Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

What do the rules say about bicycles?

Must you use a MTB?

yup. even if its not in the rules, you won't finish on anything else.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Topic revival.

Looking for outer rain layer. Any suggestions jacket and pants.

Will have a light rain jacket for drizzle and soft rin but will need something for the real stuff. Will have water repellent tight but will need something for the real stuff. Any suggestions for models and brands widely avaialable.

Try Endura

Talking of Endura, this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/endura-stealth-extreme-tights-2013/rp-prod18080was my best piece of FC kit. If the weather is lousy you will not be cold and your bottom half will not be wet. It has a fleece lining which does not pool sweat like normal waterproofs. You can wade through rivers in these and you will still be dry.

Cons: pricey and quite heavy, however if the weather is bad(eg 2012)you will not regeret carrying the extra weight. If you do get one online, note that the sizes are quite small.

I feel like taking Commander Crous 2008 strategy about sending boxes..........

Sending no boxes, the Hyena will eat the spills.....  

I feel like taking Commander Crous 2008 strategy about sending boxes..........

Sending no boxes, the Hyena will eat the spills.....  

My boxes are packed and ready to ship . Do you carry all your booze with you if you don't use the boxes ?

My boxes are packed and ready to ship . Do you carry all your booze with you if you don't use the boxes ?

You use the excess stuff that riders leave behind or you take over a fallen riders boxes......

Every box is then like opening a lucky packet !!!!

:clap: And I thought the picture of the hyena was funny !!!! I will try and leave something in my box for the hyena's when do arrive .

Beware there are some route changes on the RASA

• Map 40 no change on the narratives, only the map was corrected, the old maps still showed the old route entering Grootdam. You can make the correction on your current map.
  • Map 45 & 46 you will need to print new maps and narratives, we are not using the old route through Phillip Henderson's farm any more. Instead we will use the longer old alternative route around the eastern side of Darlington Dam.

We might end up doing 2400 km with the new changes, that is to say if you don't get lost.........

Happy preparations !!!!

PS Someone please print the new maps and narratives for me, I got no boxes.

also pack some Milo bars and Coke, I really enjoy it

• Map 40 no change on the narratives, only the map was corrected, the old maps still showed the old route entering Grootdam. You can make the correction on your current map.
  • Map 45 & 46 you will need to print new maps and narratives, we are not using the old route through Phillip Henderson's farm any more. Instead we will use the longer old alternative route around the eastern side of Darlington Dam.

We might end up doing 2400 km with the new changes, that is to say if you don't get lost.........

Happy preparations !!!!

Topic revival.

Looking for outer rain layer. Any suggestions jacket and pants.

Will have a light rain jacket for drizzle and soft rin but will need something for the real stuff. Will have water repellent tight but will need something for the real stuff. Any suggestions for models and brands widely avaialable.

I was advised to get the Cape Storm jacket and First Ascent pants. Not the lightest but available from Sportsmans Warehouse.

Happy preparations !!!!

I will leave you some yesterdays map at every station so that you can figure out where you got it wrong. And some empty sweet wrapper to sniff :)

Very important Rules !!!

Please take the time to read through them and make sure you understand clearly the 7 ‘Golden Rules’ as any transgression of these could lead to disqualification.
Due to some confusion in the past and misinterpretation of some of these rules, it is necessary to highlight the following for the purpose of clarity:

-    Golden Rule 1: no lifts, if you get into a vehicle, you are automatically disqualified.

-    Golden Rule 2: no outside party may meet you to collect and carry any of your personal equipment along the                                route – only the Race Office may do this if they deem it necessary.

-    Golden Rule 3: no outside support while on the route – this includes friends or family meeting you along the                                  route. If you need any emergency support during the race, your first action is to contact the                                   Race Office so that something can be arranged.

-    Golden Rule 5: No GPS, use only maps, narratives and bike computer. NB - you may only use a non-GPS bike                                computer – you will not be allowed to start with a GPS bike computer on your bike and if                                     you are found with any type of GPS bike computer during the race, you will be                                                    disqualified.

Do not get disqualified !!!!!

I will leave you some yesterdays map at every station so that you can figure out where you got it wrong. And some empty sweet wrapper to sniff :)

The Hyena that don't need any maps will be watching you......

http://www.planetdeadly.com/wp-content/uploads/hyena.jpg

And this ??

15.2. Due particularly to the movement of buffalo and black rhinoceros as well as terrain that may be dangerous at night, certain points on the Freedom Trail may not be accessible at night or in bad weather. The Race Organiser may determine daily cut-off times that apply at points along the race route. Any Challenger reaching a point after the cut-off time will not be allowed to proceed beyond it until the time determined by the Race Organiser.

15.4. Challengers shall be notified of the details of these restricted areas.

And this ??

15.2. Due particularly to the movement of buffalo and black rhinoceros as well as terrain that may be dangerous at night, certain points on the Freedom Trail may not be accessible at night or in bad weather. The Race Organiser may determine daily cut-off times that apply at points along the race route. Any Challenger reaching a point after the cut-off time will not be allowed to proceed beyond it until the time determined by the Race Organiser.

15.4. Challengers shall be notified of the details of these restricted areas.

The Buffalo's and Rhino's roam in Tam Safari's and the Baviaans, I met a few Buffalo's last year in Tam Safari's and on a previous occasion a rhino in the Baviaans - It speak for itself and the safety of the rider, I don't mind rhino's but buffalo's have got a African mind of their own - they are unpredictable bliksems.

Dangerous terrain might include Lehana's pass and Stetteynskoof and maybe Osseberg aswell. Lehana's in serious wind is difficult ask Mike, he got blown over and stuck on the ground for some time, Lehana's in a snowstorm is a sure NO NO !!!!

Lehana's and Stetteyns at night for a newbie would also be a NO NO !!!!

None of us but Graham would like to do Osseberg at night, although I might give it a go this year....... 

Cut off times still apply for Stetteyns, I think the latest that you can enter is 8H00, if you want to proceed later than that you need the permission of the race organiser.

We travel through a lot of game farms, it's hunting season and nobody wants to get shot, it might happen that the farmer has got a active hunting group on the farm while we want to pass and then for your own safety the race organizer will divert you. That might be the reason for the new route to Grootdam and the 20km longer detour around Darlington Dam.

Luckily the detour route will be easier but it might be a bit longer.......  

The race organizer will always carry our best interest at heart and that will be the only reason why he will restrict us.

Due to the nature, the unpredictable weather and the distance covered restricted areas might not be know before hand and might only be communicated when they become know.

That is why you need to inform Meryl by means of a SMS about your whereabouts and what you're planning to do, so that they can make informed decisions about your safety.

They are the one's who need to answer your concerned love one's when they call. 

and you thought it was a tough race on the competitors, try being the race organizer.....

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Archived