Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

Looks like Dirt-Rider got a bit lost in the Umko valley. Probably why he decided to wait until daylight before moving again.

No he wasn't lost, only collecting firewood and cow bedding for the sleep under the stars !!!!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No he wasn't lost, only collecting firewood and cow bedding for the sleep over under the stars !!!!

wanneer spring jy weg?

was wondering where he was. he put in some SERIOUS miles. Fjord is starting on monday. 

Looking forward to chatting to Andrew when he gets back. Will be following Fjord's trip with interest.

Big, big , big day for dirt-rider today on his way to Ntsikeni. Probably the most climbing on the entire route. There are 2 monster climbs which I would not even think about doing on a ss. Hope he is strong and well again. Will make for interesting 'reality tv'.

My money is on Dirt-rider leaving Allendale and riding with Stephen Kellerman for a while. They've ridden together before and Stephen is well-acquainted with the route and can help with the nav work through the forests if they can manage to ride/walk at the same pace.

Enjoying the tracking this year - so far so good - a system which works!

Well done to Glenn and Meryl - taken the flow of info to the next level and the organisation is by all accounts top class.

Twitter and Facebook seem to be where its happening live this year.

I've tried to explain to meryl how HASHTAGS work with no success for three years now. The amount of time she spends retweeting stuff is insane! I propose #RASA15 this year, been used 4 times already. #fc2015 is something totally different it would seem!

have there been any issues at the stairs again ?

you mean 'die Leer'? looks sorted with a positive comment from the landowners wishing all riders good luck - earlier in the thread

am logging on to FC for real now, might have had my eyes on a little adventure race in swaziland this week (FYI where defending champ Graham Bird just took his Team Merrel Adv Addicts first over the finish line earlier this morning).

I will be doing some race commentary and speculation right here. will probably look at the race for overall victory only - some dark horses,old vets and young bucks all in the mix. going to be exciting.

edit:random question on the new tracker system - looks like it's really slick, but does it only cover the current action? you can't go back and look at yesterday's tracks? does it wipe clean at midnight?

this is me - lets see how good my old knowledge is!http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_h-Tx835tV_g/SI7XEvaxa5I/AAAAAAAABC4/eio3WYvBtws/s1600/IMG_1755.JPG

Looks like DirtRider may sleep out again tonight ...

Him and his fellow bearded buddy...

have there been any issues at the stairs again ?

The Ladder?... sorted. Announced at briefings and landowners messaged to wish contestants well.

Edit: Didn't see Shebeens response. What he said.

Archived