[Event] Chris Willemse Cycles Durbie Dash

CWC Online

Moan moan moan....

I didn't get a medal... my medal collection will never be the same again. Shame.

I can't ride a 54km mtb funride without 20 water points along the way.

The PPA marshall cost me a top 5 finish. How am I going to impress my mates at the next coffee ride?

WTF?

I would actually like to moan about the wind, it sucked. Can't the organisers get that right even? My legs felt like stale bread. The A-B bunch didn't wait for me after I got dropped in the gutter. I'm going to have to mail the organisers about that too. Oh wait, i'm actually just pretty k@k.

On Sunday I rode 70km's in the Bottelary Hills and nobody put a water table out for me. Never going back there again!

You are being childish. This was a RACE, yes sir a RACE. Where people pay a entry fee to compete against each other. If I pay my race entry, one expects certain things to be up to standard. Route markings and waterpoints are top of that list. There were no sweeper vehicles on the road, and I saw cyclist with flat tyres or broken chains having to push their bikes 20+ kms.  And then getting to waterpoints to find no water or help.

As for the medals, the pieces of *** bottle opener things that are in every thrashcan across the Western Cape this morning, should have been left alltogether. They could have donated that money towards the funds raised. But no, any oppurtunity to put a CWC name on something wont be missed, no sir. 

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was a RACE, yes sir a RACE.

Dude, get over yourself....

You obviously must've been in contention for the podium and missed out after you had to stop for water on a 54km mtb race. Unlucky.

Or maybe not.

I chose not to do the mountainbike race as I did not see the value in spending R200  to ride in local trails for which I already have a membership.  I am happy to spend money on MTB races if I am going to get to ride in areas not normally accessable. 

Maybe you should take up road then?  :P  Im obviously P@#%ng you off, but hey, ease up! Luckily there was waterpoints... Send them your details then you can help them do it better next year... They can obviously learn from you.

Not at all, just trying to understand your logic and rant. 

I can't do it better, that's why I ride, and not organize.

We pay people to organize.

If they can't organize, why did we pay?

Would have felt better about this if race was clearly advertised as a fundraiser (instead of only finding out through this thread, post race), but no, it was a junket and for that reason it felt flat in terms of atmosphere. 

I can understand if you are racing for the podium and you were the only one sent the wrong way, but most of us wouldn't be able to identify the winners in a crowd, so for most us it isn't a race but a meander at speed against people of a roughly equal ability.

Also, there is a difference between sponsorship and organisation. It didn't feel as vibey as previous years though. I would like to compliment the school rock band who were merrily destroying 'Smells like teen spirit' when I wondered past. Made me smile for quite a while... Sometimes it is good to enjoy things that aren't perfect.

Why feel sorry for a race organizer who can't organize the event? 

The MTB group were led out on the Road route, the water-points were not where they were promised to be, now you tell us we are ungrateful?

Definitely, Karma...

To add:

I don't give a demmit about medals and bottle openers

The availability of water supplies and other matters related to water points is a critical safety issues.

Serious negligence from the race organisers.

Also, if CWC co-sponsors the event alongside DHS and whoever else, every stakeholder is responsible for what happened on the day. They may not be directly accountable if, say, water supplies didn't arrive when it should have.

No one is exempt.

If you wanna engage the public and the average amateur fietsryer out there, c'mon, raise your game, take relevant feedback on the chin and improve.

[i wasn't there as I was away with work, but I am a vocal local...  :huh: ]

Dude, get over yourself....

You obviously must've been in contention for the podium and missed out after you had to stop for water on a 54km mtb race. Unlucky.

Or maybe not.

Maybe if you read all the posts instead of coming here with your useless banter, you would have seen I did the road race. 

Surely you can't blame riders for following a PPA marshal on a motorbike at the start of the race. Will you ignore a marshal unless he is on a vehicle specified on a website? Are you assuming that all entrants studied this thread in detail before entering?

Sounds like an honest mix-up to me that could have happened anywhere, a bit insulting of you to blame the riders tbh...

......the riders were briefed as well.  That however doesn't imply that the marshal on the motorbike was not at fault.  I am in full agreement with you that it sounds like an honest mix-up that could have happened anywhere.      

I just tried to enter the Burger/Stellenboschcycletour Road race. R330,and no charity I could see... Perspective. Amended.

I feel sorry for this (or any) race organizer. If I got all this flack after trying my best I would surely not try again. People are bloody ungrateful, if you don't like the price, don't pay it. no one can get it 100% right! I would like to say that if YOU can do it better maybe give it a shot. How do you satisfy people if they have a faceless voice on the internet? I don't think half of the complaints would have been addressed in person.

I am also not happy with everything but I made the best of it. Damn cyclists are difficult to please!

im actually part of the other half who did address it in person on the day (see my earlier posts)

I have done this race the previous 4 years, and it always was a blast, good vibe at the start, a "goodie bag" of some sorts, enjoyable route, again lekka vibe at the finish, and as far as I can recall, no problems with route markings, water tables, etc.

SO WHAT WENT WRONG THIS YEAR!!??

And for that "below par" performance by the org's, the people that did participate had to pay R100.00 more than last year!?

That, my dear fellow hubbers, is where this whole event fell flat.

As we say in Afrikaans: "Tussen die hand en die mond, val die pap op die grond"

Maybe if you read all the posts instead of coming here with your useless banter, you would have seen I did the road race. 

Even less reason to come on here and moan about the fact that you didn't get a medal.

Johny Bravo? More "Jannie Jammergat" if you ask me...

Even less reason to come on here and moan about the fact that you didn't get a medal.

round 2... FIGHT!! :ph34r:

Aai  man, I never ever once complained about a medal.  As jy wil baklei, gaan soek n ander maatjie. Eks mooi groot.

I have done this race the previous 4 years, and it always was a blast, good vibe at the start, a "goodie bag" of some sorts, enjoyable route, again lekka vibe at the finish, and as far as I can recall, no problems with route markings, water tables, etc.

SO WHAT WENT WRONG THIS YEAR!!??

And for that "below par" performance by the org's, the people that did participate had to pay R100.00 more than last year!?

That, my dear fellow hubbers, is where this whole event fell flat.

As we say in Afrikaans: "Tussen die hand en die mond, val die pap op die grond"

I did 5 of these before.

This year, my experience was that the organisations were freaken shocking.

The mtb race got send the wrong way 100m after the start.

People were coming down the downhill track at contermans. There were NO trail markers at Conties.

Did the Olives buffet yesterday. NOW THAT IS A NICE RACE. 

rant off

Archived