Maintaining fitness during Ramadaan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what's this got to do with the topic?

Ja, me wondering too, I thought I'm just being dof and the only one not catching it.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice article,

I know some people might not train due to rather spending the time on spiritual activities and that is cool, each to its own.

Those who wish to continue exercising like me, this article is useful.

Remember at school, we would play games, sports before school starts, 1st and 2nd interval, after school until our folks yelled its almost boeka time, all during the fast, in hot months and we would not even get tired or thirsty! Human body is amazing! Getting the balance right and each to its own

• 2 weeks later...

Eid next week already. How was the Ramadhaan guys?

ramadhaan(the fast) was fast. I hope I lost the kilo's I need to loose so that I can climb quiker. I need to train for my first DC...lol

• 10 months later...

I'm really looking forward to Ramadaan this year. While post Ramadaan fatigue plagues me every year. It's something I can't care too much about right now.

Other than riding to mosque (weather permitting) I have no intentions of trying to maintain or improve my (virtually non existent) fitness levels this year.

I'm going to take a break from fitness activities all together.

I am however, definitely going to watch what I eat. Perhaps my post Ramadaan fatigue could be attributed to the foods i eat during this month rather than the fasting itself. When iftaar comes the treats are either drenched in oil or sugar. Lets see if I can stick to this.

I had a busy but fun weekend. Surfing saturday, riding sunday and even took my family out for lunch and shopping. 

I wish you all the best for the month ahead.

Ramadaan Kareem

Living in Kuwait, we often go out after Iftaar, usually at around 10pm... normally for a 20km spin, not much more. The heat here is still at around 40 degrees at that time, and the Iftaar meal is quite substantial....

Since buying an IDT last month I was hoping to get some training in this Ramadaan. Three times a week, split between tabatas and a longer aerobic session, all after taraweeh. And the odd 3km run if its not too cold.

Emirati cyclists hope to inspire women to work out during Ramadan

http://www.thenational.ae/storyimage/AB/20150613/ARTICLE/150619607/AR/0/&MaxW=640&imageVersion=default&AR-150619607.jpg

DUBAI // A group of female Emirati cyclists will be on their bikes during Ramadan hoping to motivate others to exercise after breaking their fast.

While many view the holy month as a time to slow their daily routine and even stop working out, bank manager Masooma Ali is turning it up a gear in preparation for a 70-kilometre road race on July 3.

“This is my goal, to get more girls into cycling. I’m trying to promote this sport for girls,” said Ms Ali, who is riding 50km a day as she trains for the Nad Al Sheba cycling championship, a race that takes place in the evening.

“Cycling is not very common in our culture, and girls normally go to the gym or train indoors. So you really have to convince others to take up cycling.”

She advised women not to overeat at iftar and work out to improve fitness and nutrition levels. “Last year, I raced for fun but this year I’m taking it seriously. You become conscious about what you’re eating because it affects training, so I make sure to have salad and proteins. In the UAE we tend to eat fried foods for iftar. I feel we stuff ourselves and this is the wrong way. During Ramadan we need exercise even if it’s a one-hour walk to feel fresh.”

Ms Ali recently attended a nutrition workshop organised by Liv Cycling, a store dedicated to female cyclists. The participants heard valuable tips about eating small meals, the need for hydration, exercising two hours after a meal and adding rice, chicken, fish, whole grains and vegetables to their diet.

More workshops are planned this summer with the next focusing on hydration and electrolyte management, said Emma Woodcock, who represents the store. She cautioned those who do not train regularly not to overdo it.

“This is not a time to be pushing yourself hard. You can do strength training indoors like putting your bike on an indoor trainer for short workouts.”

Asma Al Janahi, an Emirati computer engineering student, hopes women will be encouraged to cycle when they see her group out in Al Barsha park, Jumeirah and around town.

“We are planning to do late evening rides during Ramadan,” said Ms Al Janahi, co-founder of UAE Cycling Girls, which has more than a dozen riders, mostly Emiratis.

“We want to tell other girls there is no reason to stop training during Ramadan if you exercise the rest of the year.

“Some people may be surprised to see us exercise during Ramadan. Some think being a girl you should not exercise or because it’s Ramadan you should not do anything. This is the general culture and we’re doing our best to change this idea. Girls need to eat healthy, stay hydrated and understand the power of cycling.”

Dietician Salma Ganchi said eating small portions at iftar was equally important and cycling outdoors during fasting hours was not recommended.

“Headaches are quite common during Ramadan and if you have a headache don’t go cycling,” she said.

“Tingling, the shivers are other warning signs of dehydration. Feeling dizzy on a bike is dangerous. The key in Ramadan is maintaining fitness, it’s not a time to increase fitness or become stronger.”

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/health/20150613/emirati-cyclists-hope-to-inspire-women-to-work-out-during-ramadan