Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

Or we can rent a trailer (there's a guy just up my road - I can organise it) similar to this one in the pic. About R150 - R200 per day. Can get a lot of bikes onto that, and the cost shared between everyone will be negligible.

post-22004-0-20710300-1429207662_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or we can rent a trailer (there's a guy just up my road - I can organise it) similar to this one in the pic. About R150 - R200 per day. Can get a lot of bikes onto that, and the cost shared between everyone will be negligible.

Eish - not sure I want my bike rattling around in that scratch cage... :whistling:

I might be able to get a bike trailer.

No, they'd be tied down properly so that all are upright and immobile. I have the tie-downs needed. Trust me, my bike is looked after like family. Anyway, it's an option. Use it, don't use it.

No, they'd be tied down properly so that all are upright and immobile. I have the tie-downs needed. Trust me, my bike is looked after like family. Anyway, it's an option. Use it, don't use it.

Sounds good - at least we can move the bikes around. I don't think vehicles will be too much of a problem to organise.

I've message the race office re dates... waiting on their response.

Sounds good - at least we can move the bikes around. I don't think vehicles will be too much of a problem to organise.

I've message the race office re dates... waiting on their response.

I have a Thule 3 bike rack

Chaps - I've heard back from the race office. We're pretty much free to book any Sat eve at Allandale during May...

Chaps - I've heard back from the race office. We're pretty much free to book any Sat eve at Allandale during May...

:clap:

I'm confirmed, whichever weekend is best for everyone. 

:clap:

I'm confirmed, whichever weekend is best for everyone. 

Awesome - lets see hear from a few other chaps and then narrow it down.

23rd works best for me, but should be able to juggle the others if required

Ryan, how much hiking is involved along this stretch? I've got some old mtb shoes I'm willing to bugger up coz I'm about to get a new pair. But I would like to avoid having to fork out for new hiking/mtb shoes just for this one little trip if possible. Can I get away with std mtb shoes for this one?

Besides that, do I need to bring lights? What else do I need to plan for, e.g. maps (or just go with Garmin)?

How does the fueling system work here - I assume take enough for 2 days on the bike and get well fed by our hosts at the overnight stop...

Ryan, how much hiking is involved along this stretch? I've got some old mtb shoes I'm willing to bugger up coz I'm about to get a new pair. But I would like to avoid having to fork out for new hiking/mtb shoes just for this one little trip if possible. Can I get away with std mtb shoes for this one?

Besides that, do I need to bring lights? What else do I need to plan for, e.g. maps (or just go with Garmin)?

How does the fueling system work here - I assume take enough for 2 days on the bike and get well fed by our hosts at the overnight stop...

On the walking, for a fit rider almost none as long as you don't blow your engine going too fast early. First morning maybe 100m. Some scrambling next to te river100 to 500m depending on yor skills. The river crossing before hella hella if taking the shortcut. Quite some people walk parts of Hella Hella but its definitely rideable they walk because of choice or fatigue. Second day to Centacow, you walk from your bike to the coffeshop, else none.

You get well fed by your hosts. You pass some decent shops on the second day relatively early on(not sure Honey brook I think the place is called)

Very little portaging to speak of. If you plan to walk up Hela Hela than bring some comfy shoes. It's steep and the gradient isn't comfortable in carbon (stiff) soles.

Lights are never a bad idea. For those planning on doing R2R or RASA (or even thinking about it) I'd suggest treating this as such - study the maps, read the narrative and bring them along. What I had in mind was you guys navigate as much as possible. I will just prevent us getting horribly, night-over-in-the-bush, lost...

Bring your snack fuel for Saturday and Sun morning. You will get properly fed at the Waddiloves on Saturday night and Sunday breakfast. We'll get a great lunch at Centacow. I'll find out re lunch at Minerva. We can also buy tuck at Baynesfield and Donnybrook...

Can I get an indication of you is now definately keen? I will then start a group chat re logistics, dates etc... So far I have Tombeej, Monark and GrantC...

Besides that, do I need to bring lights? 

As lord Robert Baden Powell said - 'Be prepared'

Archived