Chain cleaner!

Sepia

Should one dilute the paraffin or not?

i never do

Paraffin tends to leave an oily type residue whereas terps does not.

Terps also dries much quicker.

yip...but not too troublesome for the chain in my experience

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just check that it is ammonia free - don't think your chain will take kindly to ammonia.

I use terps in container that I can shake with the chain in. I re-use the same terps as the dirt settles in a day or so and the clean terps can be decanted.

That way, i've used the same 400ml for over 6months now!! (Only diesel instead of turps)

Similar method as above, put paraffin into bottle, dilute with hot water, drop chain in, shake and rinse chain off?

afaik...parafin & water don't mix (aslo terps and water don't mix) ...

use undiluted!

Will paraffin mix with water? Isn't it petroleum based and hydrophobic?

Use it 'undiluted'

I use paraffin with a chain cleaning tool, the one that fits over the chain and you put the paraffin in close and turn the crank, works fine for me, used to use clean green before but find this works better

• 3 weeks later...

Once I have soaked in paraffin for a while do I rinse the chain off with water and scrub as much as possible or what?

Once I have soaked in paraffin for a while do I rinse the chain off with water and scrub as much as possible or what?

I don't because the chain is supposed to be clean when finished, then I just let it dry and add some lube.

Edited by BENG

I throw my chain into a bottle with some prepsol diluted in warm water, shake it around and rinse afterwards. Works well, it's easy to dispose of and economical.

I throw my chain into a bottle with some prepsol diluted in warm water, shake it around and rinse afterwards. Works well, it's easy to dispose of and economical.

Same here, works well!

ive been using benzine cleans it up nicely and in a few seconds its dry and ready for lube

The problem with unleaded petrol is ethical disposal. You cannot throw it out anywhere.

Throw it on the noisy neighbours lawn :ph34r: :whistling:

Is prepsol engine degreaser?