WIGGINS DROPPED FROM SKY FOR TDF 2014

Waynehans

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wiggins needs a Froome/Porte/Contador/Rogers-type dedicated helper(s) to shepherd him through the mountains.

He is not capable of winning the high mountain stages on his own against multiple attacks by determined adversaries.

He may have a big motor, and his Paris Roubaix was impressive, but a Grand Tour winner(going forward) he will not be - perhaps if Contador rides for him and he returns the favour, maybe then. BUT...oh, wait, he doesn't return favours.

Imagine, for just a second, Wiggo trying to follow Quintana up the Galibier or similar Alpine stage, after three cat 1 or hors categorie climbs, after having exhausted his helpers. Time trial prowess will not suffice this time, I'm afraid.

Froome can do it, so can an in-form Contador. Wiggo's engine isn't designed for this type of effort.

2012 may as well be 1912 for all the relevance it has with regard to winning the TdF this year or ever again for Wiggins.

Edited by Chro Mo

From a pure performance point of view:

Comparatively, Wiggo has shown better recent results than Froome

Check out the dominating win at Tour of Cali.

Fair comment - I agree with the ToC reference - a good, solid and impressive win.

My point, however, is this: Wiggins could win the Tour IF he had the same help he had in 2012, and under no other circumstances.

He simply does not have the ability to keep up, under pressure and isolated, once the road tilts dramatically upward.

While difficult in a one week race, this is not so much of a problem. A three week race is a whole different kettle of fish altogether.

I would love to see Wiggo, Froome, Quintana and Froome duke it out head-to-head in July with the new generation snapping at their heels.

Wiggins was never going to the Tour as long as Froome was going...

imho opinion, Sky kept him as a backup option, and also to ensure no other team had him at their disposal.

Not to mention he's a great big cog in their PR machine.

He's obviously a contender, and the fewer of those Chris has to face up to in July, the better Sky's chances.

Look forward to the fireworks in 2015 when they go up against each other!

How long can Wiggins remain a force on the bike though remains to be seen?

Wiggins was never going to the Tour as long as Froome was going...

imho opinion, Sky kept him as a backup option, and also to ensure no other team had him at their disposal.

Not to mention he's a great big cog in their PR machine.

He's obviously a contender, and the fewer of those Chris has to face up to in July, the better Sky's chances.

Look forward to the fireworks in 2015 when they go up against each other!

How long can Wiggins remain a force on the bike though remains to be seen?

Your interpretation is spot on. He was never an option given the history between the two. When things get rough in the mountains there's no time to think, the team drill needs to kick in, who dies for whom and in what sequence, who sits up when to rest so he can pull the next day, one rider out of place or sequence and the plan falls apart. Hence the dress rehearsal at Dauphine. This is not a weekend fun ride, the stakes are massive, nothing happens in the months leading up to TDF that has not been scripted by the minute.

Seems Wiggins ruled himself out...

From supersport.com

Bradley Wiggins has ruled himself out of participating in the Tour de France after the 2012 champion hinted that Team Sky are unlikely to select him in their squad, the Briton said on Friday.

"Right now, I think I can tell you that I will not ride the Tour de France," Wiggins told France sports daily L'Equipe after he was overlooked for the Dauphine Librere, a key Tour warm-up event in southeastern France.

"I was ready to go. But in the last weeks, it has become clear that unless something happens to (Chris) Froome at the Dauphine, I will not ride the Tour. That's it."

Seems Wiggins ruled himself out...

From supersport.com

Bradley Wiggins has ruled himself out of participating in the Tour de France after the 2012 champion hinted that Team Sky are unlikely to select him in their squad, the Briton said on Friday.

"Right now, I think I can tell you that I will not ride the Tour de France," Wiggins told France sports daily L'Equipe after he was overlooked for the Dauphine Librere, a key Tour warm-up event in southeastern France.

"I was ready to go. But in the last weeks, it has become clear that unless something happens to (Chris) Froome at the Dauphine, I will not ride the Tour. That's it."

"Houston....we have a problem!!"

Or maybe its, "SKY......we have a problem.!!" :eek:

Froom should have had 2 TDF titles to his name .His own and the one he carried wiggo around .Good on team sky for being fair

Wiggins needs a Froome/Porte/Contador/Rogers-type dedicated helper(s) to shepherd him through the mountains.

He is not capable of winning the high mountain stages on his own against multiple attacks by determined adversaries.

He may have a big motor, and his Paris Roubaix was impressive, but a Grand Tour winner(going forward) he will not be - perhaps if Contador rides for him and he returns the favour, maybe then. BUT...oh, wait, he doesn't return favours.

Imagine, for just a second, Wiggo trying to follow Quintana up the Galibier or similar Alpine stage, after three cat 1 or hors categorie climbs, after having exhausted his helpers. Time trial prowess will not suffice this time, I'm afraid.

Froome can do it, so can an in-form Contador. Wiggo's engine isn't designed for this type of effort.

2012 may as well be 1912 for all the relevance it has with regard to winning the TdF this year or ever again for Wiggins.

2012 was built for Wiggo. The mountains werent too tough and there was plenty of time trialling.

2012 was built for Wiggo. The mountains werent too tough and there was plenty of time trialling.

I agree

A top 10 finisher for sure. Top step....probably not to be repeated again by Wiggo.

I would love to see Wiggo, Froome, Quintana and Froome duke it out head-to-head in July with the new generation snapping at their heels.

I am not sure how much "newer" Quintana could be.... I think if he was any younger he would still be in mountain nappies.

Froom should have had 2 TDF titles to his name .His own and the one he carried wiggo around .Good on team sky for being fair

Apart from the fact was that Froome was there to support Wiggins, the team leader. Froome wasn't the leader so it wasn't his tour to win.

You take a pay cheque and you do the job that you signed on for. That is the point of super domestiques they mostly can win the races themselves on other teams. Sanchez to Cadel, Rodgers to Contador even Porte / Uran to Froome. He was supposed to protect Wiggins in the mountains, that was his job. Do you hear Renshaw b*tching about leading out Cav' if he thinks he's feeling good that day and can take the sprint himself?

Froome is obviously clinical about his ambitions, getting there and getting rid of threats. He was never going to let wiggins back in to his team. All the races this year have been without him, the public recon' of the stages without him, training camps without him and the various responses through the media to Twiggys comments slapped each one down in the nicest way. Then a book release where he 'had' to cover the issues from 2012 and release it in the run up to the tour....

Edited by hellocolour

Bad vibes beget bad times ...

The Wig has been more reconciling lately, Chris ... hmmm, this book, I agree, too early, you really need the benefit of hindsight before you write your memoirs, like Sean Kelly did last year, its more about making money from the book deal right here,right now, the controversy draws readers and money.

So whats the guarantee Chris will deliver on the expectations? zilch imo. Him and right hand man Richie have not had a great build up, have they, what with injuries and assorted sickies.Sky had a poor performance at the Giro. Hope the Colombians smoke them

Sure he is not a pure climber, but did you see up pace up the mountains in the Tour of Cal? very impressive.

From an entertainment point of view he has to go to another team and compete again as a contender. Entertainment is what we are after, screw their team dynamics. Don't like Sky anyway. Would be lovely to see these 2 bitching and moaning while competing against each other just to wake up and realize that someone ran away with the top step