Trail running shoes

Heel Drop

My experience is other way around than ordering one number up. I ordered (having fitted a friend's) my "everyday shoe" number - 43. My other trail (well, road running as well) shoes are 44/45. Think the Vivo design leaves that room in front which you want. Most other 43 running shoes are too tight for me - with the exception of the pair of NB 1080's I had. (But they are quite a wide design as well.)

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are peoples experiences with Vivobarefoot sizing?

Lots of the reviews of Vivobarefoot shoes on Amazon mention you should order one size up from your normal shoe size as they typically run a bit small?

True?

My experience is also half a size bigger. I have wide feet, and ordered to size, and the result was a nice roomy toe box, so I would also say that you order to size. I personally like the "finger width" space in front of my big toe.

If this is any indication, I wear a 42.5 Fivefinger (which is obviously a perfect fit), and ordered the 43 Vivo Trail Freaks. Fits perfectly.

Edited by dee_biker

So just to confirm.

I wear Uk9 with all the shoes I own, only sometimes have a few issues with the width of my right foot on which I broke my big toe and have quite a bump there. Usually with time the shoes stretch to accommodate the extra width, a bit uncomfortable initially and after a few weeks perfect.

So that being said with Vivibarefoot can I confidently order a pair in Uk9 and have it fit nicely?

Seems their shoes have better accommodation for toes, ie wider where it matters and are true to length?

Edited by Skylark

I normally wear a 11 UK, but in Vivo, I absolutely love the BIG toe area and comfortably buy their 47EU (which I think is a 13UK?). If I take the 46EU, I find the length of the shoe too short. Agree with dee_biker, I too like the finger space in front of my toes especially for running.

Vivo shoes generally snug around the heel area and are made to allow for forefoot space.

This is my option and I have like ... 10 pairs? Running, hiking, semi-formal. Only shoes I wear nowadays.

Skylark, you can't go wrong with "1 size up". Even if it is not 100% perfect, it should at worse be serviceable and you can always reconsider before ordering again. Maybe buy one of the specials and take it from there.

See you are in the Western Cape. But ... that could be anywhere.

The Vivo shop / Native Sport outlet is in the Diepriver Business Park. You can always pop in there yourself and fit them first hand.

Try this contact number and chat to them - 0828513065 or mail Stuart at stuart@vivobarefoot.co.za

Don't know if this will help but thats how my foot looks. Size 11. There is a thumb space in the toe area of the mountain jogging shoes and then an index finger with the work shoes which are a vivo 11 or 45.

post-25481-0-31762200-1446753706_thumb.jpg

post-25481-0-23054700-1446753746_thumb.jpg

post-25481-0-06005300-1446753785_thumb.jpg

post-25481-0-57627500-1446753816_thumb.jpg

post-25481-0-31894500-1446753848_thumb.jpg

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the help guys, ordering a pair and seeing how it goes is probably going to be the answer.

With the Vivobarefoot off road shoes how are you finding the lugs are holding up, on some versions they seem to have a tendency to tear off?

Edited by Skylark

I prefer these for my trail running. Every now and then you have to get off and push over a rocky section, or get back on the trail after running out of talent. I find the grip on these to be sufficient for these running activities.

http://fiveten.com/images/jreviews/13874_5026-impact-teamblack-01-web-1361556996.jpg

The other shoes on this thread look a bit light, I'd be interested to see how the guys here manage their pedal pins in such thin soles. Haven't seen any SPDs on the thread though which means everyone here rides flats - FTW....

Thanks for the help guys, ordering a pair and seeing how it goes is probably going to be the answer.

With the Vivobarefoot trail shoes for muddier conditions how are you finding the lugs are holding up, on some versions they seem to have a tendency to tear off?

I run mostly rocks and loose gravel. They are not great on the loose stuff but not terrible either. The lugs are like at 90% or so on the trail freaks with 450 odd km on them. The Neo trails are what I use when it is wet or cold, they have the same lugs as the freaks and do well in the mudd. They are also pretty dam good at keeping water out but are to hot to use in summer. Again, I hope it helps man, I'm probably the worst reveiwish kind of person. But you won't be sorry about buying the tekkies that much I know. Edited by Pieter1

Cape Union Mart (online) is selling Salomon's Sense Ultra 3 (SG and HG versions) for R1200.

Edited by Koei

Cape Union Mart (online) is selling Salomon's Sense Ultra 3 (SG and HG versions) for R1200.

Just received my Ultra's :clap: (it's about time to phase out my Pro's). Funny thing the website only allows to order full (integer) sizes, but I'm a half. I ordered a pair to see how it will fit (return policy FTW!) but by lucky mistake they sent me the correct half-size!

It'll be interesting to see how these hold up against the lil-brother.

Koei, while you've got the word... Am I the only one finding the Pro's are actually downright slippery on anything resembling wet rock? Love it otherwise, they're a bit short of traction on really loose ground, but that's to be expected... but heck, mine are like bars of soap the moment I touch wet rock. Being aware of it does help, but in the Tunnel Run it happened so quickly that I ended with wet feet (fortunately feet only!) just touching a wet rock on the river crossing.

Koei, while you've got the word... Am I the only one finding the Pro's are actually downright slippery on anything resembling wet rock? Love it otherwise, they're a bit short of traction on really loose ground, but that's to be expected... but heck, mine are like bars of soap the moment I touch wet rock. Being aware of it does help, but in the Tunnel Run it happened so quickly that I ended with wet feet (fortunately feet only!) just touching a wet rock on the river crossing.

The grip on this shoe has it's ups and downs, but more ups in my opinion.

I haven't really tested in on wet rock, but I find the grip a bit dodgy to go down a slanted, smooth rock faces (the rocks of Platteklip Gorge to be exact. Otherwise I found the grip to be "adequate". Apart from loose ground (those thin layers of gravel on hard pack soil  :cursing: ) and the case of Platteklip I never had any real grip issues.

Using a stickier compound may have solved those issues, but then the grip will wear down much faster. I prefer lasting grip - if it's at the expense of some of the grippiness.