[Event] Freedom Challenge 2014

tubed

2nd Pyga of the pair, is packed and ready to go. Lights on tonight and we rock n roll at sunup on Wednesday! :)

2 hot pygas there.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

shout out to Greg Minaar Racing of PMB, for getting these beasts in tip top shape for R2R :)

Second this - PYGAs running smooth :thumbup: .

As predicted, that didn't take too long, we have a whole bunch exploring the grasslands of Ntsikeni tonight, I believe 3 are in, for the rest it is going to be a very cold, dark night - hopefully not too late. One thing they can guarantee is a hot shower and first class hospitality from the headman and his wife.

Make no mistake these guys and girls will now know this is no mean feat they have tackled and from here it gets a lot tougher for a day or two.

News too is that the first three riders have bucked the trend and headed past Allendale, probably for Centacow, which is all good and well, but what do you do the day after that?, its either an easy ride to the next support station or a very tough second day to the next intermediate stop or even the next support station. What it does mean, is that you are taking risks and putting an enormous amount of pressure on a body battling to adapt to fatigue, foreign food, foreign rhythms and heat/ extreme cold. Its a massive gamble in my books if you are not 100% sure of what you are doing.

Look forward to catching up tomorrow, it could be a long night for some.

Edited by tubed

Shot Tubed, will be following this thread keenly. Good luck to all riding, and to you MadMarnitz. Will be following your sleeping? exploits.

thanks Deanbean - got to be nice and cold in your neck of the woods already, the guys will be headed there in about a week, look forward to your insights again too this year

Tubed! Your 2013 Freedom Challenge forum was epic!! And YES! I am doing it for the first time this year! Thanks to you and all for the inspiration!

4 days to go! 2014 RASA - bring it on!

Very chuffed to see you riding,look forward to following your exploits, all the very best and look forward to commenting on your progress.

Coffee rituals and deep bonds:

Quite a lot going on in this photo.

Pete Button,a RASA2013 finisher is the midlands farmer and owner of the Landy. John, the rider, is the husband of Avril (read about her legendary exploits here last year (http://glennharrison...telekamp_3.html).

As I mentioned earlier, these are proud people and when the race passes through their area they pop up along the route with coffee, soup, rusks, biltong and sometimes vetkoek. These moments of sharing on the side of the road are priceless and what inspires current and future riders, these are what make our rural communities so great.

That must have been one special coffee John is sharing with Pete.

post-1509-0-37689800-1402469356_thumb.jpg

joh....things are starting to get a bit exciting...can see bugs and mike like to lead out the train and get in early..wonder if they'll jump ahead or wait for the intrepid three who got into centacow?

glad tubed is around as it is impossible to see what's actually going on after the fact - no timestamps on the historical tracks means that you can only guess when and where people stopped and started. he's monitoring it quite nicely, thank you thank you.

another thing to watch is the 'line honours' category. AFAIK it's been a long while since the first person in has not been the overall winner (can't remember if trev and uge pulled it off the one year or if Alex overtook them?). but with 8 days head start, batch A will be needing to do 19/21 days to be in with a shout, that's a damn good ride for a novice

45]

"Don't rush to Rhodes guys. Only -13 C In Barkly/Rhodes this morning" -

Not much more needs to be added to this post....

man oh man, the cold is a challenge i never quite got over on the race, i hated walking out that front door from a nice warm house into a blast freezer. but there really isn't that much of a change from cold to f@#$%ing cold. it's just always f@##$ing cold till you can ride long enough to get warm. oddly you start wishing for a nice hill to start the ride - this is normally never the case, as most houses are up the hill to escape the valley/temperature inversions!

Lots going on out on the trail today.

Hubbers Ryanpmb and Percyzn being locals in that part of the world have breezed into Allendale for a late lunch, Trailwarrior is hot on their heels too. Looks like the first two will push on to Centacow as Rhodes is their destination.

The three that pushed past the Support Station 1 last night were out of Centacow the intermediate stop just after 3;30am and blitzed through Ntsikeni and on to Glen Edward and to overnight late tonight at Masakala, which will put them a day ahead of their start group.

Sadly, we may have the first abandon at Glen Edward of one of the members of Batch A, but lets see if he can be persuaded by the race office before we make any call here.

As with last year it seems if the weather is good and there are no issues the guys are keen to race and make the most of the conditions, certainly the pace is hot this year.

Trying to work out from the tracker WTF is going on.

looks like some night moves are at play -

batch A - some latecomers to masakala...day 3 is easier than the previous two but maybe they're taking strain

batch B - looks like mike and des are chilling at banchory/glen edward...well at least somewhere near there - maybe the place marker is wrong.