Vitamins/Tonics

Jay_B

So I was lucky this year in that i didnt get sick during winter in any way, first time in years. This however allowed me to increase the amount of cycling I have been doing... My question now is with all the increased cycling should i be taking vitamins or some sort of tonic/energy booster to keep me going. I felt this week that I have been in lala land and just havent felt myself at all.

Is there any benefits in using something like Berrocca or Cal-C-Vita?

Rather contact the Docs for this one as each individual needs and reacts differently.

My "boostertjie" looks something like this:

1. Minamino tabs or syrup (almost like BioPlus just no caffeine and/or alcohol)

2. Berocca

3. Brewer's Yeast

4. Vit.E

5. Cal-Mag

6. Breakfast fit for a King

PS: take a week off if you feel a bit under, you might just return stronger after some R,R & R!

Edited by BarHugger

I kept getting headaches after long hard rides and doing research, a lot of pages mentioned magnesium deficiency as a possible cause as u lose magnesium when sweating. Other symptoms include aching muscles which I have been suffering with.

Decided to try a magnesium supplement and after 2 weeks I am feeling so much better. Have more energy, no aching muscles and generally just feel great. Can't believe the difference.

Point is that vitamins can help if u get the right ones for you.

do you guys have any idea on the sugar content of the drinks you take ?

I used to take berroca till they got expensive.

Vit B, C, E and slowmag every day.

Thean as much fresh and pref raw vegs and fruit as I can take ;-)

• 9 months later...

I take nothing at all. I used to. Hardly ever got sick when I took vitamins. Now I don't take anything I still hardly ever get sick. Made no difference at all.

Cheaper to take nothing. Tastes better too.

I believe in taking Vitamins as I first hand experienced a vitamin deficiency after my second pregnancy and can promise anybody that it is not a myth  but a reality.  I take Vit C, B, Omega oils and more..

But I also believe that to mono-dose yourself ( my own word) with specific vitamins will create a imbalance in your body and therefore also take a good Multivitamin.  I will also alternate between different brands as all of them have a different nutritional make up.

I cannot say that I have not been ill but do find that I  if I do get sick, I normally contract a milder version of any thing going around  and my body heals up faster.

Each to its own  but have not been to a doctor for years. 

Just for an example :

Because adequate dietary chromium helps to maintain insulin sensitivity, chromium deficiency can contribute to the development of diabetes and metabolic syndrome. Even mild deficiencies of chromium can produce problems in blood sugar metabolism, and contribute to other symptoms such as anxiety or fatigue.

Edited by Mads

Consider a simple POLAR CS200, this is a bike mounted computer that does HR, speed, cadence, and what I really like is that it shows the time of the specific HR zones you spent time in during your ride, you should be able to get one for under R2000 or give me a buzz/message, I have a complete spare one at home that you most welcome to try out....

Hi,

Had an old doctor buddie that had run plenty Comrades and his advice was to take a calcium suppliment every day.

I do every morning and hope it helps.

Sarge

I used to take a multi vitamin everyday as well as vit C and a few others, Then in December I moved house and it all got packed away. To date they haven't been unpacked and I feel no difference. We have a veggie garden at home so 90% of my veggies are fresh home grown, plus a decent diet and i'm able to ride hard and far. I do about 1000kms a month and race often. IMHO good diet FTW.

I believe in taking Vitamins as I first hand experienced a vitamin deficiency after my second pregnancy and can promise anybody that it is not a myth  but a reality.  I take Vit C, B, Omega oils and more..

But I also believe that to mono-dose yourself ( my own word) with specific vitamins will create a imbalance in your body and therefore also take a good Multivitamin.  I will also alternate between different brands as all of them have a different nutritional make up.

I cannot say that I have not been ill but do find that I  if I do get sick, I normally contract a milder version of any thing going around  and my body heals up faster.

Each to its own  but have not been to a doctor for years. 

Just for an example :

Because adequate dietary chromium helps to maintain insulin sensitivity, chromium deficiency can contribute to the development of diabetes and metabolic syndrome. Even mild deficiencies of chromium can produce problems in blood sugar metabolism, and contribute to other symptoms such as anxiety or fatigue.

I know of a Pretty Woman in the USA that got quite upset when they added chromium to the water :ph34r:

Im trying a new "concoction"

I take:

A quarter onion

1 clove garlic

Ginger the size of a thumb

Quarter of a lemon.

Table spoon honey.

I then blend it all together, and then drink with water

Sorry I forgot to add, I take 1000mg Vitamin C and Moducare.

Edited by bclark

I take 1000mg of vitamin c daily and 250mg of zinc... That will bee up until the end of the month as an added precaution...and then from then I'll let my natural defences work