2 x 10 or 3 x 10

RMmtb8r

I run a 2x10 with 25/38 up front and a 40/11 on rear, OneUp conversion on rear and I spend 95% do the time in 38 up front and use the 25 as a bail out when I'm spent or the climb has beaten me, it's like a 1x11 with a bailout option.......love this.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both - 3x10 on my FS bike for the real mountains (like the Mamba in Sabie), and 2x10 on my hard tail. All Sram.

I'll also never go back to 3x or 2x. I'm on 1x10 with 34t ring and 11-36. I'll probably change the cluster for one with a 42t, but for the moment I'm just carrying on with the plod, and I can ride everything I want to without much trouble. Yes, a 42t at the back would be awesome for those loong ass climbs (I'm talking longer than 3km, with an ascent of more than 300m, which is pretty much what Tokai is to level 4) but even then I'm not in granny all the time.

Another thing is that my shifter is currently doing service as my dropper post actuator, and I can't convert it back to being a shifter. Which is also why I'll not go back to 2x

I am also running 2x10 with 28/39 you can hit 40kph on the open without pedaling like hell, but when you are in the woods then I know why I am running 2x10, I will never go back tp 3x10. My 2x10 hate the open tar....

I'll also never go back to 3x or 2x. I'm on 1x10 with 34t ring and 11-36. I'll probably change the cluster for one with a 42t, but for the moment I'm just carrying on with the plod, and I can ride everything I want to without much trouble. Yes, a 42t at the back would be awesome for those loong ass climbs (I'm talking longer than 3km, with an ascent of more than 300m, which is pretty much what Tokai is to level 4) but even then I'm not in granny all the time.

Another thing is that my shifter is currently doing service as my dropper post actuator, and I can't convert it back to being a shifter. Which is also why I'll not go back to 2x

I pretty much have the same but will probably look at going to a 40 for the rear when Kiwi has them available :) - I had a 32 before but found it a bit of a pain when riding with my mates on 'out rides', since getting the 34 it is somewhat more manageable and I don't feel like I'm unscrewing my hips half the time.

I wouldn't dream of riding that bike at something like Barberton or Sabie classics though, in fact not even my 2*10 at Barberton (suffered too much there this year) - I have a bike with lots of gears for that ;) - lesson learnt

I pretty much have the same but will probably look at going to a 40 for the rear when Kiwi has them available :) - I had a 32 before but found it a bit of a pain when riding with my mates on 'out rides', since getting the 34 it is somewhat more manageable and I don't feel like I'm unscrewing my hips half the time.

I wouldn't dream of riding that bike at something like Barberton or Sabie classics though, in fact not even my 2*10 at Barberton (suffered too much there this year) - I have a bike with lots of gears for that ;) - lesson learnt

When they're here again, won't you give me a shout as well?

Love the variety of 3 x10, dont see the need to change or to put a monster size cassette on the back.

Probably will only change if i buy a new bike and its spec'd with 2 x 10, and even then i'll ask if its available in 3 x 10 first.

Love the variety of 3 x10, dont see the need to change or to put a monster size cassette on the back.

Probably will only change if i buy a new bike and its spec'd with 2 x 10, and even then i'll ask if its available in 3 x 10 first.

'Pissy' as Marius used to say :whistling:

'Pissy' as Marius used to say :whistling:

Gears.... are kind of like money in the bank, I'd rather have to much than to little :w00t:

Whats quite funny is hearing the okes trying to find that right 1 out 30 gears just before they hit a climb....sometimes mid climb...lol...and all you hear is CLUNK BOOM BANG!! hahaha....sounds better in my head... :w00t:....but surely that cant be good for the drive train.

I run 2x10...simple enough for me.

Whats quite funny is hearing the okes trying to find that right 1 out 30 gears just before they hit a climb....sometimes mid climb...lol...and all you hear is CLUNK BOOM BANG!! hahaha....sounds better in my head... :w00t:....but surely that cant be good for the drive train.

I run 2x10...simple enough for me.

At my speed I have enough time to find it ;)

1x10 34T with 11-36 at the back on my HT, is light and all I need to have fun!! 2x10 on my FS, currently don't need any more gears and sometimes I forget I have 2x on my FS hahaha

At my speed I have enough time to find it ;)

haha...my buddy does it all the time...lol.

We're just spoilt for choice...thats all...