Front shock psi

Uni

Busy prepping my bike for early tomorrow notice the shocks have come back from service on Friday too soft, I.e just leaning on the handle bars it bottoms out. -30 psi Tried googling - there must be a formula - x kgs = X psi ?

Edited by Uni

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Uni, Don't know what my fork pressure is but I pump it up, get on the bike in a doorway and then get off. My shock must go down 20-25% and then it is ok for me. After that I start fiddling with the rabbit/tortoise thingy at the bottom. Guess this does not help much but this is the way I do it.

Busy prepping my bike for early tomorrow notice the shocks have come back from service on Friday too soft, I.e just leaning on the handle bars it bottoms out. Tried googling - there must be a formula - x kgs = X psi ?

There should be a sticker on your shock. Guidlines for psi vs your body weight Edited by Vetseun

A good starting point as far as i know is to match it with your weight. If you weigh 80kg then Inflate to 80psi. Thats for the front. I have a fox ctd rear shock, in lock or climb mode activated you softly climb onto the bike and sit down. The rear shock should not move more than 20% of total travel.

The rabbit knob at the bottom is your rebound..it adjusts the fork to either come up slower or faster.

Ok no stickers on the fork except for a cautionary thing.

Hard tail bike, suntour air shock up front.

I've set it for what feels sort of right, will just take the shock pump with tomorrow. Glad I checked it though. Thanks guys.

Put a cable tie around one of the stanchions, just tight enough that it doesn't just slide up and down without being pushed. Push the cable tie down to the seal. Carefully get onto the bike without putting too much weight onto the fork, get off in the same way. Measure how far the cable tie has moved, should be about 20 to 25% of your forks travel.

There should be a sticker on your shock. Guidlines for psi vs your body weight

Stickers only on Rockshox.

Real Forks, i.e Lefty or Fox don't come with stickers :ph34r:

Strange that they havent thought of sometging so basic yet.

That's because "recommended pressures" are a steaming pile.

Set pressure according to sag - 20% for short travel forks, 25 - 30% for longer travel as a guide, then see how much available travel is used during a decent ride and adjust so you bottom once or twice per ride.

Anything else is guesswork.

I didn't get round to doing all the climb on, climb off cable tie tricks, but she retained the pressure today during a 30km not too bumpy ride so maybe it was just a once off weird thing. Tx those - will revert if we find out what happened for reference purposes.

That's because "recommended pressures" are a steaming pile.

Set pressure according to sag - 20% for short travel forks, 25 - 30% for longer travel as a guide, then see how much available travel is used during a decent ride and adjust so you bottom once or twice per ride.

Anything else is guesswork.

I am sure you have just helped the manufacturers out big time. Droo from good old RSA has just taught Sram that stickers in their shocks are a load of hogwash. Well done! Respect Edited by Vetseun