[Event] Freedom Challenge 2014

tubed

I just checked online - that's a nice looking shoe.

But would it take Time cleats? I've got a feeling I'm going to have some challenges finding good touring/hiking cleated shoes that will match my Atacs.

Yip, works with Time. I also use Atacs.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to wrap this up from my side. Couple of final thoughts.

• It seems like the race flew by this year, all the RASA finishers in within a week of each other.
  • Again the weather was kind - very kind.
  • Glad peace reigned in the Hel and everybody got on with their business, long may it last as without respect from and for everybody we are in trouble.
  • It remains a massive achievement to finish this race.
  • The emotional pull of the race is real - ask those who returned, those who didnt finish and those on the sidelines - there is almost a collective sigh of relief that it is over and we can return to our normal lives.
  • The Race to Rhodes is a great addition, I am glad to say it has its own unique place and is a big contributor to the Freedom Challenge, but it and others will never overshadow the Freedom Challenge
  • Lets not forget the FC Scholarship Fund - if you want to make a donation - I can assure you it is money well spent
  • David the race director was silent this year - but thats the way he prefers it. But nobody else hands you your blanket - he personally welcomes every finisher and knows at any moment exactly where you are. No fuss.
  • Meryl - just ask anyone who has done this race and they will tell you that Meryl runs the show - again very successfully under some very trying circumstances this year.
  • Shebeen - thanks for the help, wit and insight, especially when I am in an internet black hole with an old blackberry - much appreciated
  • To the new guys who got involved, you know just who you are, well done on your achievements, don't hold back, you are part of the community and any involvement is appreciated
  • The Freedom Challenge is increasingly 'owned' by the community, my sense is that more and more people are realising this and want to be part of it, it offers something different amongst a sea of choices for riders. Core to this is the desire to 'keep it real' - seems like 'real' is alive and well

Finally to all on the hub who once again proved that this is the best portal for the being involved in the race from the sidelines - thanks so much for your constructive input and the many many words of encouragement and thanks - it really is appreciated.

Please feel free to continue to contribute to this thread with your experiences of this year - lots of guys use it for prep or just getting a sense of what its all about.

Thanks and cheers

Charl

post-1509-0-30732300-1404460314.jpg

Time to wrap this up from my side. Couple of final thoughts.

• It seems like the race flew by this year, all the RASA finishers in within a week of each other.
  • Again the weather was kind - very kind.
  • Glad peace reigned in the Hel and everybody got on with their business, long may it last as without respect from and for everybody we are in trouble.
  • It remains a massive achievement to finish this race.
  • The emotional pull of the race is real - ask those who returned, those who didnt finish and those on the sidelines - there is almost a collective sigh of relief that it is over and we can return to our normal lives.
  • The Race to Rhodes is a great addition, I am glad to say it has its own unique place and is a big contributor to the Freedom Challenge, but it and others will never overshadow the Freedom Challenge
  • Lets not forget the FC Scholarship Fund - if you want to make a donation - I can assure you it is money well spent
  • David the race director was silent this year - but thats the way he prefers it. But nobody else hands you your blanket - he personally welcomes every finisher and knows at any moment exactly where you are. No fuss.
  • Meryl - just ask anyone who has done this race and they will tell you that Meryl runs the show - again very successfully under some very trying circumstances this year.
  • Shebeen - thanks for the help, wit and insight, especially when I am in an internet black hole with an old blackberry - much appreciated
  • To the new guys who got involved, you know just who you are, well done on your achievements, don't hold back, you are part of the community and any involvement is appreciated
  • The Freedom Challenge is increasingly 'owned' by the community, my sense is that more and more people are realising this and want to be part of it, it offers something different amongst a sea of choices for riders. Core to this is the desire to 'keep it real' - seems like 'real' is alive and well

Finally to all on the hub who once again proved that this is the best portal for the being involved in the race from the sidelines - thanks so much for your constructive input and the many many words of encouragement and thanks - it really is appreciated.

Please feel free to continue to contribute to this thread with your experiences of this year - lots of guys use it for prep or just getting a sense of what its all about.

Thanks and cheers

Charl

Thanks so much to you Tubed, you keep us in the loop and I thoroughly enjoy your updates. You certainly bring the Freedom Challenge to our office desks, homes and hearts.

Thank you!!

Shot Charl, only a pleasure.

There is a forum on the FC website, used to be THE place to hang out during the race. It's moved to this thread/twitter now for followers (just checked, 8 total views in the last month!).

for those eager to dip their toes on the trail, keep those questions coming.

otherwise

See y'all next year, on the trail or in the interwebs.

Thanks Tubed and everyone else involved in bringing this race to life for the rest of us, and for lighting the little spark that's now got me off my arse and committed to doing the full monty next year.

I've opened a new thread for Prepping for FC / R2R 2015. This is for those folks who are keen to do the race next year, and for the vets who've done it before who want to share their knowledge with us noobs.

On Stu's bike...........he rode with us before the withdrawal. He was riding a Whyte....thats what he told us... ;)

Battling to upload images. Never had this prob before....any suggestions?

Edited by TrailWarrior

could leave you in suspense, but then again I might just forget about it.

carbon full sus 26er. was quite the exotic machine back then!!

http://whyte.bike/2008/images/e120xtr_s.jpg

http://whyte.bike/20...ModNo=8E120Team

But he rides them with a Maverick SC32 fork brave man these things flex like hell under serious braking force. I have one and the sturdier DUC 32 and MY DUC under braking dives 15 degrees left needs some getting just setting up a corner under braking on those.