Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

Gonna be very cold out there tonight. Dirty still about an hour (plus, depending on headwind?) from a warm bed and food. Tonight's not a night anyone should sleep out ...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna be very cold out there tonight. Dirty still about an hour (plus, depending on headwind?) from a warm bed and food. Tonight's not a night anyone should sleep out ...

... on his way to bucklands. Hope it's not too cold out there - another 2 hours or so - awesome cycling today Dirty!

... on his way to bucklands. Hope it's not too cold out there - another 2 hours or so - awesome cycling today Dirty!

looks like he has just woken up the folk at Bucklands - hot shower and hot food plus a warm bed - well done Pierre

looks like he has just woken up the folk at Bucklands - hot shower and hot food plus a warm bed - well done Pierre

Incredibly it looks like Tim has dragged the other two out of Cambria and is off to Dam se Drif, Dont think he was there too long. Talk about endurance....

Incredibly it looks like Tim has dragged the other two out of Cambria and is off to Dam se Drif, Dont think he was there too long. Talk about endurance....

Tim boxing clever. It's going to be a help into that wind in a group. It will work well for all of them if they stick together. Share the pain :thumbup: . They're into the long dirt road sections for the next few days.

Steve,

two weeks ago already: fire lit, staff prepped, food and wine tested and "ons wag vir Meryl, Glenn en die ryers en hulle families"

not sure they are tracking the race on their mobile devices - but they know its on its way.....

such a nice place in winter - looks a bit different with the gums gone - but they have enough firewood for a couple of years

Tim boxing clever. It's going to be a help into that wind in a group. It will work well for all of them if they stick together. Share the pain :thumbup: . They're into the long dirt road sections for the next few days.

Wonder if the wind has stopped, and rain? The navigation is all but done for 2015, may now be a straight out cold and wettish race for the finish.

(was a possibility of snow last night on top of the Swartberg Pass, that would have been something)

wind at Rondawel(between willowmore and PA) has dropped from yesterday - but still a headwind

Steve,

two weeks ago already: fire lit, staff prepped, food and wine tested and "ons wag vir Meryl, Glenn en die ryers en hulle families"

not sure they are tracking the race on their mobile devices - but they know its on its way.....

such a nice place in winter - looks a bit different with the gums gone - but they have enough firewood for a couple of years

gums are gone - YAY? wow, the dam will  probably be overflowing

referring to this? think they had to go from there to keep the gap open. i expect a ride to willowmore with a similar rest tonight.

Sorry Meryl. T F T In Kudu Kaya 19h00. Leaving for Damsedrif 00h00.

The real important section is willowmore to prince albert, flattest and longest stage of the race - but wind can make it a HC. A paceline there will help loads. can the FT keep up with T's schedule to do it?

Also, AB might actually have the luxury of Beat/Liehan to lean on too. (i sure hid behind AB a lot when i rode it in 2008)http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_h-Tx835tV_g/SKkhGIWdSkI/AAAAAAAABNY/zF2IfOI5wck/s1600/IMG_1876.JPG

RASA 2105 shaping up for a great finish. Tim with a gap on Andrew will have both riders going all out to the finish. The add to the mix is that Theo and Fjord are also now less than 24hrs behind Andrew on time but riding with Tim and TFT team should be working together to get away from Andrew. Theo and Fjord could have a small hope of a second place if they work together with Tim.

This is causing havoc with my work schedule and spending more time glued to the tracking than working.

Why does it seem that the Groot River crossings are being done quicker this year. Maybe the fire last year did improve things.

Nope fire only did small damage to the top part. There where route markers from Jack Black, most taken down by myself and jaques. Some eemed to have marked parts with danger tape aswell. The later where still there as my preferred line in this sections is different. Otherwise I took my bulldozer through there and didn't poot a foot wrong so there is some nice spoor to follow. Reed was relatively open I thought because of Kudu movements but apparently a group of horses came through recently. Its not difficult if you have done it once the map for this section is quite good actually.

wind at Rondawel(between willowmore and PA) has dropped from yesterday - but still a headwind

gums are gone - YAY? wow, the dam will  probably be overflowing

We where pinned down at rondawel worst in a long time apparently but conditions a lot milder now

Hi Maarten

Please move your tracker 100m to the right so that I see that its actually you.

Just kidding! Hope the foot is good and that the trail and challenge is living up to your expectations.

Cheers

Nope fire only did small damage to the top part. There where route markers from Jack Black, most taken down by myself and jaques. Some eemed to have marked parts with danger tape aswell. The later where still there as my preferred line in this sections is different. Otherwise I took my bulldozer through there and didn't poot a foot wrong so there is some nice spoor to follow. Reed was relatively open I thought because of Kudu movements but apparently a group of horses came through recently. Its not difficult if you have done it once the map for this section is quite good actually.

Maarten, are you carrying an injury or just enjoying the hospitality of Dennehof?

Archived