Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

Hi, 

First let me say that I have no FC experience, but I have travelled (4x4 and / or cycled) most of this section.  

My opinion, if this is a recce ride for you, don't bother too much with the Bucklands to top of Grootrivier poort section, from a navigation point of view.  Its a tough cycle but you cant really get lost.

I do believe your bigger challenge would be to navigate the Osseberg route down to Cambria.  I have only ever did this in a 4x4 and even then you sometimes lose the track, with some looong river crossings, exiting the river 70m + up / down stream from where you entered.  Also the route was very overgrown.  Not sure you should attempt this section alone.

If your time is limited, rather scout the road from Bucklands to top of Grootrivier poort by car and then cycle the 4x4 route to familiarise yourself with it.  

Good luck!

Thanks very much for the advice.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks very much for the advice.

I have done the osseberg in october and totally loved it but its not everyones cup of tea. Do let people know if you venture in, there is very few people going through so if you end up in trouble you could be a while. For a reference I took 4 hours top gate to bottom gate, Jill Horner took about the same during the race. You need to be a bit lucky navigation wise thoug i found quite a lot ridable did take some picture and swimming stops though(included in time) Take Plenty of water and some food there are no refills. There is water at the visitor centre when you get to the main gravel road into Cambria.

I did a loop Patensie gravel roads to Osseberg and gravel road back, I would not advise that its a bloody long ride especially in the heat, my day it was 40 degrees and i took strain. If possible get dropped of or picked up to cut some gravel road time.

Oh and do report back afterwards. I believe its beautifull some nice wildlife, say hi to the monkey skelet at the one but last river crossing and don't take your best kit. It will get stuck on some of the bundu bashin parts.

I do have GPS route going through that can help with navigation. But actually the map is quite good and otherwise you need to have a bit of a bush eye for reed and vegatation clearings.

Oh and the spare ribs in the Patensie Tolbos farmstall are absolutely delicous reward yourself with some after the ride.

...in this heat it's going to be a challenge. I drove past there on Wednesday and the thought of riding it did not appeal.

@Crazy German: Was there a bicycle lying next to that baboon/monkey skeleton? I'm looking for a fork.....

...in this heat it's going to be a challenge. I drove past there on Wednesday and the thought of riding it did not appeal.

@Crazy German: Was there a bicycle lying next to that baboon/monkey skeleton? I'm looking for a fork.....

Nah bike was mine so took it back to get home.

I did it in 40 degrees makes the river crossings lovely but you need lots of fluid

Nah bike was mine so took it back to get home.

I did it in 40 degrees makes the river crossings lovely but you need lots of fluid

Which would explain why you are called the Crazy German? ;) And I know you aren't German...

Which would explain why you are called the Crazy German? ;) And I know you aren't German...

When I set off it was a sensible 10 degrees by the time I got to the gate in 30 in the valley 40 and when I had the chat with the dead Baboon peak off 47. A little breeze and 40 degrees for the spin back to Patensie just a 10 hour round trip must say I was very thirsty.

I was gonna do it the day before at 20 degrees but the bike broke, so I couldn't back down not for some rays of sunshine.

Reminds me of that ski trip in -20 degrees with 70k/h winds minus 40 windchill, poor guy at the lift had to stay out cos I wanted to ski. Waiting for snow at the moment, riding in the rain is not my thing so I am quickly getting unfit.

Hi all I will be in Plett over new year and am considering to try do a recce of the Bucklands Cambria section. Who can I contact to advise, plan or join me on the ride? Looking at the first week of Jan.

Hi

Let me know when you are wanting to ride. I will try get some time off from work and join you.

Osseberg route down to Cambria is the one area I would like to ride again before RASA 

Hi

Let me know when you are wanting to ride. I will try get some time off from work and join you.

Osseberg route down to Cambria is the one area I would like to ride again before RASA 

Looking at the 3,4,5 Jan. Also all depends on family commitments as well.

Please can you send me your cell no so that we can discuss further and work out the logistics.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the 3,4,5 Jan. Also all depends on family commitments as well.

Please can you send me your cell no so that we can discuss further and work out the logistics.

Hi

Sorry but timing is a bit out, and cant get time off work.

Please contact Meryl before you head out to confirm where you can and cant ride, plenty of private property and limited access in most areas plus riding in Baviaans you have to have a back-up vehicle.

Enjoy

• 4 weeks later...

If you haven't already, you may want to start researching your backpack at this stage.

I found it helpful to train with the backpack that I am going to use and slowly build up the weight. I found that the weight in your backpack is directly transferred to your saddle. Building it up slowly, is a bit easier on the butt. Also with a slow bulid up of weight, your joints don't take the pounding they would if you suddenly add 6/7 kgs. (we just carry water in plastic bottles to add weight).

Others have different stratergies!

If you haven't already, you may want to start researching your backpack at this stage.

I found it helpful to train with the backpack that I am going to use and slowly build up the weight. I found that the weight in your backpack is directly transferred to your saddle. Building it up slowly, is a bit easier on the butt. Also with a slow bulid up of weight, your joints don't take the pounding they would if you suddenly add 6/7 kgs. (we just carry water in plastic bottles to add weight).

Others have different stratergies!

For this reason I tried to get my bag as small/ light as possible and carry as much as possible on my bike.

Revelate make a very nice large 'saddle bag' which is expandable. Frame bags and handle bar bags are further options.

For this reason I tried to get my bag as small/ light as possible and carry as much as possible on my bike.

Revelate make a very nice large 'saddle bag' which is expandable. Frame bags and handle bar bags are further options.

That is why I did this 

post-104-0-95474000-1422439049_thumb.jpg

That is why I did this 

Interested to see how the rack holds up.

This is what I was refering to...

post-12909-0-50996900-1422440667_thumb.jpg

This saddle bag seems easier to portage with and less to damage/ have to repair. Such a large frame bag isn't necessary - I got away with two smaller ones.

Archived