Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

We've used Crossmarks/Larsens(26) with Stans and have never had a sidewall cut, or had to pump a tyre for that matter even with the abundance of thorns (see pic). Not the grippiest (or lightest) of tyres, but you chose your poison.

post-6398-0-50008300-1425961426_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The TRUTH !!! Brad van der Westhuizen said those who weren’t there wouldn’t understand.

I have done my fair share of Epic's, but I will most certainly choose the Freedom Challenge every time, it change all of us into a more humble and thankful human being, while enjoying the best race ever.

The soul of mountain biking !!!!

The maps ! Do you fold them A5 size and then flip them around as you go ? Was thinking of cutting them into A5 size and use as a sort of flip-chart ! 

The maps ! Do you fold them A5 size and then flip them around as you go ? Was thinking of cutting them into A5 size and use as a sort of flip-chart ! 

Maps? What maps? Can't we just follow the helicopter?

I know Marnitz does , but I was talking more about us mortals that will not make it to Bisley without a map .

I know Marnitz does , but I was talking more about us mortals that will not make it to Bisley without a map .

I assume you are South African just read some spoor and you will be fine. I recall looking at the map and reading the narative when the old farmer with me said. Thats the other ouw toppies tread. Just make sure you are not the fasted of the pack.

You'll be fine. The lead out vehicle gets you to Bisley. That's the worst part - so much tar and concrete. So you only need to study the maps from Bisley onwards. Easy.

it depends. normal adventure racing you don't really have time to prep the maps on the go, so you fold them. You have loads of time to prepare the maps, so if you can find a way to use them in your map board system like that, then go for it. I did it sort of like that for FC, worked, but not ideal.

my pref now is to have a rotating map board, the ability to fold out a map when you really need some perspective.

I assume you are South African just read some spoor and you will be fine. I recall looking at the map and reading the narative when the old farmer with me said. Thats the other ouw toppies tread. Just make sure you are not the fasted of the pack.

:whistling: Years ago we did a Hanno Otto AR race somewhere in da bush . After many hours cutting spoor Mr Hanno himself jumped out of the bush and his first question was , "We is your map !!! " Well our maps was in the backpack where it should be . We explained to him that we decided it easier to follow the Solomon spore in the sand . Then he told us the story of him giving his old shoes to one of the farm workers a while back while doing the route and that we can expect to walk into a kraal soon 20km off-route !!!! 

:whistling: Years ago we did a Hanno Otto AR race somewhere in da bush . After many hours cutting spoor Mr Hanno himself jumped out of the bush and his first question was , "We is your map !!! " Well our maps was in the backpack where it should be . We explained to him that we decided it easier to follow the Solomon spore in the sand . Then he told us the story of him giving his old shoes to one of the farm workers a while back while doing the route and that we can expect to walk into a kraal soon 20km off-route !!!! 

you know there are loads of not all tyres that start FC make the finish...but I'm pretty sure many of them that get dumped along the way make it onto a dikwiel of sorts. be warned!

This mortal use to use folded A2 maps, with folded A5 narratives as a backup, nowadays I make spoors to confuse nearby challengers........

A rotating map board works the best for us mere mortals.

• Maps first !!!
  • Narratives confusing backup 2nd
  • Very confusing spoor last option......

We will allow you to stick to David that is if he follows the route, I wonder if he might make a mistake in the dark.....

Busy planning the content of my Ice cream tubs . Some lube in each would be nice but I only got one small bottle (samples we get at races) left . So I decided to phone the Squirt people . Long story short they going to send me the 21 little bottles I need and also will send me 21 little tubs with their new chafing balm !!  :clap:  :thumbup:

Archived