Trail running shoes

Heel Drop

Any preferences or dont buy those they will fall apart quick?

I am looking to buy a pair and was wondering what people think of the shoes they have what one should look at when buying.

Obviously comfort and qaulity is important

the brands that seem to be top

New Balance

Asics

Nike

Solomons

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a good question , why would I choose the one above the other ?

What are the main differences and how does that impact on running ?

If you don't mind paying, I would say Solomons are the best, otherwise Adidas Kanadia's are a good option too

some one mentioned thats the long rubbers on the Solomons brakes - not sure if thats true ?

some one mentioned thats the long rubbers on the Solomons brakes - not sure if thats true ?

any specific solomon?

I like the Solomons

Also think about:

Your weight

Will you run only off road

Do you want something that will (supposedly) control pronation

Don't really have experience with Solomons but I've heard they're good, and a lot of the best use them, but then again I might've only heard the better reviews

Inov-8 are also a good option to try.I run with Inov-8 Roclite 312GTX

Perrfect for races and training runs where the miles are big and the surroundings unpredictable. Wear the Roclite for several days in the wilderness and it will never let you down. Versatile all-rounder.

I had the Salomon Speedcross 3, the rubber on the edge in the ball of foot area had torn after a week... salomon replaced them though, no big issue there... very comfy shoes...

Have a pair of Salomon S-Lab Fellcross. Great for technical trails. Run both on and off road with them (always a mix of both) and they serve me well. However, they may take some getting use to as they are pretty 'firm' in the beginning. Brother has the Sense Pro and he is more than happy with them too. He is mostly on the road (tri-athlete).

http://www.salomon.com/za/product/s-lab-fellcross-2.html

http://www.salomon.com/za/product/sense-pro.html

I like the Solomons

Also think about:

Your weight

Will you run only off road

Do you want something that will (supposedly) control pronation

thats sounds very technical , but no havent thought of that Edited by Heel Drop

One of the best shoes I've run in is the New Balance 1210. Don't be put off by how soft they feel, exceptional support, hard wearing and a vibram sole. Great on technical trails and dirt roads. Best advice is to buy from a proper running shoe store that has a treadmill so that the sales assistant can determine your foot strike (neutral or over-pronate and 5 % chance that you supinate ).

I'm watching this thread and also hoping for an answer that works for me. I think choosing a new bike is easier than choosing running shoes. I decided to go the minimalist route seen as though I have zero running experience (does 2.4km in army boots count?). I bought the Merrell trail glove 2's. One day they are the best shoes I've ever owned and the next I have blood oozing out the sides of the evil things. Up hill I seem to be fine, but flats and down hill I get nasty blisters on the inside of my feet. I feel a calling to run, but need to find a way to hurt less.

I'm watching this thread and also hoping for an answer that works for me. I think choosing a new bike is easier than choosing running shoes. I decided to go the minimalist route seen as though I have zero running experience (does 2.4km in army boots count?). I bought the Merrell trail glove 2's. One day they are the best shoes I've ever owned and the next I have blood oozing out the sides of the evil things. Up hill I seem to be fine, but flats and down hill I get nasty blisters on the inside of my feet. I feel a calling to run, but need to find a way to hurt less.

2.4Km in army Boots.Now thats a blast from the Past.Should be posted in Who remembers Thread.