How to see when a Cassette is worn

norm333

As the topic says

Due to various reasons i don't know what Km's my cassette has and before i shell out 3K for a new one, i just want to make sure.

For information sakes

Sram Xx

Got the bike as a demo, my frame was cracked

Did Joberg2c on it, so i have done 1000km on the bike

the bike looked brand new when i dot it, so did the drive train

What bothers me is, the Bike mechanic (at Joberg2c) says they are toast

Help would be welcome

Link

About halfway down the page there's a document called "everything you need to know about chains".

It's a long read, but it does what it says on the box. Look for the bit about measuring chains to find out if your cassette needs replacing.

When you put a new chain on the chain will slip by one tooth on the worn gears on the cassette (when powering hard). It can also slip on a worn chain ring but usually you pick up chain suck before this happens. Only change the cassette if the new chain slips. Check chain condition as per Droo's link.

those still look ok to me - the big front ring is a bit worn...but still hase plenty k's in it. you need a picture of the full cassette

Edited by Stretch

From those pics it all still looks pretty fresh and good to go, lbs love prematurely replacing the drivetrain, easy money.

Just make sure you watch the wear on the chain and always replace it well within wear limits. I keep replacing the chain until the chain starts slipping on the cassette cogs or getting suck on the chainrings, when that happens on a new/within wear limits chain then you know the parts are finally toast.

Looks okay to me....

You should always take the bikes shops advice to replace the cassette with the chain with a few table spoons of $alt. Front rings are generally Al, they wear more quickly and thats more obvious to see.

Its important to keep the chain within the wear specs because if that goes out, that will cause uneven wear on the cassette and chain rings, because the pitch of the chain will change as it wears. Just my opinion of course, I am sure many disagree here.

Edited by kosmonooit

keep an eye on your chain wear..get an inch steel rule...pin to pin across 12 links a new chain will measure 12" if it is 1/16th of an inch over 12" replace the chain...if it is 1/8th of an inch it may be too late to change the chain but you could give it a bash...anything more and you may as well ride that chain out with your drive train

My six month old full sus went to Cycle Factory for a "wash". When I fetch it this week I will post a picture of my old cassette (because of course the LBS now has me paying for a new chain, new cabling and gear housing, new cassette and new headset bearings). Look forward to hearing the Hub opinion.

I ride till my chain tool tells my 50% gone then its time for a new chain never replaced chain ring a few cassettes yes