So, your Garmin is most accurate for Strava hey?

FlandersZA

so translation to plane eengliisshh, its ok, if the map shows you are underground, unless of course you ate some ground buying a plot, cause then technically you were underground,

1. barometric pressure helps with vertical accuracy

2. Even with that - vertical error is going to happen to anything from 20 -50m

Survey GPS have the same issue, so if you need the Z (vertical) to be accurate then you differentially correct the results. Which is a process of comparing your GPS results with those of a GPS unit that is at a known x,y, and z that uses the exact positions to correct what the satellites are saying and then applying those factors to your results...comprende?

Edited by Stretch

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. barometric pressure helps with vertical accuracy

2. Even with that - vertical error is going to happen to anything from 20 -50m

Survey GPS have the same issue, so if you need the Z (vertical) to be accurate then you differentially correct the results. Which is a process of comparing your GPS results with those of a GPS unit that is at a known x,y, and z that uses the exact positions to correct what the satellites are saying and then applying those factors to your results...comprende?

Sort of. ;) My riding partner will have to wait at the trig beacon for me to catch up so we can have accurate beer fights about how high *cough cough* we got ? :whistling:

After 5 hours by garmin is 1500% more accurate than my iphone because my iphone battery has long since died.

I would love to know how you calculated that percentage :whistling:

Sort of. ;) My riding partner will have to wait at the trig beacon for me to catch up so we can have accurate beer fights about how high *cough cough* we got ? :whistling:

Ride 100M up a steep hill, horizontally (I.e. looking from the top down, :-) ) it may only look like you moved 10m across but you actually traveled 100m (with maybe 90m elevation gain)

imagine if the chaos and the apps we would not have if the US was still scrambling their satellites like they used to prevent the Russians from using them for locations. I think they stopped doing that round about 1998/99

Guest Smimby

Ride 100M up a steep hill, horizontally (I.e. looking from the top down, :-) ) it may only look like you moved 10m across but you actually traveled 100m (with maybe 90m elevation gain)

Garmin does calculate this, so it will show 100m, but they dont use it in altitude calculations.

I would love to know how you calculated that percentage :whistling:

I am an auditor, I can make magic happen in excel!

imagine if the chaos and the apps we would not have if the US was still scrambling their satellites like they used to prevent the Russians from using them for locations. I think they stopped doing that round about 1998/99

i remember when the GPS unit we had was like the size of a laptop and weighed a flipping ton. And it got you within 30-40 m of where you more or less had to be.

Now the things take you just about to the exact spot !

Reading all this makes me so glad I'm not a techno geek, to be honest I don't understand most of it and don't really want to.

My Garmin tells me what I need to know, I couldn't care less if it's out by 10 metres, or 100 metres for that matter. I just go ride and enjoy myself, even if the trip is a km longer or shorter than NASA would calculate.

Fair point about going out and enjoying yourself. As for the rest though, what’s the point of having a GPS? Surely if you’re going to fork out for one it should be feeding you accurate info? As per my OP, I have discovered that under certain circumstances mine isn’t. But the helpful folks here on the Hub are helping me to iron out those kinks.

for those interested in a bryton's view on life

post-7169-0-58076700-1406015233_thumb.jpg

Nice! Although now that I have learned that my GPS is more capable than I had realised, I will test file size with a shorter ride this week, fine tune and then report back with my Sat ride. Hopefully I kan laaik to hav lekka kurves as well!

Surely if you’re going to fork out for one it should be feeding you accurate info? As per my OP, I have discovered that under certain circumstances mine isn’t.

Accurate info for what it was intended for.

I cant remember, what was the yellow brick intended for again?

post-4352-1406043733,5067.jpg

I use it for cycling, hiking and sea kayaking. When I use it for cycling I have it in my back pack and use it to upload rides to strava. For hiking I've used it as a handheld device and it tells me direction and distance to waypoints. Similar story with the fishing ski but on the sea it's in compass mode and tells me distance to waypoints too. Handy little device that.

Edited by FlandersZA

you better let nasa know that their GPS satellites can calculate elevation...

theres a reason your bike computer has a barometer in it

Of course satellites can calculate elevation. And pretty accurately as well. We just don't get the good stuff for our commercial use.

A barometer gives much better accuracy with a much better granularity, for example short, sharp drops or climbs, like when you get a drop off.

Of course satellites can calculate elevation. And pretty accurately as well. We just don't get the good stuff for our commercial use.

A barometer gives much better accuracy with a much better granularity, for example short, sharp drops or climbs, like when you get a drop off.

Source?

Except for topographical mapping there's no way the satellite can know your height asl

My Edge can't even find the g-spot!

Because your in the North and the G Spot is the name of a trail in Stellenbosch

*clears throat*