Trail running shoes

Heel Drop

On the note of cushioning, minimal, pronation etc. this guy seems to have a good understanding of what's going on. It's quite an interesting (and lengthy read) - and the rest of his wiki as well!

BTW, Koei, where did you find Mantras around here?

Outpost Running stock them online. I may have a 10% discount laying around somewhere.

Runner's Rest, Outdoor Escape (both in Stellenbosch) and Somerset Sport generally like to keep old stock - they shoul'd have the old - meaning the one's that were still meant for trail - Mantras. The new ones are more road focussed. Even more reason to stick to the Pro's  :thumbup:

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forefoot running is also the most sensible way to run trails. Running on your forefoot just give you so much more stability when you need it most, on uneven surfaces.

Couldn't agree more! Since I started running lower drop / forefoot I set more Strava RecordsTM on descents...  :ph34r: The control feels amazing.

Pieter, I can't wait... sitting with a slight Achilles niggle and suspect it is (contrary to popular belief!) from running in shoes with too much drop. And not biomechanically (I know that "should be better" on the Achilles), I suspect the heels are irritating my Achilles - not chafing, just pressing. 

One of the tests they made us do at a barefoot workshop was to do a barefoot squat and when in the crunch position, your heels (and toes) had to be flat on the ground. This indicate a normal Achilles as compared to shortened where you forced to raise your heels in a squat. Wearing heeled shoes for many years shorten the Achilles resulting in the above and stretching is required to lengthen it again.

I have very flat and wide feet. My footprints look like the yeti was on the beach.

I run with Inov8 Trailroc 255, best fit and comfort I`ve ever had - from day one.

Bought direct from www.inov-8store.co.za 

Running shoe advice is probably one of those subjects where one has to take all comments with a pinch of salt. We are all different and what suits one could be disastrous for another.

When the OP asked what is the difference between "minimalist and normal running" I immediately wanted to chip in and say stay clear of barefoot running shoes until you know what its all about. But ... having said that if you starting it's probably the bast place to start if you become familiar with the basic requirements.

My running story is also a long one, so won't bore you with the details, but as a heavy pronator, I also ran in heavy plodders for years and picked up my unfair share of injuries. Went to a barefoot workshop once and it all made sense.

Today I only run in Vivo barefoot shoes. Have changed all my shoes to flat NO HEEL RAISE footwear (even my hiking boots) to make sure I stretch my Achilles and prevent shortening problems. In my transition to Vivo, my calves were way to lazy and weak, so had to take it very easy and start slow with short runs only.

Today I am really enjoying my running, consciously working on my form. In a nutshell it boils down to -

Run upright (don't chase your head)

Leg circles behind not in front

Strike beneath your body not in front

Run a high cadence - 170 to 190s/m (I just about manage 17)

Long story short - Listen to advice, do your research and make a decision. AND START SLOW.

To add to this, go watch the videos on Vivo's website. I am also now constantly in Vivo's from my work shoes to runing shoes. I dont know what my runing style is or whatever but since I have been using their shoes I have no knee/back issues. And I dig how you can feel what is going on under your feet.

Do you guys know about the Vivo store in the Business Park in Diepriver? Picked up plenty specials there on there end of runs.

And Stuart is a nice guy to deal with, including very knowledgeable as you would expect. He's a hardcore trail runner himself.

I expect that is the store for NativeSport web store, then, I presume. Chatted to a Stuart when I placed my order with them - really cool guy. 

I expect that is the store for NativeSport web store, then, I presume. Chatted to a Stuart when I placed my order with them - really cool guy.

I'm telling you, I have yet to do business with a better online store. I'd rather shop there than at an actuall store.

I'm telling you, I have yet to do business with a better online store. I'd rather shop there than at an actuall store.

They had a 'Quark' moonbag/fannypack whatever for R150 (on special with shipping). I emailed a couple of questions through and Stuart was quick to respond. Bought the product so I can go running without having to use my cycling shirts to keep my phone in!

They had a 'Quark' moonbag/fannypack whatever for R150 (on special with shipping). I emailed a couple of questions through and Stuart was quick to respond. Bought the product so I can go running without having to use my cycling shirts to keep my phone in!

I also got one, the one with a bottle option. Works lekker on short runs.

I also got one, the one with a bottle option. Works lekker on short runs.

My nearest shop (sportsmans) where I could buy something like this is 55km away so it was a great bargain for me!

My nearest shop (sportsmans) where I could buy something like this is 55km away so it was a great bargain for me!

And it was just delivered, not bad seeing how I placed my order just after 1pm on Monday and I live quite far from a large town.

What are peoples experiences with Vivobarefoot sizing?

Lots of the reviews of Vivobarefoot shoes on Amazon mention you should order one size up from your normal shoe size as they typically run a bit small?

True?

Edited by Skylark

What are peoples experiences with Vivobarefoot sizing?

Lots of the reviews of Vivobarefoot shoes on Amazon mention you should order one size up from your normal shoe size as they typically run a bit small?

True?

For me they fit as my normal shoes would, however I did follow the same advice and don't find it an issue. On the same note my addidas that are of my regular size hurt my toes. I would order a size up.

Have a look at http://www.runnersworld.com/.

Google (either your old shoes or wanted-new shoes) + "runnersworld". They should have a see how it fits button near the bottom.

http://d2nzezaqmc2hne.cloudfront.net/sizeGuideStatic/242_a5678cb6/images/entryPoints/default-over-20111207.png

I found this to be fairly accurate and quite handy for ordering shoes online - if you really can't fit it in-store.