Heel Drop

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My new racing / training pair  :clap:

http://i.imgur.com/alJDHrC.jpg

Trying to give my forefoot some more attention this season.

Sorry for the blurry photo.

Cool looking shoes. Only ever heard good things about Saucony.

Cool looking shoes. Only ever heard good things about Saucony.

Those are Salomons  :ph34r:

I used kanadias for many km, but my little toe chew through the side of each pair. Feet guy said my feet are to wide and I must use asics. Worst shoes. Went through 2 pair in six months. One day the guy at my local sport shop introduced me to Mizuno. They are the best trail shoes I ever used. I have 3 pairs of the wave ascent 8 at the moment. The oldest pair have done about 800km and still look like new shoes

Edited by Breezer

I used kanadias for many km, but my little toe chew through the side of each pair. Feet guy said my feet are to wide and I must use asics. Worst shoes. Went through 2 pair in six months. One day the guy at my local sport shop introduced me to Mizuno. They are the best trail shoes I ever used. I have 3 pairs of the wave ascent 8 at the moment. The oldest pair have done about 800km and still look like new shoes

I've never given Mizuno a thought - mostly because I don't see them in a lot of shops. I think Sportmans Warehouse stock them but buying shoes from them is like buying a bike from...well Sportmans Warehouse.

I never had problems with my Asics, except for the bit where the running pain became too much due to mileage wear - and that was just before the 700km mark. That said, they were entry level shoes. I've tried other models instore and they all fit well - actually the best fitting shoes I've tried.

But in terms of terrain, purpose, weight, durability, gait, drop, fit and looks (yes I know) - Salomons have the best to offer for me... till I find something better.

Edited by Koei

My new racing / training pair  :clap:

http://i.imgur.com/alJDHrC.jpg

Trying to give my forefoot some more attention this season.

Sorry for the blurry photo.

Koei, is that the Sense Pro? I had a pair (blue) in my hands the other day and looks like a kick-azz shoe. Would love some feedback! The other thing I'm considering is the Peregrine, but the tread is about as aggressive as the Speedcross...

Koei, is that the Sense Pro? I had a pair (blue) in my hands the other day and looks like a kick-azz shoe. Would love some feedback! The other thing I'm considering is the Peregrine, but the tread is about as aggressive as the Speedcross...

Sense Pro yes :D I'll give some proper feedback after the the Cape Winter Trail Series.

I only got some 5 km of trail in these shoes before the dark and rain came. First impression was pretty good.

In short:

• Light and fast (ideal for racing / training)
  • Tread perfect for SA - hard packed and rocky surfaces. The Speedcross - although very popular in SA - is more meant towards wetter terrain.
  • 6mm H2T drop
  • In true Salomon fashion, it has some lekker cushioning, even for a light-ish, minimalist-ish shoe

My only neg is that they are stiff. I compared them to my brother's Kinvaras and Peregrines - both have a lot more flexibility. Even my burly Salomon Ultra X's have more flexibility. But I guess hope they'll break in a bit over time.

If you start to get more serious with trail running I'd definitely recommend these (or the Sense Mantra).

Vivobarefoot Freak! Klaargepraat!

Hey, daar's maar min kilo's op daai vivo's van jou - hoe kan jy al klaar gepraat wees? Of is jy moeg?!  :whistling:  :ph34r:

PS - but those trailfreaks of dee does seem like an awesome shoe as well...

Edited by SeaBee

• 3 weeks later...

Justr bit the bullit and ordered my TrailFreaks as well. Talk about giving the forefoot some attention!

At least the medics will be able to spot the shoes!  :w00t:  Camouflage is not quite the word to describe the colour...

Justr bit the bullit and ordered my TrailFreaks as well. Talk about giving the forefoot some attention!

At least the medics will be able to spot the shoes! :w00t: Camouflage is not quite the word to describe the colour...

Just a word of warning. Once you go vivo you never go back. Almost half the shoes I own from casual to running are now vivo...

I will replace my shoes soon, shortlist is:

NB Leadville 1210

Brooks Cascadia 10

Asics Fuji Attack 4