SA Team for Commonwealth Games in Glasgow 2014

jcza

I'm sure the commentator mentioned that the guy was Swaziland was 48 years old and also the President (or something similar) of the cycling federation.

Think you are right, read somewhere he is at least vice-prez. Maybe cause cycling is so small in the country it is up to the cyclists themselves to run the show, similar to a large club that then doubles as being the national setup at the same time

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea Buys should be right up there.

UCI rankings are grossly misleading, in this case case Cooper is U23 so doesn't earn as many points as an elite and Buys earns his points from winning local SA races which are UCI sanctioned.

How many times this year has James Reid beaten Cooper at U23 World Cup races?

last year in maritzburg he came 4th, reid down in 27th but would have been a bit closer

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uci-xcoxcedhi4x-world-championships-2013/u23-men-cross-country/results

Fellow podium hopeful, James Reid, found himself in a far better position than his countryman early on in the encounter as he powered into seventh position overall and perfectly poised to pounce with his local knowledge of the course standing him in good stead to launch his attack.

It wasn't to be though as firstly a loose rear wheel forced him a long way down the field before a broken seat then cost him crucial further minutes and frustratingly and disappointingly destroyed any last hopes he may have had of consolidating things.

Edited by Shebeen

PMB U23

Reid 4th

Cooper 5th

Nove Mesto U23

Reid 10th

Cooper 16th

Cairns U23

Reid - DNS

Cooper - DNS

Albstadt U23

Cooper 15th

Reid 26th

ok, so its 'only' 2 out of 3 :)

last year in maritzburg he came 4th, reid down in 27th but would have been a bit closer

http://www.cyclingne...country/results

Fellow podium hopeful, James Reid, found himself in a far better position than his countryman early on in the encounter as he powered into seventh position overall and perfectly poised to pounce with his local knowledge of the course standing him in good stead to launch his attack.

It wasn't to be though as firstly a loose rear wheel forced him a long way down the field before a broken seat then cost him crucial further minutes and frustratingly and disappointingly destroyed any last hopes he may have had of consolidating things.

Ried beat Cooper this year in PMB and Nové Mesto na Morave but Cooper beat Reid at Albstadt and one of the American Cup races, excluding the American race they have been within 2 mins of each other al year.

I did however hear that Cooper was suffering from some virus and he was way off the pace that he was riding as a junior.

Tubby Reddy from sascoc believes in tightening the belt, can't be seen to be opulent and waste money on sending athletes on overseas holidays now can we?!

http://www.sabc.co.za/wps/wcm/connect/03b3f9804f3bb371aa2cab1e5d06aea0/tubby-reddy.jpg?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=03b3f9804f3bb371aa2cab1e5d06aea0

Tubby needs to tighten his belt and stay away from the buffet.

Holy cow.

His cup (and collar) overfloweth.

I did however hear that Cooper was suffering from some virus and he was way off the pace that he was riding as a junior.

That must be true 'cos as a junior he was untouchable then he kinda faded as a U23, next Nino for sure.

I juts doen't understand where the development is, Neethling goes to Olympics, comes last but gets valuable experience but then they send someone else to CWG, bet they send someone new to Rio.......

That must be true 'cos as a junior he was untouchable then he kinda faded as a U23, next Nino for sure.

I juts doen't understand where the development is, Neethling goes to Olympics, comes last but gets valuable experience but then they send someone else to CWG, bet they send someone new to Rio.......

thought the same thing, but neethling got 3rd last weekend at SA champs, so mariske clearly quicker now.

I don't think they should base international racing on local events, its just so different.

Hey, at least Neethling was racing elite, she's still U23, clearly wanting to up her game......that's cool.

I rememember Greg Miller raced elite when he was final year Junior at all the WP xc races.....

lank interesting post on how the commonwealth games stacks up VS olympic games.

http://sportsscientists.com/2014/07/commonwealth-calibration/

he reason I wondered about Commonwealth prestige, is that every four years, the Commonwealth Games represent a high-point midway through South Africa’s Olympic cycle. It’s our four-yearly celebration of our administrators for their excellent achievements (we win 30 to 40 medals, fairly consistently), before the inevitable Olympic downturn two years later, when the global reality bites back (we win between 1 and 6 medals. That’s usually followed by an inquisition, before nothing changes).

We run this roller-coaster because we don’t fully ‘calibrate’ performances between the two Games, even though they’re clearly different. Yes, there’s considerable overlap between participants, but the obvious absence of the world’s sporting superpowers has to be factored in to the evaluation of performance.

Failing to do this results in artificially inflated targets, the inefficient allocation of limited funding, and a general lack of “equity” in the intellectual understanding and management of our Olympic-focused high performance cycles. This message is propagated by the media, and thus heard by the public, who are never helped to understand the context of the Commonwealth Games in the global landscape, and how this affects Olympic success.

So the big cheese at SASCOC wanted to come 5th in the medal table, currently we're in 7th with the swimming behind us and the athletics to come. (we came tie 5th with kenya in Dehli 2010)

We need some golds to overtake india and catch up to NZ.

incidentally our men are doing all the winning.

currently 24 medals for men, 5 for ladies, 3 for mixed.

BUYS is out wondering somewhere why they didn't choose James Reid & Rourke Croeser instead...

Buys has been ill with a virus since the week before SA's. Hardly deserves to be bitched at by the Hub when you dont know the facts.