Man down on spruit - 1km North of fratellis

Daniel J Méssem

the bomb hole circa 2011

post-10758-0-99979700-1401703109_thumb.jpg

As one can see, back then it had a steeper lip, (and a bit of a gap, not shown), but it has since been tamed down quite a bit.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Looks like the Spruit laundromat right there. The actual trail is not as hectic as the terrain in that picture makes it look.

So many names of places to learn - is there a spruit map somewhere with all the names written down?

For months I wondered why people called one of the sections the DHL line when it was clearly quite flat :oops: :stupid: :offtopic:

So many names of places to learn - is there a spruit map somewhere with all the names written down?

For months I wondered why people called one of the sections the DHL line when it was clearly quite flat :oops: :stupid: :offtopic:

I just made that up as those rocks are usually covered with clothing.

The Spruit Fairy may possess just such a map.

As for the DHL line.... that there is a sad story. It was the best jump line the Spruit had, with some pretty decent size jumps). Sadly with an influx of vagrants, the line was no longer safe, and fell into disrepair. It's probably been about 2 years since anyone jumped there.

the bomb hole circa 2011

As one can see, back then it had a steeper lip, (and a bit of a gap, not shown), but it has since been tamed down quite a bit.

That lip looks proper "bucky", but as you say it's been flattened since.

if one does ride alone and ends up injuring themselves on the Spruit, do not worry. There are hundreds of Spruit marshals, on duty in the bushes, nearly all along the Spruit.

Just last year one unlucky rider came off at the scout hall jumps, but he didn't dispair, because when he regained consciousness he found himself being aided by a resident spruit marshall, tugging on his arm to try fix the shoulder ball he had just broken.

Edited by patches

if one does ride alone and ends up injuring themselves on the Spruit, do not worry. There are hundreds of Spruit marshals, on duty in the bushes, nearly all along the Spruit.

Just last year one unlucky rider came off at the scout hall jumps, but he didn't dispair, because when he regained consciousness he found himself being aided by a resident spruit marshall, tugging on his arm to try fix the shoulder ball he had just broken.

Ah, Spruit marshalls, full of good intentions and ecoli but lacking in medical training. Obviously you pick up an unconscious rider by the floppy, twisted arm.

Is the guy ok? Scary reminder how a fun ride out can turn crazy.

on any cell phone 112 will connect you to emergency services - best everyone remember that .

He's doing ok. In ICU with swelling and bleeding on the brain. Doctors think it will clear without permanent issues, but only time will tell. As to what happened, well F knows. Derrick has been riding the Spruit for 8 years and is a very sensible guy. I was a couple of bike lengths behind him and lost site of him as I entered the bombhole. When I came out the other end, just saw him go over his bars and that was that. He was unconscious when I stopped next to him.

Phoned all the numbers we could think of 082 911, 084 124 and and and, but it took an hour for a paramedic response vehicle, two ambulances and the fire brigade to all arrive at the same time cnr Conrad and Jan Smuts. By this time it was already dark and it turned into a real effort to get him out of there and we only loaded him in an ambulance at around 20:00 (3 hours later).

Just by the way, there are a lot of vagrants "camping" between the bombhole and the shool (to the left when going north). They were great and tried to help. Even gave us a blanket as our mate was getting very cold; probably in shock.

Very scary experience. Wish I had more time to share, but what I take from this:

1. Never ride the Spruit on your own. I've done it and have seen many others do it. After what I saw and realized yesterday, will never try that again. It could cost you your life.
  2. Don't ride late PM. By the time we had ambulances there, it was pitch dark and as you know, the spruit is not easy to access. We scouted for a heli landing and couldn't find anything. Powerlines/river/terrain prohibits it. Took 10 men and a stretcher to get him out.
  3. Do a proper first aid course. Won't do much for you, but could save someone else's life.
  4. Accidents happen. I believe this was a real fluke. We were 3km from home and riding at a very reasonable pace; no cowboy tricks; nothing stupid. It just happened.

That bomb-hole is notorious, couple of years ago a mate of mine stopped to help a guy who had broken his head on it. The ambulance arrived, picked the dude up and and took him off to hospital whereupon the mate (who has been riding mtb for years) decided to give the section a little go to see how it held up........ there used to be a little double ramp there...... and he promptly went over the handlebars, broke both forearms and found himself in bed next to the chappie he had earlier helped.

Also took a month before he could go to the toilet properly by himself as both arms were in casts.

the bomb hole circa 2011

Okay, so you literally bomb down the far side and see how far and high you can go when you hit the lip where the bike is. What does the landing look like? I can see how it could cause problems for those not versed in the correct body position and getting a bit of pump on the bike at take off. Also you speed needs to be managed carefully I would imagine...

Hope the guy heals up soon, amazing how long you can wait sometimes for the ambulances to finally get a person rescued, not like the spruit is some lonely koppie in the middle of the out back, it's right there in the biggest city in Southern Africa.

That bomb hole is notorious.

It claimed a fiend of mine's spine - he didn't land it properly and went over the bars, albeit with a multi-tool in his jersey pocket. Fused vertebrae. He cant MTB any more and it was about a year to get him right.

Plus i have seen a number of very sore/sick looking people sitting under trees alongside it after it has bitten them.

That thing is experts only....Time for some signs i think

Spruit Fairies ?

You talking about Gary?

Any pictures of this notorious jump/bombhole? I'm intrigued.

Will shoot some pics, need a model, someone who doesn't need his good looks afterwards...

The Spruit Fairy may possess just such a map.

As for the DHL line.... that there is a sad story. It was the best jump line the Spruit had, with some pretty decent size jumps). Sadly with an influx of vagrants, the line was no longer safe, and fell into disrepair. It's probably been about 2 years since anyone jumped there.

Were is/was that?