[Event] Freedom Challenge 2014

tubed

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It really was my pleasure, well done to you too, some proper grit shown - and your greater family - wow, they showed some fantastic support.

Please share some of your photos here, I didn't share them as I figured you may wish to do so later. The pics have been scarce this year and they are a massive help for anyone considering what you took on - I really cant begin to properly describe you guys wrapped up in survival blankets in the Boshelweni Forest ^_^ .

Some pics as requested....coming up...

RASA 2014 Finishers:George, Francois, Philip, Leon,

RASA 2014 Finishers: Richard

post-1509-0-85019400-1404327233_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-51058000-1404327244_thumb.jpg

Edited by tubed

Correction to earlier: it seems that Stu and Hanno only left Good Hope this morn and will be at Trouthaven tonight, with an arrival at Diemersfontein tomorrow night.

At least there will be a well beaten path up the valley after today....

shoes are critical - look at the start of the thread and you will see what Mike W's shoes looked like at the end. The preferred choice seem to be touring shoes, ie cleated, but with a sole you can hike in. Several also have the shimano boots.

Nobody uses carbon soled slippers, those are for the coffee shop.

In the past some guys used to take a second pair of shoes for hiking/ portaging, that seems to have fallen away. You still see some guys with lightweight crocs for evening wear etc, but most nights you just put your feet up inside someones home. So one pair of shoes for the whole race is sufficient.

There is a big proviso - there has been no mud for 2 years now - swamp mud kills shoes - so they have to be in top condition as they vrot at a rapid rate.

For perspective. I used el cheapo Olympic MTB shoes this year, the cheapest ones you get at Sportmans Warehouse. Worked better than expected, I'm used to walking with them so that helped, even up Lehana's they were fine. I don;t recommend this though, its not ideal, try Shimano MT71, most people use them. It does appear they have been discontinued. Salomon and others make a almost running shoe type cleated shoe. The Salomon's broke apart in our group after 3 days but there are other options. For interest sake, the Dreyers also use normal MTB shoes.

Re multiple pairs. Many people take extra shoes but not necessary. Use wet shoes with dry Sealskinz at night or if dry you can walk everywhere with normal nice thick wooly winter socks.

Interesting bike and I don't know who the rider is, could probably figure it out by elimination.

Here is the slightly controversial game fence pic again, (ie how not to stand on a fence), but here is that bike again, no wonder it needs two people to haul it up and over.

The guy giving instructions with his back to us is the owner.

The other interesting bike is the one against the fence with the red front hub and the solid fork. Its Gawie's belt driven single speed, hope to get a close up of it later.

The fatbike was being ridden by an American guy. Spoke with him at Rhodes, he got a lift there with Jack Black's dad and then joined the route from Rhodes, I'm not sure how far his plans took him. Sounded like he'd done Tour Divide and was a free rider, tourer kinda guy living life out there on his bicycle.

For perspective. I used el cheapo Olympic MTB shoes this year, the cheapest ones you get at Sportmans Warehouse. Worked better than expected, I'm used to walking with them so that helped, even up Lehana's they were fine. I don;t recommend this though, its not ideal, try Shimano MT71, most people use them. It does appear they have been discontinued. Salomon and others make a almost running shoe type cleated shoe. The Salomon's broke apart in our group after 3 days but there are other options. For interest sake, the Dreyers also use normal MTB shoes.

Re multiple pairs. Many people take extra shoes but not necessary. Use wet shoes with dry Sealskinz at night or if dry you can walk everywhere with normal nice thick wooly winter socks.

I used a Shimano MT44 trail type shoe. Was excellent. Most days rode with a sealskinz knee lengths socks, or when warmer just a short thermal sock. I did a couple reccie rides with "normal" mtb carbon shoes and it was a mess...

I used a Shimano MT44 trail type shoe. Was excellent. Most days rode with a sealskinz knee lengths socks, or when warmer just a short thermal sock. I did a couple reccie rides with "normal" mtb carbon shoes and it was a mess...

I just checked online - that's a nice looking shoe.

But would it take Time cleats? I've got a feeling I'm going to have some challenges finding good touring/hiking cleated shoes that will match my Atacs.