Trail running shoes

Heel Drop

Get Injinji socks if those blisters ever decide to resurface.

Makes sense that if your toes are properly aligned & positioned, you will have better distribution of weight.

I may try them actually because I pronate on only foot, so if I get normal shoes my right foot suffers & if I get special pronating shoes, my left one isnt correct. :blush:

The socks may be enough to help me a bit on the right.

Thanks.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I may try them actually because I pronate on only foot,

Had to google the meaning of pronate. Mistake !

I'm a pretty big Saloman fan for trailrunners. Used to run with Adidas, but the Salomans just have a better fit and more support with a more roomy toe box. I run on Paarl mountain on the rocks often and they've kept up well.

Roadrunning I'm on nike, but would take a really good salesman to get me off Saloman for trails.

Enjoying a set of Nike Zoom Wildhorse at the moment, will be my Retto shoe as well. 4mm drop with some cushioning seems to be the sweet spot for me. The new version looks pretty kick ass!

post-5905-0-65218300-1406826689_thumb.jpg

Inov-8 X-Talon, +- 200 grams, gecko like traction and ground hugging flexibility, the ideal trail racing shoe. Strictly for off-road conditions as the lugs will wear out quickly on tar and not for those who place image before function. Expect to pay less than R1000

Edited by Ian-Ross

• 10 months later...

A bit of an X post off the Inov-8 thread.

I'm currently torn between two shoes

Inov8 Trailroc 255

Salomon Fellraiser

Anyone have any input from either of the two?

I run Saucony ProGrid Guide on the road - 8mm drop and found the Saucony Peregrine 4mm drop - to be a great trail shoe - very comfortable.

That being said - my Adidas XTZero`s are great for shorter faster runs.

I know mot people are stuck on either Solomon or Innov8 when it comes to trail but go visit some shops and see what they have available - you might be surprised!

I absolutely love my Salomon Speed Cross 3s, the grip is amazing, but don't use them in the road as the knobblies will wear prematurely, which is an issue on a R 1900 shoe. They can also be a bit on the worm side, awesome in winter, slightly less so in summer.

I'm settled on the Fellraiser (for now...). Wasn't quite sold on the Speedcross and the stores in Stellies didn't have Inov 8's, Saucony's, Asics, NB's or anything else in my size or for my purpose.

So now it's just about figuring out the ideal size   :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a pair of Salomon Speedcross 3's this past weekend, but the White/Blue combo. What, a white shoe for off road running? ArE YoU NuTs :wacko: ?!?

BEEG mistake! Any shoe experts out there, please give me some suggestions on how to fix this mess!

Bought a pair of Salomon Speedcross 3's this past weekend, but the White/Blue combo. What, a white shoe for off road running? ArE YoU NuTs :wacko: ?!?

BEEG mistake! Any shoe experts out there, please give me some suggestions on how to fix this mess!

I lob mine in the washing machine. 

I know they all say not to but the shoes always last quite comfortably up to max mileage.

A clean pair of trail shoes is like a clean mountain bike - underused. Only when the mud starts causing a weight penalty, affects the stiffness or the grip of the shoes, or you cant identify the brand anymore - only then do they require a HAND wash (cold machine if you really must).

Did you really think a white shoe tail shoe will stay white?  :blink: