Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tombeej / Ryanpmb

Is the 23rd confirmed?

I'm definitely in, but I guess we need to officially confirm by paying our deposits, etc. with Meryl.

I'm happy to pay for all three of us and then we can settle later. Ryan, what do I need to do - just send Meryl an email with our dates and intended route?

I'm definitely in, but I guess we need to officially confirm by paying our deposits, etc. with Meryl.

I'm happy to pay for all three of us and then we can settle later. Ryan, what do I need to do - just send Meryl an email with our dates and intended route?

Dates and intended route are already confirmed with Meryl. I was hanging in for GrantC's confirmation.

I'll chat to Meryl today and get finances etc sorted. Monark has offered a vehicle and driver to collect us - we can chip in for fuel. 

I'll start a group to discuss further.

Dates and intended route are already confirmed with Meryl. I was hanging in for GrantC's confirmation.

I'll chat to Meryl today and get finances etc sorted. Monark has offered a vehicle and driver to collect us - we can chip in for fuel. 

I'll start a group to discuss further.

:clap:

Does anyone have advice regarding a simple, robust, wired bike computer that accomodates a 29r wheel circumference (i.e. about 2260mm) ?

I bought two Ryder 9 function computers (one to carry as spare)  and they can't be programmed for a wheel circumference over 2199mm.......?

Thanks

You send an email to omnico and tell them about 29ers being the next big thing.

OR

You just put in the size of HALF of the circumference and double the distance it says in your head

OR

(or just put two magnets on the wheel - which you now have).

So I imagine we can expect a nice report from you lot to tell us what that bit looks like now etc ?

So I imagine we can expect a nice report from you lot to tell us what that bit looks like now etc ?

Bottom of Hela Hela is going to be interesting - haven't heard of that many recces being done. May need brushcutter...

You send an email to omnico and tell them about 29ers being the next big thing.

OR

You just put in the size of HALF of the circumference and double the distance it says in your head

OR

(or just put two magnets on the wheel - which you now have).

I was told this was 27.5+ ... 

Firstly, I apologise to Ryder. 

The computer has no way of verifying the setting you make, so if you go back to check your setting, it resets to the default. That had me confused.

Big up to Tim Carver who responded to my email query first thing this morning. 

Good start to the week.

Bottom of Hela Hela is going to be interesting - haven't heard of that many recces being done. May need brushcutter...

What are you waiting for?

After all, we sweep the gravel roads in the Karoo for you guys  ;)

Firstly, I apologise to Ryder. 

The computer has no way of verifying the setting you make, so if you go back to check your setting, it resets to the default. That had me confused.

Big up to Tim Carver who responded to my email query first thing this morning. 

Good start to the week.

I still think my double magnet plan is better.

OK, now it's the turn of the lights...

I bought a Surge Batwing, nice light light, nice gentle light for "deurnagdiens" but after 7 hrs on Low (which is a nice intensity for long hours) the light said bye bye. (battery flat)

Problem is the suppliers imply that it can do 12 hours on low. 4kers!

Advice please comrades ;)

First of all you and Lehana aren't allowed to ride at night, that's why you are limited to 7 hours run time, if you still wish to continue I will allow a candle with some salt to spare.......

Does anyone have advice regarding a simple, robust, wired bike computer that accomodates a 29r wheel circumference (i.e. about 2260mm) ?

I bought two Ryder 9 function computers (one to carry as spare)  and they can't be programmed for a wheel circumference over 2199mm.......?

Get yourself a 26"  :clap: I've got no problem to calibrate my cat eye with my 26" MTB

First of all you and Lehana aren't allowed to ride at night, that's why you are limited to 7 hours run time, if you still wish to continue I will allow a candle with some salt to spare.......

Get yourself a 26"  :clap: I've got no problem to calibrate my cat eye with my 26" MTB

Solved the problem. Took the fork and front wheel off the old GT Palomar and fitted to the SIR. Now computer works a treat and we're head-down on our way to Cape Town. Jinne, Marnitz, why didn't you tell me that sooner?

OK and so now, please explain the hows and whys off the XT clutch derailleur. Why does it no longer want to pick up the slack in the "returning" chain? Not mine, Werner's. 

Archived