SAA 'loses' Ironman athlete's bicycle

Hearts*

Even if it is insured, found a few months later or replaced by sponsors, damage is done. And SAA should take responsibility.

Jaco Odendaal's EddyMerckx was lost on a flight back from the Netherlands, he had to train on a spazza-store dikwiel bike for the u/16 tour that year. He did get a new bike before the tour thankfully. He could have had a much better tour that year if he had a bike he was used to and did proper training on it.

Its all could and should and now we'll never know.

But people should know that their stuff isn't as safe as it's supposed to be when flying SAA.

Then we would see how many tickets they sell.

Edited by BeegMig

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eina dis seer maar ek sal beslis versekering uitneem vir so duur bike en toerusting!!

Sure Andy, I was being facetious. These disputes happen hundreds of times a day around the world and just shows that people need to insure their stuff. Airlines always start off stating what their obligated to pay and its a negotiation from there.

Oh. Sorry. I'm a bit slow sometimes!

i have had my stuff"lost"on SAA before as well..I have seen on carte blanche how the baggage handlers zap some stuff.My question is what is SAA ACSA or whoever is in control doing to curb this problem.is there not cameras sort of everywhere?

but then again these are the people who charged you R 35 onto your ticket for wrapping even if there is no wrapping facility available.

You don't fly overseas with a bike worth R100k and not insure it. Stupid really.

Doesn't matter where you are flying from / to.

Love how everyone assumes it was stolen in SA. Who says the bike box even made it onto the plane?! The people dealing with the large / fragile items also aren't specific to an airline so it might not even be SAA's fault.

You don't fly overseas to South Africa with a bike worth R100k and not insure it. Stupid really.

Love how everyone assumes it was stolen in SA. Who says the bike box even made it onto the plane?! The people dealing with the large / fragile items also aren't specific to an airline so it might not even be SAA's fault.

Then why would SAA then accept liability ??

You don't fly overseas with a bike worth R100k and not insure it. Stupid really.

When my bag leaves my possession to be transported the people taking possession of it are therefore accountable for its safety and passage.

Whoever took posession of the bag needs to be held accountable, irrespective of who they are and control their staff. There is no accountability, thats why we have these problems and 99,9% of the time it is in SA that the issues happen.

Are you often this ratty ?

When my bag leaves my possession to be transported the people taking possession of it are therefore accountable for its safety and passage.

Whoever took posession of the bag needs to be held accountable, irrespective of who they are and control their staff. There is no accountability, thats why we have these problems and 99,9% of the time it is in SA that the issues happen.

Afaik they do not accept full responsibility for your possessions, check the t&cs on the ticket regarding luggage

Just pointing out that it is a worldwide issue, we only see the problems in SA, and by his own admission, the guy from South America had never travelled outside his own country... Also not the best judge of it being an isolated incident and i doubt he read the t&cs regarding the responsibility of the airline for his property

Agree, it is the responsibility of the airline. My point is that everyone was having a go at South African's when it could have been the handlers in his own country that messed up or stole the bike.

SAA managed to lose 3 of my bags in 3 flights.One was found at least.

They paid me out $120 and that at least covered one of my pairs of Merrell shoes in the bag.Worst part was the shoes were brand new as i had bought them on a special at Cape Union Mart.

The baggage handlers are a bunch of skelms.

These skelms are not alone. I think the "buyers" are waiting in the wings hence the particular pieces of luggage going missing. Nkandla comes to mind............

He flew SAA, they only control the plane, it could have been BA or anyone else.

ACSA controls our airport and they should be held to blame not the airline. just imagine if all the airlines had their own employees down in the basement sorting out the bags etc, it would never work.

we claim to the flight operator and they claim to ACSA, I wonder what the operator gets back in payment???

I fly international regularly and with most of the airlines, touch wood, to date I have not had things go missing, even fire arms. we have had bags take a world trip at no extra cost to me.

Edited by Erroli8a8

I will never fly SAA or hand my bike to them. Anyone who has trained for months for an international event and then spent a fortune getting there, only to be greeted by a bunch of useless thieves and even more useless airline staff deserves a medal just for dealing with this rubbish. If it was me I would be throwing punches at the airline staff and looking to do anything in my power to claim damages beyond the mere cost of the bike. Sue them bro!