Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

The Osseberg didn't burn to the ground, only the high grass lands, nothing burned in the river section, so I'm not yet taking my plunge and David will still suffer......

med_gallery_11698_1560_132914.png

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Klerksdorp is a perfect place to train for the Freedom, Lekke cold and lekke flat for those long hours in the saddle......

gallery_11698_1560_3733.png

Marnitz, is it true that you're going to put the wheels on your bike for your training for RASA 2015? You're getting soft. ;)

I first need a sponsor before I can put wheels on the bike and start training again......

I got another jongman half my age, very strong and obedient wanting to try the tandem experience.....

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Stetteyns haven't burned yet........

The easy part of Osseberg burned.......

Can I teach you guys some Voortrekker skills to make a fire in the right place ???? :devil: :devil: :devil:

The first of the official Freedom Challenge Info Evenings kicks off in September in Pietermaritzburg, with Johannesburg and Cape Town events to follow in November - all the details at the following link:

http://www.thehubsa....t&event_id=1393

Meet other riders and get all the info and tips you need to help you prepare for your first Freedom Challenge Race across South Africa or Race to Rhodes.

If there are any guys or girls residing in the flat lands of the Freestate, North West or even North Cape that are in need of more info and help with Freedom prep, I am more than willing to help.

Feel free to contact me so that we can make a moerse bomb fire and discuss the issues.

Me, myself and I reside in Klerksdorp, where it's lekke flat and easy to train for the Freedom

I assume the middle of a river or a dry corn field is not the right place .

We need to burn the Devil's very dry washed up thorn trees, in the river and on the banks, to make the 200 year old jeep track vaguely visible again in the Osseberg.

If I go by tandem there would be no need to burn Stetteyns, only option for a tandem is the river, you guys can have all the lovely hakia and protea's for yourself.......

If there are any guys or girls residing in the flat lands of the Freestate, North West or even North Cape that are in need of more info and help with Freedom prep, I am more than willing to help.

Feel free to contact me so that we can make a moerse bomb fire and discuss the issues.

Me, myself and I reside in Klerksdorp, where it's lekke flat and easy to train for the Freedom

I almost finished my routes etc on Google Earth , you wanna look and give me your opinion ?

Just gone through a few pages of this, it's becoming a really good resource for those with ????s.

Might have a clue who the Crazy German is - I was also a maties cycling club member at the time, but the second language was german so it's a shortlist of about 15 guys.

I'm interested in how people are google touring as preparation. It's a good idea but no subsititute for getting on the ground. I think it's a very very good idea for cape town based riders to ride on the trail from mcgregor(or anywhere else close enough for a day trip) and work out how the tools relate to actually navigating once on the bike.

TRUST me on this, the maps and narratives are now very good. If you get lost, don't blame the tools!

Also learn to ride at night. not just a lap course that you know, but nav at night is tough for different reasons. A barometric altimeter is the best bang for buck tool you can get for its weight - but you need to know how to use it and calibrate it often from known points.

For me there will be NO on the ground before the race . I never go to the big shopping centers cause I can never find my car again . Playing around on this Google earth thing will definitely help a lot .............. I think

For me there will be NO on the ground before the race . I never go to the big shopping centers cause I can never find my car again . Playing around on this Google earth thing will definitely help a lot .............. I think

cool. please keep your tracker charged!

I'm sure i've posted these here before, BUT for Gauteng based okes, this is as good as you're going to get for real life nav training. - http://www.orienteering.co.za/event-calendar/mountain-bike-orienteering/

I'm interested in how people are google touring as preparation. It's a good idea but no subsititute for getting on the ground. I think it's a very very good idea for cape town based riders to ride on the trail from mcgregor(or anywhere else close enough for a day trip) and work out how the tools relate to actually navigating once on the bike.

Second this.

KZN chaps also have no reason NOT to get onto the trail. It's very easy to arrange and a worthwhile exercise. You're mostly likely out riding anyway, so make a plan, get your maps and get onto the trail. Hell, if you ask nicely, some of us may give you a guided tour...

Night riding experience is also good advice. As Shebeen says, on an unknown trail. You will be surprised how different the same unfamiliar trail looks between day and night - markers and landmarks simply disappear...

Don't worry I did my first Freedom Challenge riding Google alone, didn't have a pilot license or the luxury of touring the route. Did loose the track a couple a times, but finished 2nd.......

The best option is to tour it, if you don't have the luxury Google it and make sure you know how a map works.

Chances are 54% that you will return, much easier the second time around......

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Might have a clue who the Crazy German is - I was also a maties cycling club member at the time, but the second language was german so it's a shortlist of about 15 guys.

Its no secret neither rocket science

Archived