Smoove Lube

babyball

Another clever one here.

This is after 2 rides

The drop applied to each roller cannot get any smaller, so you can also get an invite with the clever OP and come demonstrate next week Friday night.

We will ride Saturday 80km or so at Van Gaalens then you guys can re apply so we can go ride Sunday again same distance.

Then after we return you can both show me "how easy" it washes off with the soft park tool brush set and Powasol soap.

Always a clever one saying you apply too much, come show me how clever you are.

I challenge you

Venturing into dangerous territory here, I know. Did you reapply between the 2 rides? The reason I ask is because I use my bike to commute (90% dirt road) and I only apply this stuff once a week. That's where I was coming from with the too much comment.

If I apply before every ride, it's a nightmare. But I haven't found the need to do so, because I'm not cleaning the drivetrain every ride.

Doing the above, when cleaning time comes, I find that kettle water melts the wax off with minimal scrubbing with a firm bristled brush.

OK. Ready for abuse.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Label on bottle says "Smoove is extremely durable and one application lasts a whole ride"

You figure!!

Doing the above, when cleaning time comes, I find that kettle water melts the wax off with minimal scrubbing with a firm bristled brush.

OK. Ready for abuse.

I won't abuse you, don't stress :-)

I've seldom if ever had the need to take my bicycle to the kitchen for a wash, it doesn't fit in the sink so lekker. Needless to say, I don't wash it with kettle water.

It gets washed with a fire hydrant hose and Powasol soap.

I got a PM from Ruan to get together but I got a suspension (from the hub) not for my bike soon after and haven't got hold if him.

I'll get a hold of him, the application isn't an issue, it's the cleaning.

I won't abuse you, don't stress :-)

I've seldom if ever had the need to take my bicycle to the kitchen for a wash, it doesn't fit in the sink so lekker. Needless to say, I don't wash it with kettle water.

It gets washed with a fire hydrant hose and Powasol soap.

I got a PM from Ruan to get together but I got a suspension (from the hub) not for my bike soon after and haven't got hold if him.

I'll get a hold of him, the application isn't an issue, it's the cleaning.

M7 flight degreaser, try it, you're gonna love it regardless of lube!

Was follow the thread. Always looking for better chain lube.

Got some Smoov at the "after race" lucky draw.

Reading the instructions:

"Apply on the inside of the chain while turning the pedals to ensure that the lube gets worked into the chain."

I like to lube the chain one drop on inside of one link at a time method.

(Possible not the best method, but that is just me)

Experimented a bit.

Dropped some on a clean, dry chain on the top of the links of the bottom chain. Thus inside of the chain.

The Smoov drops where just "sitting" on top of the chain links and not "flowing" into the chain links like I find with light oil lubes.

The cohesion forces (attraction between "like/same" molecules. Molecules of Smoov and Smoov) of the Smoov appears to strong. With very weak adhesion forces (attraction between "unlike/different" molecules. Molecules of Smoov and the metal) between the lube and the chain.

(I apologize if my chemistry terms is not correct, but hopefully what I tried to say is clear.)

To get the Smoov into the links one would have to use the method as it is stated on the bottle.

You all can rightfully say this is all invalid (and I am a poepol) as I did not follow the instructions.

A week later the LBS washed my bike as part of a service and they applied some Smoove.

Positive:I must admit, the chain was very quite.

Negative: There was Smoov all over the back wheel/rim/chain-stay. Leading me the believe that they employed the "turn crank and squirt the lube method". (Correctly as instructed on the bottle)

I went though a whole role of paper towels to try and clean of the Smoov from the bicycle and the buildup on the outside of the chain, the jockey wheels and the rest of the drive train.

I know I did not follow the directions in my "experiment" and neither was it in any way very scientific.

But, Sorry, no Smoov for me.

Edited by IH8MUD

• 2 weeks later...

There comes a time when you have to admit you were wrong.... Shmoove over dusty breedts was terrible. Thank goodness I took some extra white lightning.

There comes a time when you have to admit you were wrong.... Shmoove over dusty breedts was terrible. Thank goodness I took some extra white lightning.

I had the same experience with smoove on a very dusty first day at Sani this year. Na slegs 30 km het die ketting geskree soos ń maer vark! Smoove is kuk.

• 2 weeks later...

Also tried smoove. Found its lubes well but agree that the build up is crap. Also it pours out the bottle too easily and messes everywhere. I prefer Squirt as you have to squeeze slightly before it comes out, and that stops it pouring all over. Keen to try this blue extreme stuff peeps be talking about.