What came first? The C(hicken)amber or The E(gg)pic? ( A long, probably boring read!)

L.T.G

Also Vipa, anthem, pyga 110 29er

Not that stuck record again. Vipa= nice, but too expensive, not proven itself yet, hearing lots of stories about broken frames lately.. Anthem is good, but again, nothing to drool over in the looks department. Pyga, heavy, expensive and no carbon options. I also consider niche brands everytime I buy, Rocky Mountain, Bmc etc etc, but ultimately the lack of bikes to Demo, dealers refusing to negotiate on discount and fear of aftersales keeps me going back to the big S.

Also cause Spez make shoes, helmets, clothing, gloves etc etc, I always negotiate a sweet pair of shoes or a helmet with my new bike. Getting a Stumpy expert later this week, 25 percent off retail, and new pair of s works shoes.

Edited by Johny Bravo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just took the Camber for a first test ride...at a muddy Meerendal...and broke a number of Strava PRs. Can't argue that, better warn the bank manager of impending trouble. :P :D

Did the same with the Epic, and I was only putting in 70%.

Did the same with the Epic, and I was only putting in 70%.

Oi...First World problems... :)

Fortunately I'm not really interested in the Epic. I am looking at the Rocky Mountain Element though, also a racing XC geometry, but apparently has great trail characteristics, less racy and more playful. Could be a nice all-rounder, like the Camber is.

I did the complete opposite to the rest of The Hub's Spez owners and bought something other than an Epic.... I bought a Camber Expert. Love the bike, it suits the type of riding I do. I rode Sani2C on it with only doing 2 or 3 rides before and I didn't once feel uncomfortable. Coming off a hardtail, the Camber was a bit of a dog on the climbs, as the Epic, Stumpy or any other duallie would feel for that matter.

I didn't want the Brain, just another maintenance intensive part that can ONLY be serviced by Specialized. The a Fox CTD is easy to use and is more than efficient.

The one big selling point of the 2014 Epic, is 2 bottle cages on the frame. I would love that on the Camber, although Specialized has a solution to that problem with their SWAT clothing range.

I wanted the extra travel and a simpler suspension system, also the Camber's spec beats a similarly priced Epic..

The lower speced Cambers can be heavy, so Carbon Comp is the lowest you can go, otherwise a similar priced a Epic would be a better bet.

The Epic is a nice racy machine, the Camber is a whole lot of fun and not scared to give the okes on Epics a clout.... Whichever you decide, in my opinion, Specialized make great MTB's, will be a great choice.... Just ride the damned thing, that's the least it deserves.

Edited by flyguysa

I did the complete opposite to the rest of The Hub's Spez owners and bought something other than an Epic.... I bought a Camber Expert. Love the bike, it suits the type of riding I do. I rode Sani2C on it with only doing 2 or 3 rides before and I didn't once feel uncomfortable. Coming off a hardtail, the Camber was a bit of a dog on the climbs, as the Epic, Stumpy or any other duallie would feel for that matter.

I didn't want the Brain, just another maintenance intensive part that can ONLY be serviced by Specialized. The a Fox CTD is easy to use and is more than efficient.

The one big selling point of the 2014 Epic, is 2 bottle cages on the frame. I would love that on the Camber, although Specialized has a solution to that problem with their SWAT clothing range.

I wanted the extra travel and a simpler suspension system, also the Camber's spec beats a similarly priced Epic..

The lower speced Cambers can be heavy, so Carbon Comp is the lowest you can go, otherwise a similar priced a Epic would be a better bet.

The Epic is a nice racy machine, the Camber is a whole lot of fun and not scared to give the okes on Epics a clout.... Whichever you decide, in my opinion, Specialized make great MTB's, will be a great choice.... Just ride the damned thing, that's the least it deserves.

Camber is becoming massively popular. The s works version was sold out before it even hit our shores, even the expert sold out quickly. I dont think it wil be long before it outsells the Epic.

right....

so a bit of an update..

I took the Camber out again this morning ( a -4 start so took me a while to get going and actually feel the bike)

I took it on exactly the same route I rode the Epic on a couple weeks ago...

and "surprise surprise" it was awesome again and I Loved it!again!

it wasn't as quick on the climbs as the Epic was but nor was it sluggish..

So awesome on the singletrack and I absolutely smashed the downhills!

Specially coming down from the Greek Church at Van Gaalens

post-6012-0-53801300-1403345399_thumb.jpg

I've come to this conclusion:-

I'm no race snake, AT ALL,... I stop a lot most time when when I ride as I like to take photos.. so it's never a case of point A to B as fast as possible for me.

I'll do a couple of events here and there and time pending a one or two of stage events next year ( Berg and Bush Descent and if fortune smiles my way, Sani)

otherwise the rest of the time will be spent riding recreationally.

I'll also be splitting my riding time between this bike and my SS

I also think I'll stick to the choice of Comp Carbon, the Elite is awesomely spec'ed, carbon all ovr the place and dropper post etc...

for 40K I think the CC will do the job for me (maybe just the brakes will need some upgrading)

So my decision is made...

I think :whistling: ....

Thanks for all the help,input and advice everyone :thumbup:

right....

so a bit of an update..

I took the Camber out again this morning ( a -4 start so took me a while to get going and actually feel the bike)

I'm no race snake, AT ALL,... I stop a lot most time when when I ride as I like to take photos.. so it's never a case of point A to B as fast as possible for me.

I'll do a couple of events here and there and time pending a one or two of stage events next year ( Berg and Bush Descent and if fortune smiles my way, Sani)

I also think I'll stick to the choice of Comp Carbon, the Elite is awesomely spec'ed, carbon all ovr the place and dropper post etc...

for 40K I think the CC will do the job for me (maybe just the brakes will need some upgrading)

Good choice dude. MAny happy miles in your future.

right....

so a bit of an update..

Congrats!

I was all set for the Camber Expert...and fortunately had lunch with a couple clients (who are also experienced riders) and after a few wines they convinced me...that it is overkill for a new rider like me and I probably won't notice the difference. Rather go big two years from now and then enjoy extras like carbon wheels, dropper post, different shocks etc.

Walked into my LBS and bought the Camber Comp Carbon. Almost took her home with me...but then did a quick sizing and I need XL...so on order, should be here on Tuesday.

Enjoy your new ride, I sure as hell can't wait for mine. Thanks for your thread and thanks Hubbers for all the patient advice.

Congrats!

I was all set for the Camber Expert...and fortunately had lunch with a couple clients (who are also experienced riders) and after a few wines they convinced me...that it is overkill for a new rider like me and I probably won't notice the difference. Rather go big two years from now and then enjoy extras like carbon wheels, dropper post, different shocks etc.

Walked into my LBS and bought the Camber Comp Carbon. Almost took her home with me...but then did a quick sizing and I need XL...so on order, should be here on Tuesday.

Enjoy your new ride, I sure as hell can't wait for mine. Thanks for your thread and thanks Hubbers for all the patient advice.

Thank SiriS :thumbup:

congrats to you too!

I was also thinking about something else... if you're happy with the CC instead of the Expert, if you're in no rush you never know, you might pick up good buys of Carbon wheels etc along the way.

Don't forget to share some pics when your new family addition arrives

Damn. You ride pretty much the same as me - and I had settled on an Epic for the speed (I need all the help I can get)

;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Right... so, firstly thanks again to all you guys who helped with advice and feedback regarding my dilemma....

I made a choice...

had my fitting and picked it up today:-

post-6012-0-91277800-1404729183_thumb.jpg

post-6012-0-27354200-1404729203_thumb.jpg

Edited by L.T.G