Online Racing - Virtualtraining (Cyclops)

Garfield2010

guys - apologies for the late arrival, but need some advice.

which model of cyclops do you guys use ? currently I use a RavX trainer from 2006, and the cable that changes the resistance is starting to go - so I want to use this time to possibly upgrade.

Am after something similar (?) that lets you increase the resistance while you ride, so simulating a hill. but can be done either with an app, or manually through the cable. But then something that will also allow virtual training (maybe ride a course, or allow you to set up a course, although I have o idea on how to do this). 

any thoughts guys?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not aware of one that can be controlled by an app AND a cable?

You can always use your gears to simulate a harder resistance - most (all?) of the smart trainers act like a normal trainer when not powered or connected to an app.

(The Tacx Satori Smart can be controlled by cable, but not by an app - its effectively read-only).

If your budget allows, aim for the Tacx Bushido or higher (CycleOps PowerSync, Wahoo Kickr Snap or the two top-tier ones - Wahoo Kickr or Tacx Neo Smart).

The Tacx Vortex Smart is relatively cheap versus the rest, but it can't simulate the resistance of steeper climbs - I've got one and while it is a great training tool (probably my best cycling-related purchase ever), eventually when I can afford to I will want to upgrade.

guys - apologies for the late arrival, but need some advice.

which model of cyclops do you guys use ? currently I use a RavX trainer from 2006, and the cable that changes the resistance is starting to go - so I want to use this time to possibly upgrade.

Am after something similar (?) that lets you increase the resistance while you ride, so simulating a hill. but can be done either with an app, or manually through the cable. But then something that will also allow virtual training (maybe ride a course, or allow you to set up a course, although I have o idea on how to do this).

any thoughts guys?

Hi Slowbs

Forget about the cable - that's like going back to the 80's.

If you want to ride in the "virtual world", your most common options are:

1. One of the new SMART Tacx trainers. Either the Bushido or the Vortex are "reasonably" priced. Tacx have a reputation for being finnicky, and for software instability, though I believe the new offerings are much improved. If you do go for Tacx, it is essential that you only buy one of the SMART models, as only these have the ability to be used with 3rd party apps. Ie- they are not locked into Tacx Trainer software, as in the older Tacx machines, which are not upgradeable.

2. Cycleops Powersynch (the Powerbeam Pro is no longer distributed in Sa). Here you have to choose as to whether to buy an ANT+ model (which you will want if you intend to use with your pc) or a bluetooth model, which is compatible with your smart phone.

3. Wahoo Kikr. Within the Wahoo range, you have the choice between the very expensive original direct drive model (you take the back wheel off, and connect your bike directly to an on board cassette), and the new Wahoo Kikr SNAP, which is a traditional trainer (back wheel stays on), and is much more reasonably priced. The beauty of Wahoo (whether the ordinary Kikr, or the cheaper SNAP is that it broadcasts power simultaneously in both ANT+ and bluetooth, which is a huge benefit. For me , it was a no brainer - I went for the Kikr SNAP after my old faithful Tacx I - magic was fried by lightning in December last year. I am really enjoying the SNAP, its built like a tank, and it works seamlessly. And it is super quiet!

NB. Irrespective of which of the above 3 options you choose, the beauty is you will be able to use CycleOps Virtual training, which is the platform chosen for this threads weekly races, Or apps like Trainerroadd or Zwift. I have only tried Virtual Training, and am enjoying it. But its not free, there is a monthly cost, depending upon whether you choose the pc, Ipad or phone offering. However, if you do go with Wahoo, the Wahoo fitness app is free, and is the IPhone or Android equivalent of your cable, but does so so much more.

There are of course other trainers, but in my research I did not focus on them. The resident expert is Rouxtjie.

Bottom line - the above choices will basically give you the same kinda experience. The Tacx vortex was a sweet deal when I was looking - but I don't know if it still is after Nenegate.

My biased advise: Get the Kikr SNAP. Before the price goes up - at the argus expo they told me this is happening soon.

Also bear in mind, you will need an ANT+ dongle for your pc. Also its important to check that your machine has the minimum system requirements to run your app of choice, so as to avoid nasty post purchase surprises. (Zwift needs a 64 bit kick ass machine).

Hope this helps. Bear in mind that I am a newbie, but my research is all current. Most guys swear by their cycleops machines, and it's said (most notably by DIPS) that you just cant go wrong with it. But Wahoo is shaking up the market, no question. And Tacx have upped their game markedly, by opening their platform compatibility to 3rd part apps, and by vastly improving their own software, TTS4. Which Is free, but you still need to buy Google Earth and Multiplayer licenses annually.

Ps. The best trainer said to have ever been made is the NEW Tacx NEO SMART. Its said to be the closest you will ever come to the feeling of riding on the road; it even lets your bike sway when climbing out of the saddle. The price is the stuff of which cycling related divorces are made.

Slowbee, give me a call or pop me a mail anytime to chat about this. I get a shamelessly sick vicarious pleasure in getting involved in other people's cycling purchases. (You get the shopping rush without having to dole out the moola)

Edited by Harryn

Slowbee, give me a call or pop me a mail anytime to chat about this. I get a shamelessly sick vicarious pleasure in getting involved in other people's cycling purchases. (You get the shopping rush without having to dole out the moola)

Thanks for the write up. With the shortened week next week I will be doing some looking (ie spending)

Next week is a rather short working week. Which day do you guys want to race?

We are doing a long ride to the Vaal on Monday, so my preference would be for Wed night so as to recover on Tuesday

Edited by Harryn

Wed would be better from a practical point as well. Will post a fast and furious route

I'm currently trying crossfit on Mondays and Wednesdays, so I'll probably miss a few races.

After Monday's class I felt no discomfort in my left knee at spinning on Tuesday, for the first time in quite a while, so I am going to stick to it for a while and see how it goes.

Good Day guys. Finally i can post on this topic after eyeing it for some time :clap: .  Got my trainer this week and Ive done a few sessions in the trail version to check if everything works.  Plan on downloading a few courses this weekend to take on holiday with me, can you provide me with a list of your favorite tracks please.  Quick +-1 hour track and longer.

Wed would be better from a practical point as well. Will post a fast and furious route

Wednesday will suite me as well - great

Damn thing disconnected just as the race started, had to play catch up.  That was a tough session :clap:

Hey guys, Cyclelab is offering an amazing deal on the CycleOps PowerSync, R11 999.00 for the CycleOps PowerSync with FREE universal tablet holder and a levelling block !!! This is a saving of over R5 000 !!!!! Cyclelab have been sitting on the stock for some time now and bought a bulk order from us before the exchange rate shifted !! If anyone is interested i would strongly advise taking a turn past !! 

PS Sorry for the hijack but DAM this is a good deal !! 

Hey guys, Cyclelab is offering an amazing deal on the CycleOps PowerSync, R11 999.00 for the CycleOps PowerSync with FREE universal tablet holder and a levelling block !!! This is a saving of over R5 000 !!!!! Cyclelab have been sitting on the stock for some time now and bought a bulk order from us before the exchange rate shifted !! If anyone is interested i would strongly advise taking a turn past !! 

PS Sorry for the hijack but DAM this is a good deal !! 

Anybody looking to get into the online training and racing thing that does not go for this option is stupid!!!!!