I would consider one of these as an investment.....

11491853.jpg

Honestly, I would just buy a 90s 250.

Whenever I am in Cape Town, the Rs250 comes out, and I promise you it will out performs a R3/350 combo any day.

the 90s 250cc make more power that the 350LC or even the power valve ones, and the handling will surely be better.

I had a mid 90's TZR 3MA (think it was a grey import) and even though it was an amazing little machine, I did not enjoy it as much as any one of my LC's or YPVS. 

I had a mid 90's TZR 3MA (think it was a grey import) and even though it was an amazing little machine, I did not enjoy it as much as any one of my LC's or YPVS. 

Yeah, the 3MA was a good looking, but you would need to go 3XV/VJ22/MC28... but those push R100k in good condition too these days.

Retro is big business as the average biker ages....just look at the plethora of retro models and each manufacturer caters to it.

Look at the Katana and the new Vstrom as an example, harks of the DR Big and the lil French man in the Dakar races.

These kits for the XSR are superb I reckon.

Yamaha should build new 2 smokes, the technology is there to get them to burn as cleanly as possible. The market is the problem in that they are unlikely to sell in large numbers.

It is already being done.

Price is the big problem, anything special costs plenty moolah.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/vins-duecinquanta-/

Andy, you have a fair bit of knowledge about Yamaha's.

Would a 350LC / R3 swop be possible or even feasible? 

Not that I will be able to do it / afford it, but I quite like the idea of a "modern" stroker.

Definitely doable and been done.

Here is one, questionable bodykit IMO. Would've done a Moto2 replica but then again those are common:

https://www.facebook.com/Wickedatv/posts/2662998800411423?comment_id=2663150763729560&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R%22%7D

There is guy up in Jhb who built a banshee motor into a Duke 390.

Also get kits to build banshee motors into Cagiva Mito 125, standard mod kit off the shelf.

https://www.facebook.com/Mito350tk/

Look at the above link at your own peril........

You should also follow Sidz in Bloemfontein, some seriously special banshee and banshee engined builds. He seems to be the banshee whisperer in SA at the moment........

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

If money was no object, I would definitely go the 350/R3 combo, with a fully built bigbore motor. There is kits from the States that takes them to over 100bhp. Not sure of reliability, but that will be a real little hooligan machine. 

I can only dream, though. (got a couple of crazy ideas like this swirling around in my head)

Saw a 3xv the other day with a 535cc kit, made 135hp at the rear wheel and apparently fairly reliable. Setup is key.

Full carbon bodykit, no exspense spared kind of build.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_666/6339414403

Running the single disc upfront still?

I believe he was yes. Might have upgraded the lines and disc probably. Was an expensive mistake but the bike is now resplendid in its new Red Bull KTMesque colour scheme.

Its like the guys who take a 1300 citi golf and stick a turbo'ed 2.0L motor in them. Stock suspension, stock brakes and usually ends in tears........

There is a pretty big 2 stroke community in SA.

One of the guys in Cpt is busy building a RZ500, running full R1 Big Bang running gear with a fettled motor.

These are a few other local bikes:

Kevin's Mito 350 currently:

post-35569-0-71539600-1573565664_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-36970300-1573565676_thumb.jpg

R1Z, currently for sale in Jhb @ R100k

post-35569-0-14989200-1573565750_thumb.jpg

Friend in EL's 3xv, quite like the Panigale-like tank but he has a standard tank for it.

post-35569-0-65306500-1573565775_thumb.jpg

Pic from a Cpt group ride some time ago, also monthly Jhb rides.

post-35569-0-36230900-1573565818_thumb.jpg

I believe he was yes. Might have upgraded the lines and disc probably. Was an expensive mistake but the bike is now resplendid in its new Red Bull KTMesque colour scheme.

Its like the guys who take a 1300 citi golf and stick a turbo'ed 2.0L motor in them. Stock suspension, stock brakes and usually ends in tears........

Oh no... a Mito in KTM colours... I blame Brad!!!