Road bike weight

'hamster

Well that sucks..

Are you allowed to talk to a random stranger during a race?

Of course you can!!

Like in....

Stop being a wielparasiet jou @#%^

But that's about it.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another rumour that wont go away

Wheels account for almost 10% of the total power required to race your bike and the dominant factor in wheel performance is aerodynamics.

Wheel mass is a second order effect (nearly 10 times less significant) and wheel inertia is a third order effect (nearly 100 times less significant).

You can only state this once rolling resistance, elevation and speed has been factored in. It's one big, fat variable.

Talking about drag/sitting slip/sucking wheel etc ..... hope to see you on Sunday Underachiever :ph34r: :ph34r:

Talking about drag/sitting slip/sucking wheel etc ..... hope to see you on Sunday Underachiever :ph34r: :ph34r:

im on a island, sipping rum :ph34r: :devil: :devil:

http://www.biketechreview.com/archive/images/img11.gif

Dude, thos figures of a 50% reduction in drag coefficient are huge.

Also - at what speed were these tests carried out?

Dude, thos figures of a 50% reduction in drag coefficient are huge.

Also - at what speed were these tests carried out?

Not sure, there's links to all the data. You'll be surprised what a 50mm wheel does on a roadbike.

I was wondering if you noticed :-). Nope, been away too many weekends, so I'm going to church for a change.

Just BTW,

Go and do a few intervals, from say 20 kph up to 45 kph, and experiment with light vs heavy, aero vs a brick. I'll take the lighter bike....any time of day.

Edited by Underachiever

im on a island, sipping rum :ph34r: :devil: :devil:

Life of the rich and famous while us plebs are keeping the country running

Not sure, there's links to all the data. You'll be surprised what a 50mm wheel does on a roadbike.

After a certain speed, yeah. I remember distinctly from when I upgraded the tank to a full carbon jobbie ages ago. But then the major benefit was the weight - accelerated so much faster and smoother, went up hills easier, and I was able to maintain speed more easily. It was a combination of weight and aero. But the aero only came in at certain speeds...

Far more important is the aero capability of the rider themselves though.

I was wondering if you noticed :-). Nope, been away to many weekends, so I'm going to church for a change.

Just BTW,

Go and do a few intervals, from say 20 kph up to 45 kph, and experiment with light vs heavy, aero vs a brick. I'll take the lighter bike....any time of day.

Gonna miss you! I've got light wheels and I have aero wheels. Aero for me every time.

Gonna miss you! I've got light wheels and I have aero wheels. Aero for me every time.

Plus they look so so cool