Pedal Power Association (PPA)

GroenHoender

Not sure if it is the right place to ask this:

Just curious to learn or find out anyone's thoughts and opinions with regarding 'Pedal Power Association'?

Are they worth it to be a member of?

Given their broad exposure, as well as their involvement with various trails all over the Western Cape, and the member benefits they offer (ie, discounts at various trails), is it worth it?

Sometimes it is too much of a hassle to go to a specific trail, just to pay a lot of money to get a information bike board, and to ride there.

Please understand it is not a flame topic or it intends to be. I also understand the reason behind trail fees as it is all for maintenance of trails.

My gripe is just that there are so many bike clubs / organisations out there but with limited benefits.

Sorry about my post being bit vague.

Not interested in anything race-related. More interested in casual rides (again, not any event related).

Basically just going to any trail, pay up the necessary fee, and ride just for the fun of it.

But what I have heard is that it is expensive, as every trail has their own fee as well as the obligatory buy "bike board" stuff. Will being member of the PPA prevent this? The last thing I want is a large collection of plastic bike boards, and a empty purse :-)

I see on their web site that they have a lot of trails:

http://www.pedalpower.org.za/mtb/index.php/mtb6/trails-to-ride/

Hence my original post: is it worth it to be a PPA member, just for the fun-ride aspects?

I see on their web site that they have a lot of trails:

http://www.pedalpowe...trails-to-ride/

Those are just a list of trails, for most of them PPA membership is not going to be a benefit.

I suggest just start riding the trails you want, you will soon figure out what membership can be taken out to avoid the daily fees of the trails you like/ ride often (when applicable)

Currently there are no single membership that you can take out that will give you access to the majority of trails.

Edited by Skubarra

Serious lack of PPA races this year it seems. Many of the PPA races that were on the calendar last year have gone on their own or something.

It is sad that the main reason for joining PPA seems to be the discount benefit.

Beside that and seeding, what other benefit could there be.

If you're looking for more than direct benefits, PPA does do a lot for development and safety.

Edited by Nick.

If you do enough races to justify it then I say it is worth it. If you don't then probably not. I have been a member for 4 years now. This may be my last as I don't do many of the local one day races anymore!!

I've noticed your absence from the latest races, why is that?

Ppa membership is not alot, I do enough ppa events to get my money back. Race number convenient and you dont start with the slowbies cos im seeded lekker in the middle. I have annual tokai permit cos I ride tokai, rhodes often enough. I love the tygerberg trails but dont ride it often enough so happy to pay daily fees. I hope to change that because if you link the tygerberg trails you get a mal ride but then you need a membership.

Ppa works for me.

I also plan on getting PPA membership mostly for seeding purposes.currently have to start at the back and work my way through slower cyclists who are only in front of me because they are PPA members.

It is sad that the main reason for joining PPA seems to be the discount benefit.

Errr, no, I did not say PPA for the discounts but because when I Google'd bike organisations and trails, the PPA popped up. As well as a few other sites. But digging deeper made me realise that PPA is an organisation involved in promoting MTB and building trails, as opposed to clubs who is, well, just clubs (no disrespect meant).

Allow me to quote from my original post again:

"The last thing I want is a large collection of plastic bike boards, and a empty purse :-)"

That is the main reason for my inquiry.

I am based in Stellenbosch, and aside of Dirtopia and Jonkershoek, I don't have any clue or idea of any other trails, including which are open for riding, which are off-limits (private grounds), etc

I am willing to pay to ride on a trail but I do not want to incur too much/many expenses either.

Get the tiger berg Mtb club membership

Thanks for the suggestion - unfortunately a bit too far for me.

I am based in Stellenbosch, and even the Bottelary Hills is quite a way out of town.

Hence my post - to find out which MTB organisation or club in my town have details of trails, fees and more where I can enjoy having informal, casual, relaxed rides. Not remotedly interested in any event / competition stuff.