Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

Mike Roy has popped onto the tracking screen. He's had a big pull through Stettyns (went in yesterday morning so 30 plus hours in the kloof). Congrats to him on his tenacity!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Roy has popped onto the tracking screen. He's had a big pull through Stettyns (went in yesterday morning). Congrats to him on his tenacity!

Yay. ... well done Mike. He should make it in time for dinner at Driemersfontein.

Amazing effort.

Great ride by Nic van Zyl today to rejoin Mike at Trouthaven, it must be hard when you know the race dinner has been done and you are the last person on the trail. It seems he has had his fair share of hard luck so far, which probably has just added to his determination.

What happened to Mike ? He was so close !! See on web site he had bike issues and also lost his maps . Also lost my maps and narratives in the first of eleven river crossing . Even though my map reading skills suck I still felt like the situation was hopeless without them . That is why I just headed west on my last day going over mountains , instead of around them . 

"the situation was hopeless"

Its hard to understand why John and Mike did not ride through the night to launch into Stettyns in the daylight and why it took Mike so much time to get through and then pull out or why John pulled out at Trouthaven. While I have the greatest respect for their efforts, I think the point needs to be made that this is just how tough this event can be. At times it defies logic and reason when looking at decisions people make.

But I think its because the majority of our daily lives most of us very seldom get to this point of  "the situation was hopeless", and the relentless trial of the Freedom Challenge can do that. It generally 'breaks' in a place that has no cellphone reception and no gps - so you are literally on your own and in that depleted and battered state a decision is made.

The point of the this post is that it can be a very 'dark' lonely place to gets a grown person to make that decision - its hard to fathom now, but in that moment it makes sense to them. The one comfort I had was in a note I was given before I left, the speech popularised by Rooseveldt, "the man in the arena". The comfort here is that these guys had the courage to even begin the journey, knowing that it may end in failure.

So with the greatest respect to those who did not finish this year - starting out was a big call and persevering as far as you did was something you cannot buy, I am sure in time to come as you reflect, you will know that the experience was worthwhile - certainly one you will never ever forget.

Shebeen,

Who was awarded the stone saddle?

*guess its an 'award' and not a win

Shebeen,

Who was awarded the stone saddle?

*guess its an 'award' and not a win

now you're asking questions of my memory.

ah, there were some honorable mentions

most notably Stu Brew and Johann Rissik.

but it went to 2 of the 3 Wally's (I'm not sure which exactly, and for the exact reason).

AND there's another new route with a first ascent today - marnitz and ivorCI6YK_7UYAA-RNC.png

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PcOMn2KTnUI/U8tbeSzdtHI/AAAAAAAAY3g/AX45YZVhsBM/s1600/DSC06642.jpg

We went up on the right of the waterfall.....

What happened to Mike ? He was so close !! See on web site he had bike issues and also lost his maps . Also lost my maps and narratives in the first of eleven river crossing . Even though my map reading skills suck I still felt like the situation was hopeless without them . That is why I just headed west on my last day going over mountains , instead of around them . 

jeezes if you get lost in Osseber the soluiton is simple swim flot down the river

now you're asking questions of my memory.

ah, there were some honorable mentions

most notably Stu Brew and Johann Rissik.

but it went to 2 of the 3 Wally's (I'm not sure which exactly, and for the exact reason).

It went TO Alan Haupt from the Wally's and Gary Preston(not a Wally) These guys ovecame Freedom Challenge although they both have severe disabilities making it a lot harder then for us. Stu Brew got a honorable mention for sticking with Gary through stettyns and only coming in at 2h30 in the morning as it was very Hard for Gary. Some other honorable mentions as well.

It went TO Alan Haupt from the Wally's and Gary Preston(not a Wally) These guys ovecame Freedom Challenge although they both have severe disabilities making it a lot harder then for us. Stu Brew got a honorable mention for sticking with Gary through stettyns and only coming in at 2h30 in the morning as it was very Hard for Gary. Some other honorable mentions as well.

thanks for confirming that, Stu related a similar story to me about Gary's trip through Stettyns, it sounds like these guys were pretty determined and resolute - the type of guys you want to share a beer with around a fire and just shut up and listen

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PcOMn2KTnUI/U8tbeSzdtHI/AAAAAAAAY3g/AX45YZVhsBM/s1600/DSC06642.jpg

We went up on the right of the waterfall.....

Was it any quicker than going up the kloof Marnitz?

Marnitz and Ivor went for a swim and still got in very early. Not got all the data yet(Meryl if you read this please give us the last version of Progress sheet)

But I think they had the quickest time although Theo was very quick as well. On the normal route that monster fatbike got through quite fast as well.

Slowest out of competition Mike Roy, Then Tim James(who did it in the dark) And then Gary and Stu(for higher mentionned reasons(hats of for both off them)

Kulula gave me a fly by yesterday to the Kloof didn't spot the last two poor souls in there though.

What happens on tour stays on tour...well almost. Part of our strategy was to arrive at Trouthaven well-rested for Stettyns. Due to language problems, some over-did the resting bit....in McGregor

post-7427-0-93923600-1436256054_thumb.jpg

The Crazy German kept us on track and entertained. Thanks Maarten!

Well it was for sure quicker than hacking through the hakia, easier I don't think, it's a near vertical climb and we got cliff ed out twice where we had luck on our side and got a very steep gap to go through.

I would say the first 300m is very steep and then it flattens a bit, but well worth the effort while watching the others hacking their way through the hakia.

Theo's way could be faster if I knew the route, but you can get lost very easy on the way up to the jeep track, not as steep as our route but higher cliffs to manage and its a long way to the flatter part.

All three remains severely tough it's just a case of what brings the most fear to you........

Marnitz and Ivor went for a swim and still got in very early. Not got all the data yet(Meryl if you read this please give us the last version of Progress sheet)

But I think they had the quickest time although Theo was very quick as well. On the normal route that monster fatbike got through quite fast as well.

Slowest out of competition Mike Roy, Then Tim James(who did it in the dark) And then Gary and Stu(for higher mentionned reasons(hats of for both off them)

Kulula gave me a fly by yesterday to the Kloof didn't spot the last two poor souls in there though.

So Meryl put a more complete file online:

Stettyns ranking(fatigue and weather not the same for all

Marnitz and Ivor(waterfall right hand side assuming 6h00 start) 8H55

Theo 10H

The crazy german(went low got stuck at waterfall hiked up the side stream to high line on right hand side from there on) 10H35

Beat And Liehann with Andrew Hunt(went high right early on) 10h50

Anton en Gert(first guys to tackle the kloof this year) (went high right early on) 11h15

seem to be quite some around the 12H mark

I don't think these optionall lines are much faster(they are flippin cool though). I had never been in the kloof and got stuck big time at waterfall/Plane wreck sticking low too long. And from there on waited a bit for the Talbots and had like 3 picknicks as well. IMO with what I know know a 9H30 with just bash through the **** in the kloof should definitely be achievable.

Archived