Cycle from Sea to Table Mountain Upper Cable Car

KeaganB

Hi Hubbers

In august last year myself and 2 other guys were the first to cycle to the top of George Peak. It took us 10 1/2 hours but we did it.

I was looking last night as to which mountain i can climb next and i was thinking why not cycle to the top of table mountain.

So did some research and wasn't able to find any routes of guys that have done it before.

Surely some hubbers have cycled to the top. I want to go to the Upper cable car and then have dinner with my family at the restaurant and get the cable car down.

Possibly starting in camps bay.

Does anyone have a map or photos or anything that can help me? i want to give it a shot in October.

not to put a damper on your plans BUT afaik any cycling above Tafelberg Road ( lowers cable station) is not allowed.

As kids we used to walk up the back of the mountain to the reservoirs on the jeep track but I think this jeep track is also off limits to bikes . And it's a fair distance to cover on walking paths to the front of the mountain - think hike a bike potentially in a few places.

I was hoping that wasnt going to be the answer. Any reason as to why its not allowed?

Ask SanParks....

Have a look in the Table Mountain bikers section of the forum.

Got a hunch that this may well end in frustration for you when you run into the immovable object known as Sanparks.

About 10-12 years ago on a cold and rainy Saturday afternoon a buddy and I cycled from Durbanville to his parents home in Pinelands and there on a whim decided to cycle up Table Mountain. We went up the track at Constantia nek and carried on up the concrete track up to the Waterworks Museum. We ignored the no cycling sign at the start of the concrete track. We did not see a single person on the mountain that day, the weather was too bad. We were stupid and lucky not to get caught.

In those days there were not as many off road cyclists and the competition for trail space was not as fierce. I will not recommend others to break the law, in today's climate it will negatively affect all the other law abiding cyclists and will make the job of advocates for responsible cycling, such as Kandui very difficult. He is doing a lot of work to get Sanparks to see our point of view. Send him a pm to get his opinion or advice.

sad we can not use jeep track to ride to the top ... but then a chop would surely venture off and take his/her own path on the mountain table top and ruin it for all/

Do a special request to SANParks...

Make it a marketing exe cerise for them/publicity/income and i'm sure you'll be able to get the needed papers.

G

Not that you are going to get permission in a month of Sundays.

I wouldn't mention anything to Sanparks about publicity, event, ride etc - the moment they hear those words they assume revenue! and will ask you to fill in the forms for your 'event' so that they can get their cut.

Beware even if you want to take a large group for a hike in the reserve they are keen to make you apply for a permit, just in case there is chance that you are making some money

Hi Hubbers

In august last year myself and 2 other guys were the first to cycle to the top of George Peak. It took us 10 1/2 hours but we did it.

I was looking last night as to which mountain i can climb next and i was thinking why not cycle to the top of table mountain.

So did some research and wasn't able to find any routes of guys that have done it before.

Surely some hubbers have cycled to the top. I want to go to the Upper cable car and then have dinner with my family at the restaurant and get the cable car down.

Possibly starting in camps bay.

Does anyone have a map or photos or anything that can help me? i want to give it a shot in October.

first to cycle, or first to carry bikes to the peak?

Permissions aside, it's not rideable on anyway without a big portage. coming from town you'd need to hike up platteklip, camps bay will have you going up kasteelspoort. coming from constantia nek you can ride all the way to the cottages/dams, but then there would still be quite a lot of rocky walking from the valley of the Red Gods. Newlands side would be the same, but add on a walks up skeleton/nursery.

so in short, it's only really a big hike a bike. so if you just sommer have to do it. go up platteklip. ride to cable station/tafelberg road, collapse your bike. a folding bike would work best for this.

When we did our Sea to George Peak trip, later in the planning we decided to try raise money for the SPCA. And whilst it was nice knowing we were doing for a good cause and they were grateful, others in the community gave us quite a bit of stick and there was alot of processes to follows afterwards. So id like not to do it for any finacial gain to any party.

So i just want to get to the top to cross it off my bucketlist

Il phone SANparks and let you know what they say.

sad we can not use jeep track to ride to the top ... but then a chop would surely venture off and take his/her own path on the mountain table top and ruin it for all/

It's the rogue thing yeah

Slippery slope

Imagine the route wow